• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/24-1/25 storm

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Another ugly chart:

genplot.php

WinnChill

True--a dry slot is typically the area behind a cold front that clears out before the upper level low fills the clouds back in with some residual precip. Sometimes called the "sucker hole."

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
True--a dry slot is typically the area behind a cold front that clears out before the upper level low fills the clouds back in with some residual precip. Sometimes called the "sucker hole."

Hey Winnchill, I appreciate all the know-how. How do you know so much? Did you study this stuff and/or are you a pro?

drjeff

The only positive spin I can put on today is that within hours, a lot of the water falling from the sky will be back in the sky in it's frozen form as it's launched out of a snowgun! :fangun:

Oh than that, today sucks weather wise! :mad:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
If I had a day off, I'd probably head for the hills anyways just to be outside. I'd work on form, do drills, take a lesson or do something. It's still winter after all, an there still is snow to work with!
Day off successfully switched to tomorrow. I'll be skiing for sure.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
The only positive spin I can put on today is that within hours, a lot of the water falling from the sky will be back in the sky in it's frozen form as it's launched out of a snowgun! :fangun:

Oh than that, today sucks weather wise! :mad:
Here's another positive spin...

Yesterday I skied two runs in the pouring rain. At one point I had to stop mid trail just to wipe my goggles clean with a lens cloth. I figure that counts as a mid-season washing of the ski gear.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
KingM, I don't think you're in a slot. It looks like the leading edge is about to hit you. :cry:

Yep, it has started to rain. Just a light drizzle and no problem yet for skiing. I've looked at the map though and see those big orange bands in the green that have all of the appearance of the Hammer of Doom.

Looks like the ME to SNE has been getting pounded for some time, though? Are the SNE resorts going to be reduced to WRODs when this is over?

:cry:

Beetlenut

Saddleback shut down today to weather the rain event!

We have a dreadful forecast for Monday which calls for sleet early changing to rain by mid-day. Rain could be heavy at times during the day but will change to snow during Monday night. We also expect very high gusty winds. Given the forecast, we will not operate for skiing Monday and will plan to re-open Tuesday morning at 9:00 AM. We have a deep base of very dry snow and there is little to no frost in the ground. The thinking is that if we stay off of the snow, water will be able to drain through the snow pack and into the ground. Once the snow has been allowed to drain out and returning cold temperatures set up the snow, the surfaces should groom up well.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Remember the year, was it 2 or three ago when we had such a dearth of snow for such a prolonged period, that a large movement was underfoot to find the cheapest way out west. Lot more chatter about that than the east ski conditions.

Looking for a fast turn-around here.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
Still just a few sprinkles up here. Looking at the radar, it has been mostly rotating around Vermont instead of hitting us. I know we'll get some r*** before we're done, but every hour that goes by without seeing it is that much more snow pack we'll retain when it finishes.