• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

12/26 - 27 Storm Discussion Thread

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
IMG_0396.JPG

I have 4-5 feet in my back yard depending on which way the wind is blowing at the moment.

The snowfall line was so drastic. Philipsburg is 9 miles west of me and got 3.5", Hackettstown is 9 miles east and got 7". I probably fell somewhere around 5-6", and I can see grass in my front lawn, depending on which way the wind is blowing at the moment.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
New snow/base in the northeast 12/27/10

Bretton Woods 34" 10-30"
Saddleback 26-30" 20-36"
Tuxedo Ridge 26" 44-57" Packed Powder
Wildcat 24" 10-24" Powder
Mt Peter 21" 24-60" Powder
Cannon Mountain 21" 10-30" Powder
Ski Butternut 20" 22-42" Packed Powder
Jiminy Peak 20" 15-50" Powder
Bousquet 19" 16-30" Powder
Okemo Mountain 18-22" 30-45" Powder
Catamount 18-20" 20-36" Powder
Sugarloaf 18-20" 15-35" Powder
Sunday River 18" 38-42" Powder
Hunter Mountain 18" 30-75" Powder
Woodbury 18" 26-60" Packed Powder
Mount Sunapee 18" 24-42" Packed Powder
Mt Abram 18" 14-22" Powder
Bromley Mountain 17" 12-28" Powder
Pineridge XC 16" 17-520" Powder
Great Glen Trails XC 16" 3-5" Packed Powder
Gunstock 16" 24-48" Packed Powder
Mountain Creek 16" 20-35" Packed Powder
Quechee Lakes 16" 18-30" Powder
Mount Snow 16" 16-32" Powder
Okemo Nordic Center 16" 2-12" Powder

Snow Report Data provided by SnoCountry Mountain Reports

Back to Ski Welcome

ERJ-145CA

My wife says we got about 18" or so at home, unfortunately I'm stranded in Rochester, NY. Hopefully getting home tomorrow so I can ski Hidden Valley with my son on Wednesday.

planb420

I was out for over 10 hours of straight riding @ Ski Sundown, it was a blast to watch the storm progress from nothing to FULL BLOWN BLIZZ :snow:conditions at some points on Gunny! Fresh powder stashes EVERYWHERE on the mountain and the institution was empty by 6ish (I LOVE BEING A LOCAL!!!!! Less than 1 mile away:razz:) leaving wide open runs...I believe I also took a sweet digger in the pow off the step up while Greg was riding in the lift overhead!!!!!:beer: THE PLACE WAS EPIC CANT SAY THAT ENOUGH, it was my best day out in a few years but my legs are TOASTED, but it was well worth it!:snow::snow::snow:

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
Kind of a dud for me too. We got dry-slotted hard core. Maybe 8-10". Maybe a foot-ish. No way to tell. I go from 0-18"+ in my yard....

WinnChill

Same here--snow hole across south-central NH overnight kept totals under a foot. We finally got some heavier bands to wrap back in Monday morning for a few more inches--about 7-10" total.

drjeff

Same here--snow hole across south-central NH overnight kept totals under a foot. We finally got some heavier bands to wrap back in Monday morning for a few more inches--about 7-10" total.

I felt like yesterday from what I saw at my place at Mount Snow compared to what I saw at my house in Northeast CT could be summarized by Dicken's opening line in A Tale of Two Cities "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...."

Mount Snow - TOTALLY believe their 22" final total. I had a drift across the entire width of my back deck that was mid-chest deep on me (and I'm 6'3") no dry slotting across So VT!

Got home to my house in NE CT about 8:30 last night, I'd estimate the average snow depth on my driveway was 4 to maybe 6" Probably 10% of the pavement showing do to the wind, deepest drift was 12, maybe 14". Re-watching the time lapse, mega dry-slotting on the 395 corridor in NE CT yesterday. I'd guess that I ended up with somewhere arounf 6" total here in CT

WinnChill

Did you see those snow bands just camped out over N NH and N ME?! Whoa! Those totals for Bretton-Saddle-Sugarloaf were intense! :-D

drjeff

Did you see those snow bands just camped out over N NH and N ME?! Whoa! Those totals for Bretton-Saddle-Sugarloaf were intense! :-D

Yup, my brother was lucky enough to arrive Sunday AM at Brettonwoods and is there through Thursday - some of the texts and pics he was sending me yesterday had me pretty envious of the "measily 20+ " I was in at Mount Snow :lol:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
The wind definitely made it interesting. All the snow is blown off the lawn in the front yard but the front sidewalk (which is lower than the yard) had snow between knee and hip deep when I shoveled it tonight.

awf170

Well, it looks like Saddleback Maine and Elizebeth New Jersey were the big winners.

http://www.saddlebackmaine.com/conditions

Saddleback has to have the most consistent over reporting in the east. I have never seen them report less than Sugarloaf, and in most cases they report about 20% more. Maybe they actually get more than Sugarloaf, but I kind of doubt it.

Last 7 days: (straight from their websites)

Sugarloaf: 28-32
Saddleback: 49-53

So 21 inches more than Sugarloaf? I call bullshit on that.

WinnChill

Saddleback has to have the most consistent over reporting in the east. I have never seen them report less than Sugarloaf, and in most cases they report about 20% more. Maybe they actually get more than Sugarloaf, but I kind of doubt it.

Last 7 days: (straight from their websites)

Sugarloaf: 28-32
Saddleback: 49-53

So 21 inches more than Sugarloaf? I call bullshit on that.

Consider slope orientation. Winds hitting slopes head on will enhance upslope snows. Sugarloaf is N-NE facing, so as the storm was passing by Cape Cod, northeast winds gave them a good upslope component through morning/midday. Then the winds shifted NW the rest of the day/overnight and beyond which favored Saddleback for a longer period of time and higher snow totals. This storm really overperformed for Maine resorts mainly due to upsloping and some heavy snow bands just hovering over that area for a long period of time.

xwhaler

As someone who has skied more days in my life at Sugarloaf and Saddleback than anyplace else, I will say that Saddleback typically does get a bit more snow than the Loaf.
The NW orientation certainly helps Saddleback as does the difference in elevation of the base lodges.
Saddleback's base is 2,460 while SL is 1,417....certainly 1000' can make a difference I would think for non-major events when SB picks up a few quick inches while SL stays dry.

Furthermore, and I'm not sure how much this would come into play but it's worth noting. The Rangeley Lakes region is filled with big time lakes. Rangely and Mooselookmeguntic combine for over 24k acres of open water. When you add in the other big lakes in the area, you are over 40k acres easily.

Again, unsure if this is enough to induce any kind of lake effect but if so, this is another advantage SB has over the Loaf.

snoseek

I think the elevation alone explains why they get a bit more.