• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

12/26 - 27 Storm Discussion Thread

deadheadskier

Staff member
It looks to me like EVERYBODY IN CT, RI, MA, VT, NH is gonna get nailed! Look at this 2:30pm model update.
The real storm started snowing in Flatlandachusetts about 2:30pm.

N-EAST_WRF_SFC_ACCUM-SNOWFALL_48HR.gif

:lol:

figures that pretty much all of New England is expecting 18 inches, yet Ragged, right smack dab in the middle is in the 8-10 zone. :smash:

MommaBear

That's a big and welcome change from what they were showing for the north country just yesterday.

Had I seen those numbers earlier - instead of the 1 to 3" I saw yesterday, I would have been in the car headed north this morning. Now its too late. :cry:

Glenn

We drove back from vt this am. We hit a band of snow when we left.....until greenfieldish. Got home a bit before noon. Traffic heading north ws busy! Most vehicles had a coffin, ski rack, or trailering sleds...it was a cool sight.

Glad we got home when we did. We just got back from running some errands and it looks like traffic on the Merit is crawling along at about 35mph.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I don't think that is right - I can't remember what year it was but we were in FL, I think for MLK weekend, with all 3 kids - so it had to be after 2000 - and CT got 15-18". I remember calling home to a neighbor to check on our house. And arrived home to find they had kindly plowed our driveway.

I think they were doing single storm results so if there were consecutive storms over a weekend, then that would be different... Still, their data didn't seem right to me either... But it's been a while.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
That's a big and welcome change from what they were showing for the north country just yesterday.
Yeah, the whole thing pushed inland. And the north winds will be kind to the mountains upslope.

Explain to me again why my ski jacket is at the cleaners getting the grease cleaned off of it?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
We drove back from vt this am. We hit a band of snow when we left.....until greenfieldish. Got home a bit before noon. Traffic heading north ws busy! Most vehicles had a coffin, ski rack, or trailering sleds...it was a cool sight.

Glad we got home when we did. We just got back from running some errands and it looks like traffic on the Merit is crawling along at about 35mph.

Going to Mecca...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Had I seen those numbers earlier - instead of the 1 to 3" I saw yesterday, I would have been in the car headed north this morning. Now its too late. :cry:

I really don't undestand these islands of nothingness. How can they possible predict this? Except maybe for Riverc0il-ville, which prolly won't see any snow this winter!

Glenn

Going to Mecca...

I'd love to be skiing tomorrow. I'm hoping some of the AZ Mt Snow crew will make some turns for us.

What a storm though! Much different from what we're used to. Under promised and over delivered.

mikestaple

This one is behaving as advertised. Big huge flakes near the cape are starting to just so lightly switch into some rain. Winds picking up and the electricity just flickered off for a good 5 seconds. Just has to stay on until the Pack finishes off the Gmen!

ski220

I don't think that is right - I can't remember what year it was but we were in FL, I think for MLK weekend, with all 3 kids - so it had to be after 2000 - and CT got 15-18". I remember calling home to a neighbor to check on our house. And arrived home to find they had kindly plowed our driveway.

It wasn't all that long ago - 2007. I remember it quite well. I was at Stowe and it was dumping. In Stamford it snowed, rained, froze then changed back to rain. My sister called to tell me I had water in my basement. I drove back to deal with the mess and missed one of the most epic days in VT.

ski220

Right now it's blowing out of the east 25 mph and gusting to 45 at my house.

Radar shows snow only getting to southern Vt. at this point. Have to wonder whether points north will see much.???

roark

Since I'm in Argentina I can guarantee this one will deliver for Magic. Enjoy all!

drjeff

I'm guessing I'm approaching between 4 and 6" at my place at Mount Snow - the snow is light, and while the winds aren't too bad now (gusting to maybe 20-25 now), the snow is so light and fluffy that on the wind side of my place that the drift on my deck behind my grill is about equal in height as the cooking surface, while on th other side of my place, some of the pavement in the parking lot has been blown clean by the wind :eek:

SKIQUATTRO

13" here on the north shore of LI at 1030pm,,,, winds howlin' lights flickering,,,, just did shoveling round 2 and took a drive to test out the burbans 4x4 and snowtires, handled great!!