• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

12/5 Storm Discussion Thread

polski

Website
twitter.com
I'll skin Wa if they get more than mountains around here. :D

Anyone know how friendly Crotched is for skinning when they're not open? (With usual assumptions -- stay away from mountain ops.) Slightly N of Wa and after reading/seeing a bunch of reports, my hunch is they (and Granite Gorge?) are pretty well situated for max accum from this weekend's event. Whether that's enough to be worth the effort is a separate question, and a game-day call.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
With the shifting forecast, I had considered Crotched as an option as well. I think any area currently engaging in active snow making is going to be unfriendly to the thought of people hiking up there while they are trying to work. So finding an area of the mountain not having active snow making would be a good idea.

polski

Website
twitter.com
Crotched has a pretty good spread, especially considering the old "Crotched East" (still and probably permanently NELSAP territory) if any of that is still skiable. And though they seriously know how to do snowmaking there, they can't blow snow on 100% of the mountain at once. So I'm thinking this has potential, though I'd still appreciate intelligence if anyone has it re how they've treated actual uphill skiers who are being sensible about their endeavors.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Crotched unbelievably can cover their entire mountain in 2 days with manmade. Seen it happen multiple times. All it takes is water and money, which they seem to have. The natural is only looking like about 3", but the NWS is hedging a little in case the storm "sticks around a little longer." WaWa and Nashoba skier factory will be happy. I see JP started blowing snow yesterday. The big question in my mind is, "will the cold stick around for a while?"

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
36.5*F and cloudy right now. Lots of virga over us on radar. NWS calling for a total of 2-4". Waiting for flakes to fall.

wa-loaf

Winter weather advisory

... Winter weather advisory in effect from 3 pm this afternoon to 7 am est sunday...

The national weather service in taunton has issued a winter weather advisory for snow... Which is in effect from 3 pm this afternoon to 7 am est sunday.

Low pressure developing off the carolina coast will move northeastward today and pass southeast of nantucket tonight. This low will aid in spreading precipitation northward into southern new england starting later this morning. Most of the precipitation should be in the form of rain at the start... Except perhaps the higher elevations where there may be a mix to start. As the precipitation get heavier this afternoon... Snow levels will begin to fall as the afternoon progresses. The connecticut valley will be the last place to transition over to all snow and this may take until around sunset.

Snow may fall heavily this evening before tapering off and ending after midnight. Storm total snow accumulations are expected to range from 2 to 5 inches... Except 3 to 6 inches with locally higher amounts possible on the higher terrain. The snow may initially be wet and heavy and this could allow for scattered power outages. There is a low probability that a portion of this winter weather advisory may have to be upgraded to a winter storm warning if it looks as though snow amounts will be higher.

Greg

Staff member
39*F and it just started snowing. Big dry slot it looks like though.

2knees

with the 12:26 update, they're calling for the heaviest snow in western hartford county.

right where sundown resides..... too bad its falling on 50 degree bare ground.

ERJ-145CA

The snow is coming down in NW NJ, it started about an hour ago but it is now really heavy. Just starting to stick to the grass and cars.:grin:

twinplanx

12/5-6 Storm Totals

Ok so it's only mid-day Saturday but let us know whats accumulating and where:grin:please

ERJ-145CA

Figured I'd add a pic from my front door a few minutes ago. It's finally looking like winter. The problem is the jones just kicked into ultra-high gear but noplace is open.
snow12-5-09_DR.jpg

polski

Website
twitter.com
Crotched unbelievably can cover their entire mountain in 2 days with manmade. Seen it happen multiple times. All it takes is water and money, which they seem to have.
Yes, their snowmaking is extremely impressive, though I haven't personally seen them go from zero to 100% quite that quickly. Interesting writeup of their snowmaking here, but I must say I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around the claim that they can make snow at temps up to 36F :-o