• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/3 Storm Discussion Thread

twinplanx

The forecast for the towns I live and work in are out of the Upton NY office. The forecast for one town north of where I work....somewhere in eastern Mass.

So no matter what I read, I'm always getting a NYC or Baaaaaaaaaaaaaawstun bias. :p

Upton is at least 60 miles from NYC. But prolly a lil' BiaS toward the metro/I-95 corridor. Sorry for the geography lesson, just wanted to clear that up. Long Island is not the sixth borough.

Damn I'm on fire today!

Where the heck is GSS, no internet out west?

Zand

Crazy. 2 days ago this was a lakes cutter. Now it might be going out to sea. NW TREND COME BACK!!

Great year to be a senior, I'll say that. 7 snow days so far, not even halfway home and we don't have to make up a single one (until we start going to school on Saturdays, that is).

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The forecast for the towns I live and work in are out of the Upton NY office. The forecast for one town north of where I work....somewhere in eastern Mass.

So no matter what I read, I'm always getting a NYC or Baaaaaaaaaaaaaawstun bias. :p

NWS doesn't really care about stupid skiers and boarders that insist upon endangering themselves with frostbite, broken limbs and death. There aren't enough of us to matter.
Now, protecting life and property of the masses, and shorefront property, that's where the priority is. They pay a lot of attention to FEMA and similar state agencies.

Jisch

It's official, this storm has hype. I was just at the packie picking up uhm "supplies", the old dude in front of me with an 18er of Bud Lite said its going to be a blizzard. Done deal.

John

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It's official, this storm has hype. I was just at the packie picking up uhm "supplies", the old dude in front of me with an 18er of Bud Lite said its going to be a blizzard. Done deal.

John

Well then, this must be a call to action, isn't it? Get your plans in place. Get bread. Gas the car. Put the voice message and email responders out of office on for Tues/Wed. Make sure everyone is safe at home. House secured. Sand, salt prepared. Purchase extra snow shovels. Scout Liftopia.com for the best deals. Set the alarm for 4AM.

You know the drill.....:dunce:

Jisch

Actually I was thinking I need to get the snowblower fixed!

I work from home, perhaps the ONLY bad part of working from home is that I don't get to use snow as an excuse not to work.

John :-D

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Actually I was thinking I need to get the snowblower fixed!

I work from home, perhaps the ONLY bad part of working from home is that I don't get to use snow as an excuse not to work.

You probably use a cell phone too, so I can't come over and yank the telco cord out either "hey, the line is dead!". See, the more advanced our technology, the more backwards we become!

gmcunni

i recently started working from home too. wi-fi and good cell coverage means I can work from the mountain, taking a few runs between calls and meetings :)

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
i recently started working from home too. wi-fi and good cell coverage means I can work from the mountain, taking a few runs between calls and meetings :)
It's expected, during inclement weather, that I work from home. Helps with keeping up with shoveling. I haven't called my new boss with the "snow day" message yet but my old one was really cool with it.

Greg

Staff member
Wow. Some models are predicting an 1"+ of liquid equivalent for BDL. That's a solid foot+. Sweet!

gmcunni

i find it annoying that the TV weather people will not comit to a forecast. they all talk about this model and that model. WTF do they get paid for? take a stand and make a prediction!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Joe Joyce says 3-6" "maybe" for Tues. Two days out and the warnings were not being sounded, so despite that "maybe", it seems like 3-6" is likely a best case scenario... otherwise the forecast would have more dire "maybes" being tossed around. I'll take 3-6" considering the earliest projections from the models were calling for a completely above freezing drencher for all of New England. Dodged a bullet plus a few inches in favored areas, sweet.

eatskisleep

Austin, how about Wildcat Saturday? Cheap ticket on lifttopia.com

Greg

Staff member
Still staying offshore to the SE. Maybe it'll work closer. How come the mets always get the good forecasts wrong and the bad ones right? But agreed, still better than the initial forecast of an Apps Runner or Lakes Cutter.