• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

machski

Yep, the pipe they put in in that era was junk, ask Sugarbush. A lot of cheap valve stations too. Some of the stuff I've seen at the River made me cringe.
I know they've changed out a lot of the critical valve stations the last several years, but haven't seen much new pipe run to replace old pipe anyway on hill (obviously, new pipe has been run for new or relocated lines). Barker and Jordan lifts should be upgraded, but the rest are ok IMHO and would rather see those $$$ not be spent in the 2030 plan there but in on hill snowmaking plumbing upgrades/overhauls. If they can't keep the system up, shinny new lifts will just be that, shinny lifts doing nothing.

parahelia

So I was worried that Tuesday's sleetfest would make the naturals unskiable until a refresh came. I'm happy to report I'm wrong. Conditions aren't as good as they were a week ago, but there's still bumps and soft snow to be had. Lapped Oz for a while today, no line and Eureka and Flying Monkey were fun (though Monkey could use a brush trim).

The Ikon/Silver blackout dates seem to have totally altered the Feb. vacation week dynamics. It was nearly empty President's Day weekend. Crowds have been building all week though, and yesterday (Thursday) saw the longest lines I'd been in all season (and this was before Barker crapped out). Despite that, the crowds tend to go for the same few lifts and you can avoid them. They're sold out today and Saturday.

Went to Sugarloaf Wednesday, cold but had a great time; they fared better than SR from Tuesday's event. Naturals were fun, but the groomers looked pretty scoured. Luckily they're easy to avoid. I forgot just how long the lines can get at Sugarloaf when everyone wants to get to the good stuff off Skyline (Timberline was closed). Waits of ~10 minutes on Skyline into the afternoon - impressive for a cold Wednesday.

RiverRunner

Spent all day in the trees this weekend..

West Side:
Gulch is skiing well, bumps are set up nice and not many grabbers lurking. Rock drop in the lower section getting skied off a bit but a good landing zone off the right side

Blind from the Excalibur entrance was phenomenal. Great coverage and little traffic through there.

3rd entrance to poppy fields was a treat, both blue and yellow lines well covered and set up

Gnarnia>Tango link up was another good one.. stayed skiers right up top, cut over to skiers left (rock drop was flat and skied out), then cut hard right below the 3 mile cutover. Good lines all through Tango

Middle line of Chutzpah was crusty from the Thursday sleet, need some jump turns to break through untracked spots.

North woods losing cover in the first section but fun in the middle portion

Eureka to Emerald City is as good as it gets right now, very fun and not a lot of tracks through Emerald

Monkeys top section is getting rough, lower half still fun but getting thin

Spruce Cliffs, first 2/3 skiing really nicely, skier’s right is the only line through the bottom section without having to huck onto a very flat landing

Of note, they groomed down the middle of heat with bumps on either side. Throwing it back to when men were men and Heat had some teeth!

Hopefully some cover coming this week to set us up for March

machski

Skied great today with the top coat from ma nature. Got a bit warmish, at least on the lower half of the mountain even without much sun. West woods and nats are great still, Eastern side nats are getting thin. Suppose to have a few fairly warm days over the next several, though may be split with a bit of white on Saturday, still TBD. Got into some off map lines, weather wasn't kind especially to birches this season. Several need some offseason deadfall help.

machski

Great week and weekend at the Rivah! Yesterday the snow started late at about 1030am but then came down hard between 1230-2pm. Then came in bursts all through early evening. First day I skied into twilight time, great day. Guess we got a spritz of rain overnight but barley noticable today. All the natural stuff skies great, woods back to fine form. It got warm, so tomorrow morning may be a bit firm but should soften. Weekday warriors, get at it tomorrow because Tuesday much will be locked up hard that softened today and tomorrow.

cdskier

Might be an odd question, but anyone know what happened to uphillklimber? I just realized he hasn't posted in this thread in about a month now. Odd for someone that used to post pretty regular updates. Hope he's ok...

skiur

Might be an odd question, but anyone know what happened to uphillklimber? I just realized he hasn't posted in this thread in about a month now. Odd for someone that used to post pretty regular updates. Hope he's ok...
He stopped posting shortly after some controversy in a post about him colliding or almost colliding with someone while skiing.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
He stopped posting shortly after some controversy in a post about him colliding or almost colliding with someone while skiing.

Yeah and people were being BRUTAL to him about it, imo.

Hope he comes back as I always check this thread before going up to SR for conditions. He's also the one who worked at SR for a couple years, correct? He always had some kind of inside scoop.

cdskier

I totally forgot about that thread. Out of curiosity I just looked at the timing. He continued to post here for another 10 days or so after he started that thread...

Yeah and people were being BRUTAL to him about it, imo.

Hope he comes back as I always check this thread before going up to SR for conditions. He's also the one who worked at SR for a couple years, correct? He always had some kind of inside scoop.
Yea, some responses were a bit over the top. Timing is still a little off on him stopping posting though if he was bothered by the responses in that thread. Hope he comes back too. I don't ski SR, but I did enjoy reading his regular updates on conditions.

downdraft

Uphillclimber, if you are reading this, as a regular Sunday River skier, I hope all is good with you. I enjoyed reading your posts and hope to meet you at Barker (when things return to normal) or out on the hill someday.

machski

Windy and now the area is totally without power. CMP says they won't put crews up in buckets with this kind of wind (can't say I blame them). Though I do hope our condo complex doesn't get too cold.

I have spoken to Uphillclimber, he is overall ok but had to take some time off hill. He should be back, I'll reach out and check on him.

2Planker

Been there done that.
I remember a XMas Day many years ago. When the whole place was on wind hold.
We had to SnoMo up Kansas to get there.
We honkered down w/ 120mph winds almost blowing the top shack away.
It was absolutely insane for 3-4 hours

IIRC, we closed everrything by 11-12

cdskier

Hey guys, still here. Some of you may have noticed that I crossed my tips some 5 weeks ago. Right leg collapsed, but fortunately folded in the direction it was intended. Butt went to heel and I'm pretty sure that shin went to toe, but the boot didn't break(????) Knee is 99 1/2% back. Ankle is 90-95% depending on the day. I've missed more days than I care to admit. Just not a whole lot to add.

Anyone see this about the Snowcap Inn? I hear power has been out across the mountain since shortly after noon. They have shut down for the day.
View attachment 50706
Glad to hear you're getting closer to everything being back to 100%. Like I said, I don't ski SR, but I did enjoy reading your posts and seeing your passion for skiing.

downdraft

Hey guys, still here. Some of you may have noticed that I crossed my tips some 5 weeks ago. Right leg collapsed, but fortunately folded in the direction it was intended. Butt went to heel and I'm pretty sure that shin went to toe, but the boot didn't break(????) Knee is 99 1/2% back. Ankle is 90-95% depending on the day. I've missed more days than I care to admit. Just not a whole lot to add.

Anyone see this about the Snowcap Inn? I hear power has been out across the mountain since shortly after noon. They have shut down for the day.
View attachment 50706
Welcome back. Glad you are feeling better and that you didn't break or tear anything!

downdraft

I consider myself lucky. Didn't break or tear anything, but I sure pulled some things. Ankle probably got he worst of the spraining. Knee was real sore at first, but as soon as I got myself up and started walking, it started coming back to normal. I skied down, basically, on one ski, that ankle was plenty sore. I've been back out, but it is mostly groomers and moguls, not too much off trail outside of Blind ambition and I I did do Shockwave, slower than usual, but I did it! I still gotta heal up. I'm paying way too much attention to how my leg feels when I ski.
Nothing wrong with taking it a bit easier until you are fully healed.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Check this out--the Denmark Arts Center is doing a virtual Greg Stump movie festival. Shared on the Sunday River Enthusiasts Group