• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

jaytrem

Only 30 runs, pathetic! I was knocking out about 100 per day while I was in the midwest last week.

Seriously though, looks like a nice full day, way to get at it!

KustyTheKlown

Solid vert there. And the horizontal is crazy

sunday river has some really fun lines when there is snow. all the natural terrain off jordan and oz, gnarnia, the woods to either side of white cap. but holy shit it is such a bunch of fucking sub 1400 vertical pods. 31 runs to get 40k vert! not complaining, had a great day, but horizontal is right. i parked at white cap and it was sunny and warm and i only wore my glove liners and i shed a flannel i normally wear. then i trekked to jordan to start skiing and wanted to be warmer and my car was so far. it got warmer around 11 tho and it was all good. took like 4 runs to get all the way across to jordan and then slowly worked my way back skiing everything that was open. a lot of terrain available. impressive considering the bullshit.

Last edited:

machski

Was a great day, got a bit over 38K vert in myself. Kusty, hope you looked around especially in the afternoon. While none of our sustained or steep trees were really in play, 3 solid off map spots skied great once the snow softened later on. Don't know if they ever dropped the rope on iCarumba! again, they had not as of noon. But they did on Top Gun and Shockwave. Even Upper Downdraft which was au natrual this season and skied great, except for the narrow exit line at the bottom. They didn't open that yesterday oddly enough, perhaps saving it for the weekend? Loved Excalibur ungroomed though many were not enjoying that. Wish they'd do that more often honestly.

KustyTheKlown

Was a great day, got a bit over 38K vert in myself. Kusty, hope you looked around especially in the afternoon. While none of our sustained or steep trees were really in play, 3 solid off map spots skied great once the snow softened later on. Don't know if they ever dropped the rope on iCarumba! again, they had not as of noon. But they did on Top Gun and Shockwave. Even Upper Downdraft which was au natrual this season and skied great, except for the narrow exit line at the bottom. They didn't open that yesterday oddly enough, perhaps saving it for the weekend? Loved Excalibur ungroomed though many were not enjoying that. Wish they'd do that more often honestly.

i dont know the place well enough to venture off map or really into the woods at all in such low tide, but i had a great day skiing what was open. the ungroomed that was available, including the troughs on the sides of groomed trails, skied super nice as the day warmed. i was eyeing the oz liftline. it looked really nice and i bet it was only closed bc of the snowmaking pipes across the top. decided not to poach it tho. i just dont know the lay of the land enough to ski like an asshole the way i do at places that feel like home

i did ski top gun and shockwave, and also downdraft with the funky exit. vortex skied pretty good. bumps on side of right stuff skied real good.

Last edited:

Andrew B.

It was open early but closed by 9:30
Saw the patroller picking his way down on one ride and he must have radio’s to close it because next lift ride it was roped.

machski

It was open early but closed by 9:30
Saw the patroller picking his way down on one ride and he must have radio’s to close it because next lift ride it was roped.
I figured it froze up a bit and got funky (may have snuck a woods run too early and discovered it needed more time 😜). SW/TG/DD were all closed early and opened later on and skied great, but obviously the Carumba entrance was shot and the lower section would have been down to dirt with any level of traffic.

Kusty, Oz Line (Ruby Palace BTW) was closed because of the waterfall section about halfway down the upper half. It never held snow or its usual Ice Coating very well this year and I doubt it was passable in any sense ski/riding. You would have had to slide over exposed rock (not a steep enough ledge to jump and clear even if there is landing snow) but you cannot see that from the top. My guess anyway.

JDMRoma

I was there yesterday too, parked at whitecap pretty early. First time to SR for me, enjoyed the day for sure. trails were all good, coulda used
some sun tho but no complaints. Going to get back up there this week for a few days.

Newpylong

They end up making snow on Top Gun this year? I see it was skied on the GPS. It was bare the only time I got there this year along with Upper DD. That one was a headscratcher too.

Andrew B.

They end up making snow on Top Gun this year? I see it was skied on the GPS. It was bare the only time I got there this year along with Upper DD. That one was a headscratcher too.
Pretty sure I remember them making on TG only once this year. There was no snowmaking on DD this year and it was the head scratcher. Wonder if something feeding that trail was broken?

No complaints from me on no SM in Agony this year. Hopefully the new lift can handle the icing better and they can go back to making snow. It’s burned out now and usually this is the time of year it skis best.

machski

Pretty sure I remember them making on TG only once this year. There was no snowmaking on DD this year and it was the head scratcher. Wonder if something feeding that trail was broken?

No complaints from me on no SM in Agony this year. Hopefully the new lift can handle the icing better and they can go back to making snow. It’s burned out now and usually this is the time of year it skis best.
Yup, they hit TG hard once. DD was natural all season (as was BlackHole surprising and Quantum Leap not as surprising) and amazing it held up all weekend, the exit chute/sliver/slot was kind of fun.

Newpylong

Thanks for the info.

Not that it's a big deal but the new booster station plans for top of Chondola has a feed for Polaris/Backside so I believe that will get repaired.

KustyTheKlown

oh man i forgot to mention that a giant bull moose sprinted across the trail in front of me and then into the blind ambition woods. some people may have saw him when he emerged on the other side, but i was the only person who saw him cross excalibur. i fumbled with my phone but couldn't get it to camera mode on time. first time I've ever seen that on the slopes. seen many moose in many states around and about, but never on the mountain. flipped my car on one once.

in 2nd grade we were learning to pluralize, and the teacher gave everyone softballs - 'cat' 'dog' boy' - then she gets to me and gives me 'moose'. that bitch. I'm still traumatized about it. i guess she thought of me as smart enough to figure it out, but i couldn't figure it out and it was really embarrassing.

2Planker

oh man i forgot to mention that a giant bull moose sprinted across the trail in front of me and then into the blind ambition woods. some people may have saw him when he emerged on the other side, but i was the only person who saw him cross excalibur. i fumbled with my phone but couldn't get it to camera mode on time. first time I've ever seen that on the slopes. seen many moose in many states around and about, but never on the mountain. flipped my car on one once.

in 2nd grade we were learning to pluralize, and the teacher gave everyone softballs - 'cat' 'dog' boy' - then she gets to me and gives me 'moose'. that bitch. I'm still traumatized about it. i guess she thought of me as smart enough to figure it out, but i couldn't figure it out and it was really embarrassing.
We had a patroller who hit 2 Mooses in one day on the way to The Forks.
Totaled his truck in the morning, borrowed a buddies car and totaled that one too

bigbob

There is a reason NH has "Brake of Moose" signs on the side of the roads! You hit one and survive whatever you are driving usually ends up in the scrap yard.

Andrew B.

The bears out there start coming out their dens about now

Newpylong

Work starts tomorrow cutting out sections of pipe on Kansas that they need moved to blast. They are building a work road to help build the new lift and for future access for an eventual restaurant etc. The pipe wil be reinstalled this year as is but next year will see a 20" frost free feed to the top of Jordanin it's place. For this year the existing feed down Quantum will still be used but fed from the booster.

They started today stringing the 20" feed that will be installed up to the booster.

ThatGuy

There is a reason NH has "Brake of Moose" signs on the side of the roads! You hit one and survive whatever you are driving usually ends up in the scrap yard.
Driving back from Mt. Washington a few years ago I nailed a moose with my car but somehow he only took a little chunk out of my bumper in front of the wheel well. Time went in slow motion before the impact and was sure I was going to die. Also almost hit a buffalo in North Dakota, they are basically invisible at night besides their eyes.