• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

Newpylong

The other unmentioned aspect of the Kansas trail work is like a massive reduction in the amount of snow needed to cover it. If seen without snow in its previous state, you would question how it's skiable in winter with the double fall line. They just made massive amounts of snow on skier's left so that it would be level.

I am sure they will do a video on the North Peak booster station as that takes shape.

machski

The other unmentioned aspect of the Kansas trail work is like a massive reduction in the amount of snow needed to cover it. If seen without snow in its previous state, you would question how it's skiable in winter with the double fall line. They just made massive amounts of snow on skier's left so that it would be level.

I am sure they will do a video on the North Peak booster station as that takes shape.
Although, they need to pack/grade the lower junctions off Kansas at Eureka and LP now. The video showed a massive drop off and huge rock debris on both trails. So they either need to earth grade that or now they will HAVE to make snow and a lot at the junction for Eureka and LP to be skiable. Could see what Ruby's entrance looks like now, hopefully they didn't make that any worse than it already was to hold snow.

Newpylong

Even if left alone, monumentally less snow required at those entrances vs building enough to negate the dramatic double fall on the entirety of Kansas.

machski

Even if left alone, monumentally less snow required at those entrances vs building enough to negate the dramatic double fall on the entirety of Kansas.
Probably, but Kansas usually got blown in early season, long before they even open Jordan (as it is high, they have made snow on that often when too warm to make lower in the expansion push). And it was a once and done normally (outside of monsoon rains or blowtorch weather). Those intersections in Oz if left as is right now will need multiple recovers or will look like the rock garden section of ShockWave from this past season.

Newpylong

The guy pushing the snowmaking upgrades is no dummy and doesn't really shoot from the hip. I am fairly confident there is a plan and it's going to be a net gain in efficiency. I'll ask my buddy when I see him next he's been there working on Spruce all week.

Last edited:

machski

Well, I see Peter of LiftBlog has officially listed the Jordan HSQ being restrung at Shawnee next summer now on the '23 install list he tracks. Still no confirmation on the chair type for Barker other than a new Dopp Detach lift.

2Planker

Well, I see Peter of LiftBlog has officially listed the Jordan HSQ being restrung at Shawnee next summer now on the '23 install list he tracks. Still no confirmation on the chair type for Barker other than a new Dopp Detach lift.
Shawnee's been saying exactly that for the last 6 weeks.
Summit Triple to be restrung to end at MidStation is the other part of the plan

deadheadskier

Staff member

Why bother keeping the triple? Use it for the race teams on The Horn?

I suppose it offers some wind hold security too. If the quad goes on a hold, could take the triple and ski down to Sunnyside and still have access to the summit.

Newpylong

Sounds like an operational and maintenance expense that's unnecessary. That HSQ is going to soak up any lines they have pronto. Butt, they know their hill better than me!

BodeMiller1

Good point, most skiers don't realize how much snow is required to open the steep trails. With energy prices trending up...

machski

Apparently Kansas and the top of Jordan are not the only regrading projects this summer. Looks like lower AmEx is getting it's rock ledge blasted and the run regraded in addition to the switch to fan gun coverage.
PXL_20220727_224250554.jpg
PXL_20220727_224112797.jpg

bigbob

Hopefully CMP has enough power to run this beast at Jordon, Loon had issues. Emergency evacuation requires someone to slide down the cable to each chair to release the bar which locks down once it is pulled down.

machski

I think it has back up to the backup at Loon for Diesel power. Power issues where causing alot of stops and starts.
I heard that but I also heard it wasn't an issue from the Power Company, it was some electrical component they installed was too small/narrow. I would think Boyne learned any lessons needed from the Kanc8.

bigbob

I heard that but I also heard it wasn't an issue from the Power Company, it was some electrical component they installed was too small/narrow. I would think Boyne learned any lessons needed from the Kanc8.
You would think they would have learned from the Big Sky install 2 years prior. There was also a computer software glitch that if they tried to restart the lift to soon after a start that it would shut down again.

machski

You would think they would have learned from the Big Sky install 2 years prior. There was also a computer software glitch that if they tried to restart the lift to soon after a start that it would shut down again.
Yeah, it was kind of odd. I don't recall hearing Ramcharger having the same issues as Kanc (or the new Swift Current which is basically the same just as a 6 vs 8 chair). Be interesting to see how Jordan and Disciple's work this coming year (and the new 6 at Grand Targee, also a D-Line 6).