• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A Chill in the Air

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
There is zero science in this post, but it sure seems like it's winding up for a cold, snowy winter of epic proportions. The snow on the top of Sugarbush hasn't melted yet, like you'd expect this time of year, there has been a late-November-like chill in the air with a few flurries this afternoon, and the weather for the next week looks like more of the same.

The next week looks like more of the same. We've had early snows before, but nothing like the sustained cold we're facing now, at least not in the years I've been here. There have been years when I would have taken this two week stretch of weather in January over what we ended up getting in rain/warmth.

The weather in New England can break your heart, so I know we shouldn't count our chickens and that, but still...

Greg

Staff member
I've got about an inch and half of snow on my grass right now. that's relatively unheard of on October 15th down here. I concur with your prognostication.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Hate to be the nay sayer, but we have all seen epic early seasons go down the drain by December. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves and just enjoy what is currently happening for what it is.

Greg

Staff member
Hate to be the nay sayer, but we have all seen epic early seasons go down the drain by December. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves and just enjoy what is currently happening for what it is.

Perhaps. All I know is last season, our frost was 2 weeks early and we had a really solid start and consistent winter until March. This year is starting out similar with our first snow 3-4+ weeks ahead of schedule.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
That is not saying much for me as I definitely do NOT want a repeat of last year snow wise. At least not mid-season. Super early cold and snow is really fun and I enjoy the heck out of it. But mother nature loves her averages and I would trade all the early cold, snow, and snow making for no thaw and more snow in January.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'm just hoping what I read yesterday about a weak el Nino this winter=cold, cold temps in New England and a lot of snow comes true. :snow: Hate paying for the heat but it's worth it if it equals a great skiing season.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
I'm just hoping what I read yesterday about a weak el Nino this winter=cold, cold temps in New England and a lot of snow comes true. :snow: Hate paying for the heat but it's worth it if it equals a great skiing season.

There's also a very low sunspot cycle which has often led to stretches of 10+ years of cold and snow. There were times when the Hudson River froze over it was so cold. We haven't had anything like that in any of our lifetimes, but as someone said, nature does love her averages.