• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Airline lost my brand new skis

BenedictGomez

Well...this is awfully suspicious

http://denver.craigslist.org/spo/4307397077.html

That's gotta be them - I bought them as leftovers at REI back in October. Doesn't the description read weird?

Nobody who is particular enough about skiing that they have this setup would list them as "men's skis" first and foremost. I am extremely suspicious but feel totally powerless!

I doubt it's them because how/why would he know the boot size to list?

But just to be sure you could scam him and say you're looking for a complete ski rig to buy from soup to nuts, so would he perhaps have some poles he could throw in that you'd pay a bit extra for............ because probably only 1 in 80 skiers have Leki poles.

If he comes back at you and says he could sell you some Leki poles? That's them.

EDIT: Also, that's a FANTASTIC price for that setup. Those will go QUICK at that price, so you may want to act fast.

The Sneak

Awesome thx.
There would def be a few long scratches on the bases. I mean, I would hate to be bothering a completely innocent person who just happened to list an identical pair of skis in the same length with the same bindings 1 week after mine vanished...but this seems too much to be a coincidence.

If he mentions poles - The leki poles have black shafts with some red, and white and black grips. They have no straps on them - they have the quick release setup.

Could all just be a coincidence I guess though

MadMadWorld

Awesome thx.
There would def be a few long scratches on the bases. I mean, I would hate to be bothering a completely innocent person who just happened to list an identical pair of skis in the same length with the same bindings 1 week after mine vanished...but this seems too much to be a coincidence.

If he mentions poles - The leki poles have black shafts with some red, and white and black grips. They have no straps on them - they have the quick release setup.

Could all just be a coincidence I guess though

Why not ask him to take a pic of the bases of the skis? I think it's a reasonable question from a prospective "buyer". I think you might get your answer that way.

BenedictGomez

Not the greatest pics, but perhaps they give you a bit to look at.

GetInline.aspx

GetInline.aspx

The Sneak

damn
hard to tell. poor guy if this is just a coincidence. Will call REI in the AM and try to get my serial numbers. filed a report with Denver police.

bigbog

My condolences man.....best of luck in locating. Fwiw...a search in TGR's Gear_Swap always turns up good stuff...and lots of CO sellers in ski country.

Last edited:

fbrissette

Wow. The last airline I would have guessed. They are normally on top of things.

The silver lining: their customer service is usually good and you will (hopefully) get new skis.

Airlines have absolutely nothing to do with luggage handling at airports. Just the luck of the draw. The stranger the connecting flights (switching terminals/companies, short layover) the more likely you'll run into problems. Some airlines may differentiate themselves from the pack at how they handle your claim and follow up on it.

I've has stuff stolen from my bag a couple of time and several delayed luggage, but never something disappearing all together. I think it would not be that easy for an employee to walk out of a luggage terminal with a huge ski bag.

pcampbell

Sounds like we should all write down our ski serial #s... Has anyone ever put identifying marks on their skis otherwise? Like burned something into the base or something with a soldering iron? (haha..... yeah I have cheap skis... with nice boots and bindings).

The Sneak

I obtained the serial #s from REI and updated my Denver police report with them. Not optimistic anything will ever come of it.

gmcunni

I have a feeling that would spook him if he weren't legit

if someone asked me that, even for something i knew to be 100% legit, i would not respond.

btw, i wrote him back last night saying i was not interested (made up a story). he was fine with it, didn't hard sell me or offer to lower price, etc. "felt" legit to me.

gmcunni

also, google searching his phone number does NOT show anything else for sale on CL (the skis do show up). doubt he's using a different burner phone for every item he steals.

doublediamond

Airlines have absolutely nothing to do with luggage handling at airports. Just the luck of the draw. The stranger the connecting flights (switching terminals/companies, short layover) the more likely you'll run into problems. Some airlines may differentiate themselves from the pack at how they handle your claim and follow up on it.

I've has stuff stolen from my bag a couple of time and several delayed luggage, but never something disappearing all together. I think it would not be that easy for an employee to walk out of a luggage terminal with a huge ski bag.

Incorrect.

Yes, at smaller "outstations", airlines contract out the work, but at bigger cities, focus cities, or hubs, they are almost always internal. On top of that, Southwest is run entirely in-house. They don't contract out because when they set up a new city, they only go to cities that they can operate at least 7 or so flights from to their various focus cities.

fbrissette

Incorrect.

Yes, at smaller "outstations", airlines contract out the work, but at bigger cities, focus cities, or hubs, they are almost always internal. On top of that, Southwest is run entirely in-house. They don't contract out because when they set up a new city, they only go to cities that they can operate at least 7 or so flights from to their various focus cities.

Upon verification I stand corrected. Seems like a very strange inefficient setup.

The Sneak

Southwest just called me.
They have my skis and will be delivering them.

Poor bastard on CL. Totally innocent.

Thank you all for support and commentary
I look forward to getting my sh!t back