• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alterra and DV Presidents Speak at Virtual Town Hall Event in Park City

xlr8r

The only real difference from now is the poma and t-bar are gone (and lift A)
Yeah the big change is that the Birches double chair is gone. It would be nice if that was still around. I get that today the Summit Poma and the T Bar on little Pico would get little use, but I think the Birches chair would still be useful today. Does anyone know why it was removed?

Smellytele

Yeah the big change is that the Birches double chair is gone. It would be nice if that was still around. I get that today the Summit Poma and the T Bar on little Pico would get little use, but I think the Birches chair would still be useful today. Does anyone know why it was removed?
looking at it not sure it would get that much use unless there was bad weather and you couldn't run the quad.
I had skied there when it was there and not sure I ever rode it.

cdskier

That seemed to serve very little terrain. Not really sure I see it being that useful...

dblskifanatic

If you have a minute, take a look at some of the old Pico maps on SkiMaps.org. You will see how back in the day the mountain was set up REALLY well with those little areas and different lifts to spread folks out. Here is one from right before SKI/ASC took it over:

1284398199.jpg

My guess those were removed to shed some lift staff costs and the maintenance of those lifts that seemed redundant. When ever I skied there we never had any issues with lift lines under todays configuration.

dblskifanatic

looking at it not sure it would get that much use unless there was bad weather and you couldn't run the quad.
I had skied there when it was there and not sure I ever rode it.

what was the vertical on that lift - does not look that long! I probably would have used it either since the Quad allows you to link up other trails and still do Birches.

xlr8r

I think the Birches chair would be useful for intermediates to access the mid mountain without having to go down 49er. It is difficult for intermediates to find Birch Glade, Lower Giant Killer, Mid Pike, Poma Loop etc. Also would help accessing mid mountain when Summit Express goes on wind hold.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Come to Pico when conditions are epic and the parking lot is full...you will still not wait more than 10 minutes for a lift ride, and that'd only be on the hsq's. The mountain has plenty of uphill capacity. Honestly I've always felt they're limited in their downhill capacity. Outpost could be a triple or a quad but other than that all the lifts have just a handful of ways down. The summit nor the Golden should be six packs...not enough terrain to go down.

I bet the Outpost replacement will be a used lift. Not enough ROI to invest $3 million in a new fixed grip in that pod that is open Christmas-mid-March. Doubt it'd be a new surface lift as they'd have to add snowmaking on the trail under the lift and it has a wicked double fall line at the top and is pretty steep.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Today's news:

I don't think that Alterra is going to be happy about this. It certainly shows that Boyne is concerned about traffic. On my visit to Big Sky the Tram was about a 45-60 minute wait.

machski

Today's news:

I don't think that Alterra is going to be happy about this. It certainly shows that Boyne is concerned about traffic. On my visit to Big Sky the Tram was about a 45-60 minute wait.
Maybe not, but BS isn't just limiting Ikon passholders. Most of their own season passes, all tickets (even Boyne crossover benefit tickets are affected) and MC passes are impacted equally. Alterra says they respect the local mountain decisions, this will be one. But they are only a partner resort. Would be interesting to see if an Alterra owned area wanted to do something similar (Say Steamboat with the Gondola until Big Blue goes in?)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Maybe not, but BS isn't just limiting Ikon passholders. Most of their own season passes, all tickets (even Boyne crossover benefit tickets are affected) and MC passes are impacted equally. Alterra says they respect the local mountain decisions, this will be one. But they are only a partner resort. Would be interesting to see if an Alterra owned area wanted to do something similar (Say Steamboat with the Gondola until Big Blue goes in?)
An "Alterra" resort has done "something": the Aspen Resorts left Ikon Base. Crystal has also changed access.

FBGM

Today's news:

Ive never skied off that team due to how long the line always is. And those boxes are damn small. I’d rather skin up there...which would be long, and a very out of the way method.

Big Sky also has one of the worst lift set ups I’ve seen. Makes no sense

machski

Ive never skied off that team due to how long the line always is. And those boxes are damn small. I’d rather skin up there...which would be long, and a very out of the way method.

Big Sky also has one of the worst lift set ups I’ve seen. Makes no sense
I would agree on some level for now. When the new Gondi goes in that will terminate at the base of Powder Chaser, it will make a bit more sense. For now, seems weird to have to ride Swifty to Powder Chaser to Tram to access the top. Regardless, seems to always be a 3 lift ride to the very top.

FBGM

How so? They brag about their lift system.
They have great lifts. New, big, heated seats, all that jazz. But layout is weird. I think part in due to when Moonlight combined.

Foe instance. That new 8 person lift. Comes out of base, to the top of that lookers left “peak”. Shove 8 a time up there and they dump down the back to a quad or back to base. The other base lift is a high speed quad that is overwhelmed and probably the busiest at mountain. Instead of they dumb 8 person marketing lift, would have rather seen that money go to 2 6 packs or just keep a quad up where the new 8 is and 6 pack to replace that busy base quad.

Also that orange 6 pack up below the peak/tram. Useless. Small area, huge lift, quad would have been more then fine.
The moonlight side has that huge high speed quad that services like that entire side. Like 1,500 acres. 1 lift. And that is busy as shit. Should have dumped a 6 there.

Spark Notes - that 8 person chair is dumb and the money could have went to other lift upgrades.

thetrailboss

Staff member
They have great lifts. New, big, heated seats, all that jazz. But layout is weird. I think part in due to when Moonlight combined.

Foe instance. That new 8 person lift. Comes out of base, to the top of that lookers left “peak”. Shove 8 a time up there and they dump down the back to a quad or back to base. The other base lift is a high speed quad that is overwhelmed and probably the busiest at mountain. Instead of they dumb 8 person marketing lift, would have rather seen that money go to 2 6 packs or just keep a quad up where the new 8 is and 6 pack to replace that busy base quad.

Also that orange 6 pack up below the peak/tram. Useless. Small area, huge lift, quad would have been more then fine.
The moonlight side has that huge high speed quad that services like that entire side. Like 1,500 acres. 1 lift. And that is busy as shit. Should have dumped a 6 there.

Spark Notes - that 8 person chair is dumb and the money could have went to other lift upgrades.
I see what you are saying and agree. Ramcharger seems odd. But consider that Swifty is getting replaced this year.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Six Shooter on Moonlight Basin is a six-pack.

NYDB

that Powderseeker lift struck me as the strangest lift there. A heated bubble lift on a 3 minute ride? Useless. I don't care how cold it is.

(unless they eventually just plan to have bubble 6's everywhere)