• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alterra and DV Presidents Speak at Virtual Town Hall Event in Park City

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ohh yeah it is. Crazy how busy it still is. Guess that’s the only lift for a huge area so makes sense.
It is busy. And breaks down a lot. It’s on the “list” for replacement. I liked Moonlight Basin more than I though I would.

machski

Ohh yeah it is. Crazy how busy it still is. Guess that’s the only lift for a huge area so makes sense.
Six shooter does not have a full compliment of chairs, Boyne put out feelers for more of the same series chairs to fill it out (older L-P model).

Ramcharger is used all year, serves their MTB park and Everett's. You have two HSQ's off the back of Andersite plus the Lone Moose Triple area. Swift Current Express HSQ is being replaced this summer with a Six of the same vintage as the Ramcharger 8 and a few years later a new Gondi will run in a new alignment up the beginner terrain and turn to top out at the base of Powder Seeker 6.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Six shooter does not have a full compliment of chairs, Boyne put out feelers for more of the same series chairs to fill it out (older L-P model).

Ramcharger is used all year, serves their MTB park and Everett's. You have two HSQ's off the back of Andersite plus the Lone Moose Triple area. Swift Current Express HSQ is being replaced this summer with a Six of the same vintage as the Ramcharger 8 and a few years later a new Gondi will run in a new alignment up the beginner terrain and turn to top out at the base of Powder Seeker 6.
I'm pretty sure that Six Shooter was a CTEC-Garaventa Model.

FBGM

It is busy. And breaks down a lot. It’s on the “list” for replacement. I liked Moonlight Basin more than I though I would.
One of the best parts of the mountain IMO. Minus that lift and nowhere else to go at bottom. Good, long, cruisers. Good snow. No wind.

thetrailboss

Staff member
One of the best parts of the mountain IMO. Minus that lift and nowhere else to go at bottom. Good, long, cruisers. Good snow. No wind.
Bingo. If one starts on that side and it breaks down, as it did on my visit, you are SOL. The free shuttle goes out there "every once in a while".

thetrailboss

Staff member

tumbler

I would imagine that they are in the $65 million "maintenance" budget. I don't consider maintenance to be improvements.
I hope so or we are back to the ASC neglect days when they focused on their big shiny toys.

machski

And $0.00 for Sugarbush.
They just fully took over last year, what exactly did you expect them to do at SB. Especially coming out of a year that they postponed major CapEx projects due to Covid? SB has decent infrastructure currently (and nothing ready to fall down or crap out), I would think Alterra is still mapping plans for CapEx there.

cdskier

They just fully took over last year, what exactly did you expect them to do at SB. Especially coming out of a year that they postponed major CapEx projects due to Covid? SB has decent infrastructure currently (and nothing ready to fall down or crap out), I would think Alterra is still mapping plans for CapEx there.

I agree. What they're doing this year is pretty much what they had planned to do last year. One major thing I know that was talked about for SB was adding a new snow-making pond closer to the mountain so they can ultimately increase snowmaking capacity at Lincoln Peak. But this was a multi-year project anyway if I recall correctly and was only in early planning stages last year. Essentially everything is pushed back a year due to minimal things being done last year with COVID putting everything on hold. Now if next year we don't hear anything further about plans for SB CapEx spending, then there's a reason to be concerned. This year I expected pretty much nothing other than required maintenance items.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I hope so or we are back to the ASC neglect days when they focused on their big shiny toys.
Absolutely. My only comment was that maintenance is a necessary thing that I don't think needs to be in a press release. But it is good.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
There is nothing so dire at SB that it's needed the year after a global pandemic which decimated business financials and made an uncertain industry 100x more uncertain. Didn't they upgrade their beginner lifts to brand new quads? There isn't a lift on that hill more than 35 years old, correct? That' sincredibly impressive.

At Killington they pushed off the new base lodge another year due to funding issues. So it broke ground in summer 2019 and has been paused since March 2020...and will not be completed til at least Fall 2022 now.

thetrailboss

Staff member
There is nothing so dire at SB that it's needed the year after a global pandemic which decimated business financials and made an uncertain industry 100x more uncertain. Didn't they upgrade their beginner lifts to brand new quads? There isn't a lift on that hill more than 35 years old, correct? That' sincredibly impressive.
Heaven's Gate is getting up there......

At Killington they pushed off the new base lodge another year due to funding issues. So it broke ground in summer 2019 and has been paused since March 2020...and will not be completed til at least Fall 2022 now.
Wow, seriously? So they have a half-built building at Killington Base? That is really weird.

KustyTheKlown

Heaven's Gate is getting up there......

Wow, seriously? So they have a half-built building at Killington Base? That is really weird.
lol they sure do. old killington base lodge is there but butts up against a giant half structure that eats some of the parking area. really the area that used to be the skier drop off loop. the ticketing at killington peak is in a trailer in the parking lot. the old k-1 lodge is only really open for bathrooms and quick food service. guest services no longer in there. they scan you for contact tracing on the way in. that may be everywhere tho, last weekend at killington was the first time i went in a base lodge all season. my pass had stopped scanning so i went to deal with it at guest services, and was directed to the damn parking lot trailer.

one good end result of this is that the lodge will be downhill of the gondola base

this is taken from the side. you see the k-1 gondola cable coming across the top of the frame. so thats the old side door of the lodge. the front door where outdoor ticketing used to be almost touches the new lodge:
1618272935418.png

the future:
1618272979229.png

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
lol they sure do. old killington base lodge is there but butts up against a giant half structure that eats some of the parking area. really the area that used to be the skier drop off loop. the ticketing at killington peak is in a trailer in the parking lot. the old k-1 lodge is only really open for bathrooms and quick food service. guest services no longer in there. they scan you for contact tracing on the way in. that may be everywhere tho, last weekend at killington was the first time i went in a base lodge all season. my pass had stopped scanning so i went to deal with it at guest services, and was directed to the damn parking lot trailer.

Yep...should start calling that one the Reynolds Wrap lodge lol.