• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

An experience at Windham Mountain

Cornhead

I'm grateful for all the Catskill resorts. They are a nice day-trip option to my local molehill, approx 100 miles one way. I kick myself for waiting so long to ski Platty, by far my fav. Oh yeah, Brook's BBQ is on the way home too! As far as a patroller at Windham dissing Hunter, consider the source, he's obviously biased. I didn't care much for Hunter the first time I skied there, but it's kinda grown on me. I think moving the old main high-speed quad to the East pod was a brilliant Idea. Now if would only snow enough to use it.

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
I think moving the old main high-speed quad to the East pod was a brilliant Idea. Now if would only snow enough to use it.

I thought it was moved to the west? Anyway, totally right, I love that side of the mountain, it skis like a big new England mountain. You can't beat the steep vertical you get there.

Sent from my XT907 using AlpineZone mobile app

dmc

West side terrain is what keeps me buying a pass...
To me Hunter isn't really open until Claires opens...

ScottySkis

I'm grateful for all the Catskill resorts. They are a nice day-trip option to my local molehill, approx 100 miles one way. I kick myself for waiting so long to ski Platty, by far my fav. Oh yeah, Brook's BBQ is on the way home too! As far as a patroller at Windham dissing Hunter, consider the source, he's obviously biased. I didn't care much for Hunter the first time I skied there, but it's kinda grown on me. I think moving the old main high-speed quad to the East pod was a brilliant Idea. Now if would only snow enough to use it.

Well if doesn't snow, Hunter is the king of snowmaking, thanksgiving hopefully I be skiing their.

Hawkshot99

Well if doesn't snow, Hunter is the king of snowmaking, thanksgiving hopefully I be skiing their.

Hunter does have one heck of a snow making system, and they can really pump it out. The problem is they keep getting more and more shy of using that system. Not that long ago, I was assured of early season turns there first. The past several years I have been skiing sooner at other .that have "inferior" systems. Some years by over a month.

Being the "King of Snowmaking" is useless if you dont use it.

As for the Windham patroler not liking or skiing Hunter? One place gives him skiing for free, or paid to ski depending on level of patrol, while the other will charge him for a ticket. If I ski free at one and pay at the other, makes it hard to go ski the other. Plus I find the people who like Hunter, and Windham to be totally different types. I enjoy Hunter a few days a year. I only ski Windham when I need to(demo days and group outings). By lunch I am ready to go home from Windham.

ScottySkis

Hunter does have one heck of a snow making system, and they can really pump it out. The problem is they keep getting more and more shy of using that system. Not that long ago, I was assured of early season turns there first. The past several years I have been skiing sooner at other .that have "inferior" systems. Some years by over a month.

As for the Windham patroler not liking or skiing Hunter? One place gives him skiing for free, or paid to ski depending on level of patrol, while the other will charge him for a ticket. If I ski free at one and pay at the other, makes it hard to go ski the other. Plus I find the people who like Hunter, and Windham to be totally different types. I enjoy Hunter a few days a year. I only ski Windham when I need to(demo days and group outings). By lunch I am ready to go home from Windham.

Remember the 1990 s when it was all about blowing crazy feet of snow that was very close to Utah standards.

Hawkshot99

Remember the 1990 s when it was all about blowing crazy feet of snow that was very close to Utah standards.

Unfortunetly no. That was elementary/middle school time, before I could drive. My family never really went to Hunter, mostly Bell and Windam a bit.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

ScottySkis

Unfortunetly no. That was elementary/middle school time, before I could drive. My family never really went to Hunter, mostly Bell and Windam a bit.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE

I was a teenager then and Hunter made lots of powdery snow back then. I am sorry you missed it.

Rambo

I seem to have brain fade... But it seems to me, someone mentioned once that when Hunters massive snowmaking system is running to full capacity... it costs like $3,000. per hour??

Last edited:

steamboat1

I will find out this year, Hunter discount card now comes with 3 lift tickets. I have to put this in the cheap skiing thread. That is so so cheap like me.:)

Scotty not all Big Lift cards are created equal. You have to pay for those additional days. The card with 1 free day loaded is $49, 2 free days $89 & 3 free days $119. I used to get the card but haven't in a few years. I think they were only $29 when I first started getting it.

ScottySkis

Scotty not all Big Lift cards are created equal. You have to pay for those additional days. The card with 1 free day loaded is $49, 2 free days $89 & 3 free days $119. I used to get the card but haven't in a few years. I think they were only $29 when I first started getting it.

I just got email from Hunter saying they include 3 lift tickets is $119 and 25% off weekends, 50% off mid week. Is it a great deal no but it beats full price for sure.

legalskier

I was talking to this ski patrol guy who said he had been working there 20 years. We get to the top of the lift and we see Hunter and I said I loved Hunter. The patroller then goes to tell me how much he hates it and I ask him why and he lists a bunch of stuff then says he has never skied there and never will. I find that weird...LOL he has worked down the road for 20 years and can see it from his mountain, why not check it out just ONCE

If you see him again you should ask, but I think it's clear from your post that he's basing it on what he's heard elsewhere- i.e. hearsay.
There's good reason why hearsay is suspect.

for0505l.jpg

As someone already pointed out, it's his loss.

Last edited:

dmc

He would love Plattekill because nobody told him it sucks...

baaaaah