• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any body know anything about Hunter???

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Scheduled to open Nov 19. Glad to see they have started preparing their WROD. At least it covers more than twice as much vertical as what Killington opens with and doesn't involve stairs.

KustyTheKlown

i expect K to be open t2b on snowdon and possibly east fall to the runout by nov 20 weekend.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Yeah I'm sure Killington will be as open as Hunter is by the time I make it to Hunter, likely on 11/21. Not denigrating what K is doing.

But 11 hr r/t drive for 550' vertical with stairs isn't worth it for me from central NJ.
5.5 hr r/t drive for 1450' vertical with high speed lift will be.

slatham

Hunter is now Epic, which given their marketing prowess it’s strange that they don’t seem to be very proactive with cams and news updates early season.

FBGM

The way the forecast looks (take 15 days out with a grain of salt) - Hunter will be lucky to be open on 19th. Possible cold returns on 15 ish - maybe?

drjeff

The way the forecast looks (take 15 days out with a grain of salt) - Hunter will be lucky to be open on 19th. Possible cold returns on 15 ish - maybe?
Mother nature looks to make it challenging right now for anyone who isn't open yet, or won't get open this weekend possibly, to get open before Thanksgiving Week if the 10 day is remotely accurate and/or shift to the cold side after that...

My 50th b-day is Black Friday (the symbolism isn't lost on me 😉 ) and I sure am hoping that mother nature will have cooperated enough by then to let me get some birthday turns!

catskillman

They are drastically understaffed - heard that are going to have a very hard time opening. They also expect large crowds like last season

food trucks coming in, reservations required to eat indoors, no barstools, credit only,

sorry no good news to report.

Oh - the changed the doors so they do not need to chain them shut at night any longer........

Funky_Catskills

Good thing I avoid the lodge and bar these days.
I'll continue to be a roll up to the northface and ride for a couple hours person(weekday pow rules in effect though).
My work team is ok with me adjusting my time to ride at lunch for a couple of hours.

Reactions: zyk

FBGM

They are drastically understaffed - heard that are going to have a very hard time opening. They also expect large crowds like last season

food trucks coming in, reservations required to eat indoors, no barstools, credit only,

sorry no good news to report.

Oh - the changed the doors so they do not need to chain them shut at night any longer........
Looked at Vails jobs page. Yikes. Something like 2,400 open positions, and that’s not counting for adds posted that need multiple people.

IceEidolon

For snowmaking, a staffing shortage can be mitigated on their day 1 terrain. A decent proportion of their opening day terrain is covered by automated or line flood guns. Once you get away from that, though, not having a full crew will hurt, and that doesn't count the impact on grooming, lifts, and guest facing services.

da-bum

Any word on whether we can use the downstairs or main area of the main lodge to put on our boots and/or stash our bags? Even though the main lodge was open for dining last season. It was not open to change or store our gear bags, so I decided to park near an entrance to the trails and avoided the lodge almost completely, sitting in the cold car eating cold sandwiches, drinking hot coffee/soup from thermos and going into the woods to relive myself. I could do that again this year, but it is not preferred.