• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any body know anything about Hunter???

abc

Yep. Not a lawyer here, but as far as I understand it, trademark owners are legally compelled to fight these things even if it makes them look super shitty (which it sometimes does, but I'm not sure that's really the case here.)
I guess the previous owner of Hunter didn't have a good lawyer?

chuckstah

millerm277

Not a Vail fan in the least, but IMO they're not exactly in the wrong here. Naming your hotel the exact same thing as the ski area's full name is a bit much. It is the 2nd result on Google Maps and I wouldn't be surprised if it occasionally leads to confused tourists for those coming in from the West.

I don't see them suing the "Hunter Inn" or any other "Hunter" named businesses in town. That would seem unreasonable.

cdskier

So this is interesting...it seems "Hunter Mountain" (and the logo) was only officially trademarked in 2020 (aka by Vail after they bought it).

PAabe

The logo is nothing special and I can't believe our bonehead trademark system actually granted a trademark for "Hunter Mountain"...
Interesting but I can see why it wouldn't have been done earlier

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Any time anyone files an application to register a mark other interested parties are given an opportunity to contest it before the registration is granted.

cdskier

Would have been funny if the Lodge had trade marked it…
They actually did submit an application for "Hunter Mountain Resort" several months before Vail submitted the "Hunter Mountain" trademark requests. However it shows they then abandoned the request later that same year. Not sure if they just didn't follow through with paperwork or if something was contested and they had no response, etc.

catskillman

One other thing =
for as long as anyone remembers the Hunter/Tannersville school kids PE class, if they chose, was to ski for 10 weeks. The school district bused the kids there 2 days a week. The mountain provided lessons, lift ticket and rentals if needed.

Vail discontinued this !!! There is not a lot of money in town so most of these kids won't get to ski.

Windham mountain gives every kid in the school district a FREE Season Pass.

Vail Fail.....

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Today was a surprise!!!! Cold but they had many guns on, conditions were awesome!!!!!!! I stopped to thank a snowmaker on the great job their doing and he said there were three YES three of them working that's all. I have to commend them, they got Ike open in three days, Jimmy is open as is Cliff. GREAT JOB GUYS! BTW no snowmaking on North and West will not be opened this year, I was told.
VAIL still SUCKS!

So Inclined

I have to commend them, they got Ike open in three days, Jimmy is open as is Cliff. GREAT JOB GUYS! BTW no snowmaking on North and West will not be opened this year, I was told.
VAIL still SUCKS!

Cliff was outstanding on Sunday, but then everything was if you were willing to brave the freezing rain. Such a bummer to hear that about the West side but it's not surprising. And if they're not blowing snow on Twilight now, when will they?
I'll bet a dollar the E Lift doesn't spin this year either.

cdskier

Today was a surprise!!!! Cold but they had many guns on, conditions were awesome!!!!!!! I stopped to thank a snowmaker on the great job their doing and he said there were three YES three of them working that's all. I have to commend them, they got Ike open in three days, Jimmy is open as is Cliff. GREAT JOB GUYS! BTW no snowmaking on North and West will not be opened this year, I was told.
VAIL still SUCKS!

Did they give a reason for not planning to open West this year? Just lack of staff?

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Bites if they will not open West which has the most legit terrain on Mt and is a reliable refuge from crowds.

Expect they will if they get enough of a natural dump to do so, as it would then take minimal effort to open some of it ungroomed.

PAabe

Vail just casually planning on not opening half of the most popular ski destination of the biggest city in the country

On the positive side maybe this will benefit operations such as Plattekill which will have more expert terrain open than Hunter

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Vail just casually planning on not opening half of the most popular ski destination of the biggest city in the country

On the positive side maybe this will benefit Laszlo's operation down the road
It's no more than 25% of the terrain, but it is the most legit terrain along with (also not open) Lower K27, Racer's Edge and the Milky Way and North side Glades.