• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any body know anything about Hunter???

catskillman

another debacle.... this morning at 8:30. The fences for the que at the 6 pack had not been put up yet. 6 pack opened without them, free for all. The comments in line were entertaining. Suprisingly none were good...Hmmmmmmmm

Not sure what happened, all kinds of rumers I can't confirm, yet...

So Inclined

Late morning status: Lines for B and the Flyer are predictably nuts, but if you know what you're doing and where to go (eg bumped-up Milky Way) it's actually not half bad.

nycskier

Today at Hunter was a disgrace. I've skied Hunter since I was a kid & have NEVER seen it as crowded as it was today (& I've been there over holiday weekends). Vail just keeps selling tickets WAY beyond the capacity of the mountain & does not give a rats ass. With #COVID you would think there would at least be some care about not packing the place to the gills but they don't care. The place was beyond overcrowded, 45 minute lift lines & they kept selling tickets to people strolling up. It was beyond ridiculous.

So Inclined

Today at Hunter was a disgrace. I've skied Hunter since I was a kid & have NEVER seen it as crowded as it was today (& I've been there over holiday weekends). Vail just keeps selling tickets WAY beyond the capacity of the mountain & does not give a rats ass. With #COVID you would think there would at least be some care about not packing the place to the gills but they don't care. The place was beyond overcrowded, 45 minute lift lines & they kept selling tickets to people strolling up. It was beyond ridiculous.
I don't think they kept "selling tickets" per se in any meaningful numbers today. This is just what happens with 2.1 million Epic passes sold and no reservation system or other way of limiting the number of people on the mountain.

Last edited:

baykon

it was brutal. i'm an epic passholder in the city and hadn't been to hunter all year. i'm under no illusions on saturday crowds but it exceeded my expectations. i didn't ride the flyer all morning, northern express singles line was basically ski on, so lapped overlook (which admittedly was pretty fun) and figured i'd move around in afternoon. tried the KF singles line 2x in the afternoon (once by accident when i spaced on skiing to F chair), and it took a chunk out of my day. could have sworn it was 40mins+ the second time. F chair was ok for singles but there was a decent line for groups.

apparently they ran out of rental gear yesterday pretty early on as well

catskillman

parking is out of control. The road to the condo's and hotel was unpassable. people could not get to their condo or the hotel because people parked literarly everywhere. !!

Today, we went to leave at 11:30 and a religious school van blocked the enterance to the old $15 a day lot so anyone in the trird row was blocked in and could not leave. I have seen this before.....

catskillman

so Vail is supposed to be all about safety... that water volcano under the 6 pack at the top of the double is growing in size and the color is now yellow. This is a 3! pile of solid ice. Today it was marked by a red lollipop at least. Someone hits that and it is all over.......

catskillman

SO the Ski School Director broke her tib, fib, both thumbs, and tore her ACL and MCL yesterday on the ice on Hellgate.

SO -
Why was the school school director free skiing on one of the busiest days of the year. Yesterday was a zoo, but not as bad as the past 2 Saturdays
Why was she not helping out the instructors / teaching etc. The mountain is turning away lessons due to the lack of instructors.
Why was she not recruiting instructors /coaches that were there from other mountains for the kids competiotion event
OR - novel idea why was she not watching these competitions, supporting Hunters competitors, and supporting their coaches

And - if the ice was too much for her, what does it tell you about the coditions at the mountain. They desperatly need to make snow and groom in the moring. Vail is allegedly all about safety but you would never it......

So Inclined

SO the Ski School Director broke her tib, fib, both thumbs, and tore her ACL and MCL yesterday on the ice on Hellgate.

SO -
Why was the school school director free skiing on one of the busiest days of the year. Yesterday was a zoo, but not as bad as the past 2 Saturdays
Why was she not helping out the instructors / teaching etc. The mountain is turning away lessons due to the lack of instructors.
Why was she not recruiting instructors /coaches that were there from other mountains for the kids competiotion event
OR - novel idea why was she not watching these competitions, supporting Hunters competitors, and supporting their coaches

And - if the ice was too much for her, what does it tell you about the coditions at the mountain. They desperatly need to make snow and groom in the moring. Vail is allegedly all about safety but you would never it......
Safe to say she was not free skiing.

Instructors have numerous clinics going on, both scheduled/formal and informal "anyone who's got 45 mins until their assignment begins, come out for a run and work on a skill" type things throughout the day. Maintaining a commitment to training and skill development among instructors is a really good thing for a ski school. Much better bet that that's what she was involved in, and something bad or unlucky happened. Shit happens. Speculation beyond that helps nothing.

The instructor shortage - a problem faced by ski schools all over the country - is not going to be changed in any meaningful way by recruiting people from other teams/mountains(🤣!) in late January (!!!) Or, for that matter, by a director standing at a line-up.

Last edited:

So Inclined

so Vail is supposed to be all about safety... that water volcano under the 6 pack at the top of the double is growing in size and the color is now yellow. This is a 3! pile of solid ice. Today it was marked by a red lollipop at least. Someone hits that and it is all over.......
I was even more concerned by the large band of ice I saw at the bottom of the first big pitch on Belt, but that's just me.

catskillman

Safe to say she was not free skiing.

Instructors have numerous clinics going on, both scheduled/formal and informal "anyone who's got 45 mins until their assignment begins, come out for a run and work on a skill" type things throughout the day. Maintaining a commitment to training and skill development among instructors is a really good thing for a ski school. Much better bet that that's what she was involved in, and something bad or unlucky happened. Shit happens. Speculation beyond that helps nothing.

The instructor shortage - a problem faced by ski schools all over the country - is not going to be changed in any meaningful way by recruiting people from other teams/mountains(🤣!) in late January (!!!) Or, for that matter, by a director standing at a line-up.
Training , at Hunter??? , seriously? big issue with instructors, they have all been failing exams...wasting money. You name it. And you don't train on Saturday with 7,000 perople on the slopes.

Also- they are turning down lessons - you think they are training........

catskillman

Just when would anyone ever train at Hunter, then?
Patrol was practicing sledding each other down the bumps on Milky Way midday yesterday too.
pre opening, and whenever there is a break in business, which has been non existant.

Trust me I know this

raisingarizona

SO -

I don't think that's any of your business honestly.

Slow your roll CatskillKaren.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I've skied plenty of Saturday runs in-uniform... sometimes doing things and sometimes just skiing.

Today our assistant director skied with my group for a few runs as his kid is in my seasonal program.

Hunter always had some really good pros...hope their training program hasn't gone to shit as claimed.

So Inclined

pre opening, and whenever there is a break in business, which has been non existant.

Trust me I know this
"They all suck!"
"They should never train! Or only for the pre-dawn half hour or so that they're not even allowed to actually go up on the mountain."

Yeah, clearly you know whereof you speak. Any area's program would be blessed to have you in management, dude. An incalculable loss to them.