• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any body know anything about Hunter???

catskillman

This Thursday at 5:30 at the library is the final input meeting for local input on the pending projects. Many have been eliminated for various reasons, like the person applying did not own the building, taxes on building had not been paid, dispensary, religious ownership did not meet open requirements. What is mostly left is the trolley, theatre, library, highschool, public housing and a lot of restoration for buildings on main st.

they were at $16 million last I knew.......

catskillman

n a response to how much they would contribute to a grant they applied for the one said he was going to sell the Greene Mountain Inn, which is where 30 foreign workers stayed last season. Hopefully Vail is all over that.

So at the meeting last night, it was stated that the Inn was under contract - no one seemed to know if it was Vail or not, and no one wanted to ask the sole mountain employee that was there if it was true. She may not have known anyway, as she is just in charge of skier services.......Let's hope, or it may be 30 less foreign workers without a place to stay.....

Vail has recently been turned down in Vail regarding building housing on land that they own. Neighboring lots are occupied by sheep and mega million dollar homes

jimmywilson69

the opposition in East Vail was weird, they (Vail Resorts) were blowing up their social media about it. Seemed rooted in NIMBYism...

catskillman

Went up to the mountain - they have removed the deck from the front of the base lodge (which was a safety hazard) and have put down new blacktop.

They also paved sections of the parking lot, specifically the lots that are going to be paved lots. Also painting the floors downstairs in the locker room. Snow tubing is torn up in the middle, not sure why.

New wrapping on the posts by the ticket booths, resembling the NYC subway system....
Web site has been updated with Octoberfest dates....

That's all I noticed......

IceEidolon

You're clearly not living with anyone who's gotten Long Covid - it's a heck of a lot worse than a cold. Vail was actually protecting guests and employees and gave up on it. As a mountain ops worker, they're risking losing an entire crew if one guy comes down sick and passes it to the break room and I'm not willing to sign onto a crew without a vaccination requirement.

I think further discussion on this topic is probably not suited for this thread, though, since it's going to end up in an ideological argument.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
You're clearly not living with anyone who's gotten Long Covid - it's a heck of a lot worse than a cold. Vail was actually protecting guests and employees and gave up on it. As a mountain ops worker, they're risking losing an entire crew if one guy comes down sick and passes it to the break room and I'm not willing to sign onto a crew without a vaccination requirement.

I think further discussion on this topic is probably not suited for this thread, though, since it's going to end up in an ideological argument.
I think Biden feels the same way.................but guess what?

abc

Sorry, I don’t think it’s an idealogical discussion any more. Maybe it was last year. Not today.

It’s a business decision of whether the mask requirement will deter more customer vs masks making people feel safe and not stay away.

If you’re on social media, you’ll believe most people are deter by mask requirement more than by safety concern. So it doesn’t surprise me they’re dropping mask requirements. What do the majority of customer really think in the real world outside of social media? I don’t know. But business will need to make business decisions. Right now, with even indoor entertainments are dropping mask requirements, no chance a ski hill will keep that requirement!

Personally, I love it when employees are required to wear masks whilst guests are free to choose. But I’m being selfish there…

IceEidolon

I was talking about employee vaccinations instead of guest masking requirements. In either case, personal freedom to infect other people has won out over basic precautions. There are over a million dead in the US and we're still averaging over a hundred more deaths per day, with many more stuck with long-term symptoms that we don't fully understand nor know how to treat.

abc

I was talking about employee vaccinations instead of guest masking requirements. In either case, personal freedom to infect other people has won out over basic precautions. There are over a million dead in the US and we're still averaging over a hundred more deaths per day, with many more stuck with long-term symptoms that we don't fully understand nor know how to treat.
Sorry, my mistake in reading. So disregard my previous post. It’s irrelevant.

Vaccine requirement. That’s on even thinner ice! Whether you’re vaccinated doesn’t impact me. So I really don’t care, even if I’m sharing the same break room. I’m back in the office (“occasionally”). And I really don’t care if my co-workers are vaccinated or not.

Now, if I’m immune compromised, or can’t be vaccinated for other reason, I would have cared more. Perhaps I may then choose to wear a mask.

I wouldn’t say Covid is “like a cold”. It’s more like a flu. A really bad flu at that. But I’ve been going to the office for many decades during flu season. And had caught it once. Not fun. That’s why I take the flu vaccine. thank god, haven’t gotten flu since.

Now, if my employer would give us unlimited sick leave, so my co-worker don’t have to come in while they had the flu, I wouldn’t have caught the thing! Though these days, they probably wouldn’t come in when they “don’t feel like it” anyway. ;)

skiur

Vaccines for covid aren't really going to work. The new strains are so different from the old ones that the vaccines do nothing for the new strains. It's just like another coronavirus called the common cold that there is no vaccine for because corona viruses mutate much too much for a vaccine to work. I've had covid three times, once before I was vaccinated and twice after. None of my cases were more than mild, but the second time (after being vaccinated) was the most severe.

IceEidolon

I completely agree that more permissive sick time policies could help cut down on disease spread generally.

Anecdotes just aren't convincing arguments. Collect a bunch of anecdotes and present them and I'll listen, but your personal experience shouldn't dictate health policy.

raisingarizona

I had covid before it was even in the news. I got wicked sick right after New Years 2020. I thought I was going to die. The pools of sweat were insane, I couldn't taste or smell anything and I couldn't move for 8 days. That funk stuck with me for another three months after that. I didn't feel sick but I had strange pains throughout my body and what felt like a swollen heart. I couldn't lay on my stomach because of that swollen heart discomfort. I also couldn't catch my breathe for that whole period. walking up and down stairs was a challenge.

I had it again this past winter. The new strains seem much less dangerous, especially if you've been vaccinated.

It's time we move on. We can't let the fearful run the show. I'm not sorry. If you're vulnerable and concerned then do as you feel necessary but don't tell everyone else what to do.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ