• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone ever drive from East coast to Rockies for skiing - in Winter?

greenjay

This terrible ski season in Vermont got me thinking about planning on a definite West trip next year.

Plane fare is too expensive for all of us, and we want to take our dog anyway, so want to
drive.

A few friends have said it's crazy bc of road conditions, but millions of people
drive through the Rockies every day in the winter - either because they live there, or to travel.

Since there was just a blizzard in Denver in late March - Spring is no easy driving guarantee either.

Just curious about any one else's experience - what route they took and what time of year.

Thanks.

AdironRider

This terrible ski season in Vermont got me thinking about planning on a definite West trip next year.

Plane fare is too expensive for all of us, and we want to take our dog anyway, so want to
drive.

A few friends have said it's crazy bc of road conditions, but millions of people
drive through the Rockies every day in the winter - either because they live there, or to travel.

Since there was just a blizzard in Denver in late March - Spring is no easy driving guarantee either.

Just curious about any one else's experience - what route they took and what time of year.

Thanks.

This plan will seem like a good idea until about Ohio, then you will have wished you just set a price alert online for cheap flights into Denver.

Trust me, it is a multiple day drive each way. Even rotating drivers. You will not save any money.

If you are heading out for a month plus then sure make the drive, but you will regret it otherwise spending the better part of 4 days (thats with no stops) just driving.

VTKilarney

Lots of people do it from Chicago, and points west.

From New England, you can get to Denver in two days of long driving. I say go for it if it's your only option. But it's going to be pretty brutal.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Agree on the agonizingly long drive.

Technically, I did that drive in October 2011 to relocate here in SLC in large part for skiing. I have not driven back of course ;)

Depending on where you are, Southwest may have some good cheap flight options to SLC. We have the goods right now and it is relatively easy and cheap to fly here. Once you are here there are many good skiing options that don't even require a car (you can take public transit). Our slopes are MUCH closer to the city than those outside of Denver.

Whitey

I've done it about 4-5 times. Usually drove 12-14 hrs a day. I made it from Nantucket to Idaho in 3 days each time (about 40 hrs total drive time). I was also young, crazy, & stupid (all of those make 14 straight hrs of driving by yourself somehow manageable). But I did it (and this is a BIG but) because I was ski bumming for the winter. So my trips out and back were separated by 4-5 months. To do it for a one week ski trip would be kind of crazy since you'd spend at least 4 days just driving out and back (assuming you don't stop and rotate drivers).

It was an adventure when I did it and I don't remember it being that bad. But I also wasn't planning on turning around and doing it again a week after I got there.

Just recently I drove from Michigan to Boston non-stop, about 12 hrs. It wasn't that bad.

I always took route 90 to route 80 across the country when I drove out west.

snoseek

Ive done this drive at least 30 times and if you have ppl to share the drive its not so bad at all. It is longer than you think though.

My personal record is grand junction to seacoast nh in 34 hours, alone. Plan your time from new england to Chicago well and be traveling from say buffalo to chicago during the overnight. Just get that part done smoothly and the midwest usually goes smoothly.

From nh i usually take 90-80-76-70-50 to get to tahoe because i like to stop and have fun. Slc just stay on 80

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

snoseek

Yeah also if youre going for less than two weeks i would just fly.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

jimk

I've done it numerous times. Below are some accounts of the journeys, all for ski trips in winter. Key is having some driving buddies and getting a big first day of driving. Shortest duration was about a 10 day trip, longest 9 weeks. Also, I always had more vacation time than money, which was a motivator that most don't have and I usually brought one or more family members that I was paying for, making gas cost cheaper than multiple airfares. With current gas prices it only takes about three bodies to beat the cost of flying, then you also have a car at destination and don't have to rent. And you have freedom to modify route/schedule, delay return, or chase powder. You gotta love driving on the open road and seeing the country, and I do.

Virginia to CO, UT, CA, WY, 2015 (~8500 miles): http://www.epicski.com/a/2015-geezer-ski-bum-tour-epicski-1 (first of five part series)

Virginia to CO, 2014: http://www.epicski.com/a/colorado-road-trip-recap

Virginia to NM and CO, 2012: http://www.dcski.com/forum/65735

Virginia to UT, 2011 (only trip where road conditions were an issue, storm delayed us a half day): http://www.dcski.com/forum/61798
PS: bonus points for doing this one in my son's ancient 1992 Civic.

Virginia to CO, 2009: http://www.dcski.com/forum/54008

Virginia to CO, 2003/04, this was the toughest, family of six in minivan: http://www.dcski.com/articles/281

CA, OR, NV, 2013: Not cross country, but about 2000 miles: http://www.dcski.com/forum/69289#new

Also made the drive from Virginia to CO in 1976 solo as a college student, and in 1991 with a couple buddies.

Last edited:

elks

That's a long drive and you could hit bad weather in plenty of places before getting to any significant mountain ranges. Add the wear and tear on your car, cost of gas/tolls, lodging and food along the way, and it may not be such a big saving.

If you have good credit and are good with paying your credit card in full each month, I'd recommend signing up for one or two credit cards with good sign-up bonuses and the whole family can fly for free. I've done it more than once. It's not all that difficult to find cards with a 50,000 miles sign-up after $2,000 in spend in the first 3 months. Some even without annual fees or the annual fee waived in the first year. You can even get two sign-up bonuses for the same card by applying separately for your wife and you. This site can give you all the ins and outs of playing this game: http://millionmilesecrets.com

Zermatt

Driving costs way more than just gas, wear and tear on your car is expensive. I suppose the more people the more cost effective

I know a couple guys who did it in a van and finished on a scooter. They went to a place where the beer flows like wine and the women flock like the salmon of Capistrano. A little place called Aspen.

Boxtop Willie

Agree completely with Trail Boss, SLC is the place to go. Stay in Midvale, bus takes you up BCC or LCC. Stay in Sandy and go up LCC. UTA is fantastic. And for God's sake, fly. Round trip out of Boston is $250. Park at the Blue Line at Wonderland for $6 a day and take subway to Logan. Fly out in the morning, ski that afternoon. Driving is a false economy. If you want an adventure, fly Spirit Airlines.

cdskier

i know a couple guys who did it in a van and finished on a scooter. They went to a place where the beer flows like wine and the women flock like the salmon of capistrano. A little place called aspen.

lol!

goldsbar

The record across the US is 28 hrs 50 minutes (http://jalopnik.com/meet-the-guy-who-drove-across-the-u-s-in-a-record-28-h-1454092837). That's facing jail time and likely spending more on gas than you'll ever spend on an airline ticket!

The only way you'll save money is if you're driving a gas sipping junker. I suppose you could go Rt 80 all the way to SLC. You'll pass the Park City region on the way. Best solution = scan for cheap flights and find a cheap hotel in SLC or Sandy by the bus line.

CoolMike

How's your credit rating?

You can get out west and back for two people for free by signing up for a travel credit card. Most have a 95$ per year fee, often not waved for the first year. Make sure to chose carefully - the lowest cost awards tend to be transient in nature but you can get to Denver for just 25,000 miles round trip per person on United fairly consistently. American Airlines is also good for travel redemption, also often for 25k round trip.

Denver is a United and Southwest hub. Salt Lake city is a Delta hub, but you must remember that award prices (in terms of miles) are often higher on Delta and the lowest cost awards are much harder to find on Delta.

I fly exclusively on miles for skiing. It helps me reduce the sticker shock for the whole trip.

Remember if costs are a concern overall then you will have to avoid all the Vail resorts in Colorado. Lift tickets are ~140$ or sometimes more. The cottonwood canyons in Utah get more snow and lift tickets can be purchased for almost half the cost.

Good luck!

Boxtop Willie

And remember the Denver airport is practically in Kansas, it's way east of the city and quite a haul to the front range.
SLC is less than an hour to most major resorts

jimk

I'm trying to figure out why those who have weighed in from New England are far less inclined to drive to the Rockies than me?
Maybe some reasons:

I don’t fly for work, so no frequent flyer miles.
As said before, I often had more vacation time than money during my lifetime.
I had four kids and was usually buying for multiple family members, which makes driving more economical than flying once you get to about three people, maybe even two.
I suppose coming from Wash DC area entails a more southerly route to the Rockies with less chance of snow on roads to/from.
I've driven to ski in New England even more than to the Rockies. I'm used to driving a long way to get 2k vertical feet skiing. Going to New England entails one day driving each way, Rockies entails two each way.
You guys are less desperate to get creative about traveling long distances to ski because your local skiing can be very good to great:)
Flying is not real fun for me and I (mostly) like driving and having a car full of my own stuff/gear to choose from once I get to the mtns.
I'm from an older generation where I like to stay at least a full week when I go on a ski trip to the West. I really dislike the short three or four day trips many folks from the East squeeze-in when they fly to the Rockies these days because I feel you are just getting used to the environment/elevation/terrain when it's time to go home.
Important final one, I'm pennywise and poundfoolish:-D

Edd

I'm trying to figure out why those who have weighed in from New England are far less inclined to drive to the Rockies than me?
Maybe some reasons:

I don’t fly for work, so no frequent flyer miles.
As said before, I often had more vacation time than money during my lifetime.
I had four kids and was usually buying for multiple family members, which makes driving more economical than flying once you get to about three people, maybe even two.
I suppose coming from Wash DC area entails a more southerly route to the Rockies with less chance of snow on roads to/from.
I've driven to ski in New England even more than to the Rockies. I'm used to driving a long way to get 2k vertical feet skiing. Going to New England entails one day driving each way, Rockies entails two each way.
You guys are less desperate to get creative about traveling long distances to ski because your local skiing can be very good to great:)
Flying is not real fun for me and I (mostly) like driving and having a car full of my own stuff/gear to choose from once I get to the mtns.
I'm from an older generation where I like to stay at least a full week when I go on a ski trip to the West. I really dislike the short three or four day trips many folks from the East squeeze-in when they fly to the Rockies these days because I feel you are just getting used to the environment/elevation/terrain when it's time to go home.
Important final one, I'm pennywise and poundfoolish:-D

I think you've covered the reasons in this post. Plenty of good reasons to fly instead of drive.