• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Attn. Killington, Chris Danforth, Marketing Manager - RE: SPRING SKIING

Highway Star

Chris,

Now that Killington has released the "4-play" spring pass, can you give a hint as to what to expect from spring skiing at Killington this year?

SAVE BIG THIS SPRING WITH THE 4-PLAY PASS.

Spring is around the corner and so is the snowiest month of the year, March! To celebrate the soft snow, warmer temps and a jam packed lineup of great events, we’re offering the absolute best deal on lift tickets with the 4-Play Pass for just $199! You’ll enjoy four days of skiing and riding with no blackout dates for less than $50 a day starting February 27 through the end of the 2011-12 winter season.

Plus, once you’ve purchased the 4-Play Pass and used your four days of discounted skiing and riding, you can reload your pass with more $49 lift tickets either on Killington’s E-Store or at any open ticket window.

We have seen fairly strong snowmaking efforts on OL, Lower Skyeburst, and Skyelark, and Superstar. Snowmaking has been fairly thin in the canyon and snowdon. Will Killington consider a Superstar/Skyepeak Quad spring operation that keeps Bear mountain (with the parks and OL) as long as possible? Which might need some more snowmaking on upper skyeburst?

Will Killington stay open later than the first weekend in May? Will they try weekend only operations? Will Bear stay open later than the first weekend in April? Will Killington attract visitors from other areas?

There are lots of rumors floating around, it would be helpful to hear something from Killington on this.

Thanks,

HS.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Can I just ask a general question. Is there anything anyone can say that everyone would be happy with? If not, I wonder how useful this question really is, or if it is more of an attempt just to stir the pot .... just saying.

I mean I hope something good comes of it... .just would prefer to see some productive or good discussion here is all.

Highway Star

Can I just ask a general question. Is there anything anyone can say that everyone would be happy with? If not, I wonder how useful this question really is, or if it is more of an attempt just to stir the pot .... just saying.

I think it's a perfectly legit question because:

- They just released a spring pass product
- Customers may like to know what to expect this year
- People like to make plans
- They are very unpredictable lately, mostly in a good way.

Please.

skiersleft

I mean I hope something good comes of it... .just would prefer to see some productive or good discussion here is all.

As a K season pass holder who brings up many friends to ski at K, I, am curious as to what's their plan for this spring. However, I'm pretty sure that HS won't be satisfied with any answer other than: we plan to open until the snow melts and open weekends only if need be, and we will keep bear open until mid to late April and we will run both Skye Peak and Superstar until we can't. Any other answer will lead to his usual rants and sickening epic fail crap. Since we're not going to get that answer, let's close this thread and keep debating helmet use in the other thread.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
While I know Chris checks in on the forums from time to time I probably wouldn't expect a response here as I see it as being somewhat baiting ... I know the questions are real and so forth but it sure feels like a trap :lol:

I would suggest trying to email them or ask them on their facebook page or something more direct and personal. A callout seems like a strange way to go about this.

Highway Star

As a K season pass holder who brings up many friends to ski at K, I, am curious as to what's their plan for this spring. However, I'm pretty sure that HS won't be satisfied with any answer other than: we plan to open until the snow melts and open weekends only if need be, and we will keep bear open until mid to late April and we will run both Skye Peak and Superstar until we can't. Any other answer will lead to his usual rants and sickening epic fail crap. Since we're not going to get that answer, let's close this thread and keep debating helmet use in the other thread.

Actually, no, I'm just asking. :roll:

Highway Star

While I know Chris checks in on the forums from time to time I probably wouldn't expect a response here as I see it as being somewhat baiting ... I know the questions are real and so forth but it sure feels like a trap :lol:

I would suggest trying to email them or ask them on their facebook page or something more direct and personal. A callout seems like a strange way to go about this.

I have private messaged him on another topic but did not get a response. I don't use facebook for all the obvious reasons.

Maybe I'll just ask his boss next time I see him at Killington.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nick brings u[ a good point Highwaystar. Why the call out? Why not just send him an email?

That's not to suggest that I don't enjoy industry rep involvement in the forums. I very much do and think dangah is a great contributor to discussion here.

It would just seem that given your very public internet war you've waged with Powd'r over the years, that a thread like this is designed to lure dangah in and then attack responses you're not happy with.

Highway Star

Nick brings u[ a good point Highwaystar. Why the call out? Why not just send him an email?

That's not to suggest that I don't enjoy industry rep involvement in the forums. I very much do and think dangah is a great contributor to discussion here.

It would just seem that given your very public internet war you've waged with Powd'r over the years, that a thread like this is designed to lure dangah in and then attack responses you're not happy with.

I don't see how this is in any way a call out. I am asking an industry rep a direct question on a public forum in a very polite manner.

skiersleft

I don't see how this is in any way a call out. I am asking an industry rep a direct question on a public forum in a very polite manner.

If you don't see it, then you obviously forgot who you are and what your forum history is.

jimmywilson69

It seems like a legitimate question(s), but the reality is that you are not going to get "firm" comitments on a closing date. Maybe they will reveal their hand on the operations. Hell maybey they will even take HS's idea of runing the Superstar and Skyepeak lift in the spring, which seems like a completely viable option.

Highway Star

If you don't see it, then you obviously forgot who you are and what your forum history is.

There is a huge difference between a politely asked legitimate question vs. callout. I don't have a problem with Chris Danforth, Killington Marketing Manager, who posts on here.

Highway Star

It seems like a legitimate question(s), but the reality is that you are not going to get "firm" comitments on a closing date. Maybe they will reveal their hand on the operations. Hell maybey they will even take HS's idea of runing the Superstar and Skyepeak lift in the spring, which seems like a completely viable option.

Not expecting a commitment, it is way too far out. Just asking some sort of clue as to what they are thinking.

BenedictGomez

I know the questions are real and so forth but it sure feels like a trap

gallery_1_1_5425.jpg

Riverskier

Holy crap people, give HS a break! These are legitimate questions, asked in a polite manner, and I am sure the answers would interest many people on this board.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Spring is around the corner and so is the snowiest month of the year, March!

While I see many people say March is the snowiest month, unfortunately that is a often repeated myth. In Vermont the snowiest is Jan, Feb, Dec then March.

"January is typically the snowiest month with median snowfall of 19.5 inches. The record snowiest month since records began was December 1970 with 56.7 inches." -NOAA

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

While I see many people say March is the snowiest month, unfortunately that is a often repeated myth. In Vermont the snowiest is Jan, Feb, Dec then March.

I wasnt going to say anything, but yeah, I read that from Killington and did a, huh?

Not that the difference between the snowfall in any of the 4 months is massively dramatically different, but March statistically has the least snow of any of the 4 months. It's common sense if you're thinking about averages, as cold is a necessary condition for snow.

awf170

"January is typically the snowiest month with median snowfall of 19.5 inches. The record snowiest month since records began was December 1970 with 56.7 inches." -NOAA

What you're quoting is for the valley. Which is completely irrelevant to what happens on the mountain.