• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Challenge 2009: Win Smith, Sugarbush Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Can't speak to the rudeness, just want to comment on people leaving their bags on tables. We had a strict policy at Wisp against this and a complimentary bag check area. Staff responsible for bussing tables were instructed to remove bags on or below tables and bring them to bag check.

I think the Lincoln Base has something similar? Though I'm not certain it's manned. I do remember having a place to put my bag out of the way and free of charge. Ellen should have something similar.

Yes, only LP has the bag check program, not ME. I think that would go a long way to solving the problem.

Newpylong

There's limited room in the Alpine Training facility - barely enough to hold the kids usually. There's no room for everyone's family to go there too...

Another question since this is still open. Regarding Mount Ellen, a lot of emphasis has been placed on attracting locals for weekend skiing or day visits. With an eye towards improving the quality of the experience, I am wondering if anything can be done about the lodge on race days. GMVS has their own private lodge by the Inverness Quad and that helps keep the GMVS racers and their junior racing programs in their own area. But when their guests come to race, which is pretty much every weekend, these folks clog the Mount Ellen Base Lodge, throw their stuff everywhere, take up lots of table space forcing other paying guests to sit on the floor, are rude to guests and staff, and really make the experience not very fun. Is there any way to ask them to go to the GMVS Lodge or to at least ask that they use a specific section of the lodge? Any way that GMVS can be asked to help police the situation? I understand that they can't control their guests, but at least there should be some communication regarding what is proper lodge etiquette and to remind them to be considerate of other guests.

I understand that GMVS is a major stakeholder at Sugarbush and they are a big reason why Ellen is still in operation, but there are other guests who are paying to use the facilities. Thanks.

thetrailboss

Staff member
There's limited room in the Alpine Training facility - barely enough to hold the kids usually. There's no room for everyone's family to go there too...

Are we talking about the same building? The one I'm referring to is a fairly significant building...about the same footprint size as the ME Lodge.

And I understand the issue with space, but in my experience at both Burke and SB, the racing crowd is probably the most inconsiderate bunch of folks I have ever seen. At least put the bags on the side of the room and don't throw stuff on the floor.

Newpylong

I would assume we are - there's only one at ME that I know of. The entire ground floor is ski lockers and tuning facilities. The top floor is tables and couches - but like I said, not enough space for the kids and all of their families.

Coming from the race world I would have to agree, there are a lot of dinks.

Are we talking about the same building? The one I'm referring to is a fairly significant building...about the same footprint size as the ME Lodge.

And I understand the issue with space, but in my experience at both Burke and SB, the racing crowd is probably the most inconsiderate bunch of folks I have ever seen. At least put the bags on the side of the room and don't throw stuff on the floor.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
At the Mt Ellen Lodge there is usually plenty of places for bags on overhead shelves and hangers above the tables plus the upstairs. There are small lockers in the lower level and on the main floor in the back room. It does get abit crowded when there big races but people seem to just go with the flow, didn't hear many complaints.

At the Gatehouse Lodge there is paid storage with Guest Services, a free but unsecure baggage room to the right of the GS Desk and small lockers on the first floor. No bags are allowed to be left upstairs in the main lodge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.