• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best place on a midweek powder day...

Jonni

Remember: Burke is the place where a lift line is waiting for your buddy at the bottom of the lift. From what I understand they also have some very underrated glades as well. I usually spend most of my time on the poma so I really don't know about the gladed terrain, but I hear it's great.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
From what I understand they also have some very underrated glades as well. I usually spend most of my time on the poma so I really don't know about the gladed terrain, but I hear it's great.
Burke has excellent glades. Unfortunately this years freeze thaw cycle resulted in limited opennings of the glades since a good base was slow to form :angry: . Typically they are steep, long, and tight (that just sounds dirty :lol: ).

AdironRider

Everyone rags on Whiteface glade availability, but every time Ive been in there Ive had a blast.

skibum1321

AdironRider said:
Everyone rags on Whiteface glade availability, but every time Ive been in there Ive had a blast.
I'm not ragging on them, I'm just trying to clarify what I've heard about WhiteFace. From everything I've heard there are more options in N VT. That's all...

AdironRider

Ill agree, Whiteface doesnt have much in terms of options for glades, but the 10th Mt Dvision glades are pretty big, and once your in there its pretty spread out with alot of options, so it always feels new.

tree_skier

Okemo would be the best if you can't make it there go to nashoba/blue hills/ski sundown etc. in general the roads are too dangerous on powder days to travel north of mass. and go anywhere but OKEMO.

Mad Skier

Jonni said:
Remember: Burke is the place where a lift line is waiting for your buddy at the bottom of the lift.

Until it becomes the next hi-dollar destination resort along the lines of Stowe. 65-72 dollars for a lift ticket, I think not.

On a powder day, midweek, definitely the glen. After that, Magic is a good mention, the Bush, Stowe. I've never skied Smuggs. Everyday is a powder day at Jay.

It was nice to see Cannon mentioned. I've skied there on powder days, which can be few and far between in Franconia on an off year; Unlike the Greens, and its really fun. Interesting to see the glades at Loon mentioned as well.

Mad Skier

tree_skier said:
Okemo would be the best if you can't make it there go to nashoba/blue hills/ski sundown etc. in general the roads are too dangerous on powder days to travel north of mass. and go anywhere but OKEMO.

Doesn't Okemo groom all their slopes even on a powder day?

SnowRider

Jay Peak. No doubt. With all the glades bound to be open you cant go wrong. Not to mention they probobly will get more snow than all the other mountains.

SnowRider

Greg

Staff member
kingslug said:
Plattekill, best $20.00 you can spend in the Catskills on a powder day. And it's the only time they will open up midweek.
Snow Daize, right? I wish I was closer so I could try this place out after a midweek dump...

Greg

Staff member
JimG. said:
Powder Daize. Worth the drive.
Perhaps, if the Catskills win the snow totals, but I'd imagine Plattekill is probably well over 3 hours for me. If the Berkshires or southern Greens fair well, I'd more likely hit up Beast or Magic.

JimG.

Staff member
Plattekill is about 35 minutes west of Hunter. If the roads are really bad, add another 10 minutes.

If we get the snow and things set up well for Powder Daize, the best bet is to drive up the night b4 and stay in Hunter. Or, you could crash at my house near Poughkeepsie and we could drive up early the next day.

Greg

Staff member
JimG. said:
Plattekill is about 35 minutes west of Hunter. If the roads are really bad, add another 10 minutes.

If we get the snow and things set up well for Powder Daize, the best bet is to drive up the night b4 and stay in Hunter. Or, you could crash at my house near Poughkeepsie and we could drive up early the next day.
Could be a plan...

AHM

They don't open it and it is not that good.........

highpeaksdrifter said:
On the map - 35 acres of out of bounds skiing on “The Slides” (conditions permitting); 28.5 acres of tree skiing.

There will be alot more after the expansion.

The place opens so rarely that it is pretty much a tease. Next, it just isn't that expert. The area is scared of them and actually thinks its big avie terrain. It is no avie terrain. Avie terrain is La Grave with 140 cm fresh and a rating of 4/5 on the French scale (skied it in those conditions, understand avie, have much avie training).

In fact, 2' dump in the east and it has to be MRG. It is much steeper, tighter and aggressive. Then it would be SB due to the rock and the big lines in the 'brook and the no crowd. WF just doesn't have that terrain period. Jay is good, gets great snow, but the trees are so much looser than SB. Face it Jay boys, it's loose and the real steep comes right of the bat and then it is pretty tame. Don't get me wrong, love Jay, love it on a deep day, the kind where I ski to my car, sweep off 10" to toss the XXX's in and then pop the cap of the blind faith in the cooler..................can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AHM

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
any place off the map is always good for a powder day. less competition and more powder is always a good thing. that is why i enjoy the jay-burke mid-week deal! jay is certainly the place to be on a powder day, and that is why burke can actually be better than jay due to less traffic.

takeahike46er

AHM said:
The place opens so rarely that it is pretty much a tease. Next, it just isn't that expert. The area is scared of them and actually thinks its big avie terrain. It is no avie terrain. Avie terrain is La Grave with 140 cm fresh and a rating of 4/5 on the French scale (skied it in those conditions, understand avie, have much avie training).

Who has ever compared The Slides to runs in The Alps? (other than you)

Within the context of the northeast they are indeed the real deal. The sustained pitch and gnarly terrain makes for a unique lift serviced experience. The Slides are a blast to ski, especially after a midweek dump. I doubt anyone on this board would disagree. Except for AHM, cause its not avie enough for him.

Last edited: