• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Storm Skiing

snowmaker4191

Website
www.snowhill.com.50megs.com
Waist deep last week!

portillo.bmp

ware is that? yea this whole forum is making me sick right about now, what i would do for some powder...

JimG.

Staff member
Very right, the second face over on the high traverse, right below "Toilet Bowl"

Brings back nothing but fine memories. I don't think I had a bad run the whole time I was there, and that area simply kicked ass. We skiied just about every line off the high traverse, starting with the chute closest to the Roca Jack lift and traversing out eventually to the steeps across from the Chilean army base. Great place!

Did you do any heliskiing?

bvibert

Staff member
Great topic! You should start more.
Agreed!

As for Southern New England, the best storm I skied in was ironically last season.........in Connecticut.........in early December!
Dsc06571.jpg

Brian might vaguely remember that day... ;)

I seem to vaguely remember something about that day. ;) Not a bad way to start the season! :spread: :snow:
Here's another from that day:
View attachment 146
That was definitely my best storm day, hopefully I'll get one at a bigger mountain up North this season.

Dammit all these pics of pow are making me really miss winter.

Last edited:

kingslug

Can't remember when, but it snowed over 3 feet on the day before new years eve. We where at Belleayre and it was blower powder. Lot of falling going on as we had not skied that much powder before. It took us 5 hours to get up to the house. thankfully the snow was so light that shoveling it out of the driveway was easy.

tirolerpeter

Best Storm?

Best "East Coast Storm" was in late March in either 00 or 01. I drove up to Mt. Snow late one Friday evening (wasn't retired yet) and it started to snow around noon on Saturday. By closing, there was about 6" and a promise of much more. Next morning there was about 18" - 20" of fresh powder, with some drifted areas exceeding 3'. I got on the lift a few minutes after the ski patrol took off, so I had some great "first tracks" opportunities. It was really a blast, especially on the steeps. My best "West Coast Storm" was in March of 05' when it started snowing about 10:00 AM while we were at Alta. By the afternoon it was over 2' and by morning it was over 4'. We skied Snowbird the next day in drifts over our waist.

loafer89

The February 11-12th 2005 dump at Sugarloaf of 25" of relatively wind free snow was my biggest snow fall of the 21st century. I skied an easy 3-4' of powder in Face Chutes at Jay in March of 1997.