• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

best truly waterproof outerwear and gloves?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Actually I have one complaint about my Flylow jackets. The hoods can't zip off. They are perfectly designed to fit over a helmet, but I've never liked doing that. Makes me feel claustrophobic and hot. I like a little breeze around my neck and between the helmet and the hood, it just feels hot and humid. The hoods are always down and just collecting precipitation while I ski.

But I also use both jackets casually and obviously without a helmet on and in that use, having a hood is beneficial and used frequently in wet weather.

I think all top end jackets should have zip off hoods.

Terry

I have a pair of rubber? Coated gloves that oil truck drivers wear that work great on rainy days. I think they are kinkos.

drjeff

For true rainy ski days, like yesterday, glove wise I have a pair of what many snowmakers wear, Joka Polar Extremes. Think they were less than $50 when I got my pair via Amazon a few years ago.

I had on a pair of my Patagonia gore tex shell pants and my Arcteryx Gore tex shell over my Mountain Hardware soft shell in the almost 3hrs of continuous moderate rain I skied in yesterday and was bone dry

JDMRoma

Seems like this stuff will become more and more useful....these days. :(
Yup ! last year I had a few rain days, not fun when you equipment doesnt keep you dry. over the summer I bought a Marmot Gor-tex KT Jacket, tested it out yesterday and it did the job. 3 plus hours of consistent rain and I was dry, just ordered the pants. Still need to Snow seal my gloves too but getting there !

abc

link me an example or two of the type of rain jackets you are referring to please?
I have a Showers Pass cycling rain jacket that I use for more than just cycling: https://www.rei.com/product/203722/showers-pass-refuge-cycling-jacket-womens I assume there must be a man’s model, or two.

I believe Arcteryx also has a line of uninsulated jackets.

None of them are any less expensive than ski jackets. But I like the fact I can use them in the summer. For skiing, a lot of the time when it’s raining, it’s not all that cold. I already own several mid-layer that would keep me very warm when it’s above 30 degrees.

kbroderick

I have a Showers Pass cycling rain jacket that I use for more than just cycling: https://www.rei.com/product/203722/showers-pass-refuge-cycling-jacket-womens I assume there must be a man’s model, or two.

I believe Arcteryx also has a line of uninsulated jackets.

None of them are any less expensive than ski jackets. But I like the fact I can use them in the summer. For skiing, a lot of the time when it’s raining, it’s not all that cold. I already own several mid-layer that would keep me very warm when it’s above 30 degrees.
I also find that, if it's truly pouring, I'd rather have a shell on because it will dry out more quickly. Even with Goretex, insulated jackets tend to hold moisture longer (IME), and a shell allows actual air gaps between layers to better fend off the damp feeling.

Glove, Outdoor Research Mt Baker mittens with liners. $150, never wear out. Worth every penny for rain.
Paints Arcteryx
Jacket Patogonia - Gortex rain shell.

abc

Uninsulated shells are the way to go in every condition. Layer under it for what ever temp you encounter.
I disagree with the “every condition” part.

I’ve own a couple of insulated jackets. When it’s the right temperature, there’s no need for any mid-layer. Less stuff to bunch up underneath. Less stuff to take off when needing to use the bathroom or lunch break. Just less hassle.

Also, insulated jackets are great for winter day to day use. Say what you will about people wearing their Arcteryx to the supermarket. It’s convenient, warm, easy to clean spills off (thanks to waterproof). And since these are made to be quite durable, anyone who skis less than 100 day a season really need to use it even when not skiing in order to get their money’s worth.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Uninsulated Gore tex outer layer over a good shell works for me. I pair something like these with cheap raingear pants over regular ski pants and I stay dry. Sat. was the best ski day this weekend.

Smellytele

I disagree with the “every condition” part.

I’ve own a couple of insulated jackets. When it’s the right temperature, there’s no need for any mid-layer. Less stuff to bunch up underneath. Less stuff to take off when needing to use the bathroom or lunch break. Just less hassle.

Also, insulated jackets are great for winter day to day use. Say what you will about people wearing their Arcteryx to the supermarket. It’s convenient, warm, easy to clean spills off (thanks to waterproof). And since these are made to be quite durable, anyone who skis less than 100 day a season really need to use it even when not skiing in order to get their money’s worth.
If you have the right insulating layers then it it no more bulky than an insulated jacket. I have multiple insulating layers to choose from to get it right.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I can get onboard with uninsulated only for jackets even though I do own a very lightly insulated Flylow for cold days that I love. I can make myself just as warm with the my uninsulated Flylow with a different underlayer combo and not feel to bulky.

Pants are different. I don't like three layers below the waist and my heaviest base layer plus shell isn't enough for skiing below 5 degrees. Well really just the lift rides. So, I definitely like having an insulated pant for those bitter days.

Kingslug20

I've used up to 5 layers when Stowe hit 48 below windchill last year...worked pretty well..the shell keeps that damn wind out.
And it gets pretty windy up there...

PAabe

The only gloves I've used that are 100% waterproof are those rubber-coated work gloves

5922_A.jpg

And the only raincoats I've worn that are 100% waterproof are also rubber but those are not practical for skiing because they have zero breatheability. I do wear my (not rubber) regular rain jacket and rain pants skiing sometimes if it is raining. If nothing else it dries out faster than the insulation in my ski gear. And if I'm wearing non cotton polypropylene layers or whatever underneath I stay pretty warm even if I get a bit damp. +Wool socks

Gore text is great, it breathes and will stay dry to a point but will not when submerged or constantly covered in pouring rain all day

Last edited:

PAabe

Skiing in the rain has some redeeming points if the snow is soft but not slushy. And it usually is not crowded and not bitter cold if it's raining. Although snowing is obvs better