• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon after 4/14

Bumpsis

I expect that Cannon's cover will be quite skiable for a good while after they close. I'm contemplating hiking up with my downhill equipment on my back (no other choices available to me now) to harvest some corn when conditions are ripe.

Does anyone know if there are any official prohibitions in place to keep me from this?

Cannonball

Yes, there are absolutely "official prohibitions" against hiking any of the Cannon ski trails at all times of year.

With that said, I've done it in the past and will probably do it again this year.

Puck it

Yes, there are absolutely "official prohibitions" against hiking any of the Cannon ski trails at all times of year.

With that said, I've done it in the past and will probably do it again this year.

It says hiking not skinning!!!!!

Are we closing Cannon on Sunday?

Cannonball

It says hiking not skinning!!!!!

Are we closing Cannon on Sunday?

True enough, but you'd probably have to skin across a fair amount of grass and mud to stick within that interpretation.

In most of life there are rules, and there is reality. This space in between is guided by a policy of "just don't be a dick about it". It's the people that make a mess of things that screw it up for people who choose to ignore the rules....but in a conscientious way. That seems to work at Cannon too. Nobody is going to hassle you for earning some turns if you don't: leave your trash around, mess with equipment, cause damage, get hurt, etc, etc.

But before all of that, hell ya we're closing the place Sunday!

SIKSKIER

Many people hike and ski Cannon after closing.Really not an issue.What they don't like is hiking on the trails when there is no snow on them to keep the thin topsoil from getting beat up.I'll be earning some turns the next few eeks.

legalskier

I expect that Cannon's cover will be quite skiable for a good while after they close. I'm contemplating hiking up with my downhill equipment on my back (no other choices available to me now) to harvest some corn when conditions are ripe.
Does anyone know if there are any official prohibitions in place to keep me from this?

When I was there a couple of weeks ago there was a sign by the lodge saying something like "no hiking on the trails." It struck me as odd- can they keep people from hiking in a state park? Or is the sign there for liability purposes, i.e. they can't be blamed for failing to warn someone who gets hurt doing so?

Bumpsis

When I was there a couple of weeks ago there was a sign by the lodge saying something like "no hiking on the trails." It struck me as odd- can they keep people from hiking in a state park? Or is the sign there for liability purposes, i.e. they can't be blamed for failing to warn someone who gets hurt doing so?

SIKSIER's explanation of the "no hiking' sign makes sense. I will most likely be there this weekend (sat or sun) and afterwards try earn some turns as time and conditions allow.

Puck it

SIKSIER's explanation of the "no hiking' sign makes sense. I will most likely be there this weekend (sat or sun) and afterwards try earn some turns as time and conditions allow.

Like I said you probably will not be alone.

Angus

I've hiked up when they have been in middle of replacing the trams cable and have been asked just to avoid the trails where work was being performed. My trips up have always been right around May One and have found coverage to be almost top to bottom. I park on the road underneath one of the front four slopes, hike up to the quad, cut across to profile, take a couple runs part-way down profile and then ski back down. I've found coverage on one or two of front four outlasts anything that's serviced by base quad.