• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon lift out to bid

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Sorry, I've had enough of this thread. If you don't believe I know what I'm talking about, that's fine. You're welcome to continue living in your armchair quarterback ski industry dreamworld.

Tin Woodsman

Sorry, I've had enough of this thread. If you don't believe I know what I'm talking about, that's fine. You're welcome to continue living in your armchair quarterback ski industry dreamworld.

It's nice and toasty in here. Would you like a marshmallow?

SIKSKIER

Stomp your feet,take your ball and go home?

So if somebody disagrees with you our point of views don't matter?I know you don't know what your talking about with a few of your comments of Cannon because I've lived there for 35 years.This makes your other arguments open to debate whether you like it or not.I'm sure you know a lot more than I do about the used lift market so I would not pretend to post opinions as fact in that reguard.Don't be afraid to yield to people with more knowledge in other areas than yourself.The more you learn,the more you find out how much you don't know.

bobbutts

I've never been to Jiminy, so I shouldn't have mentioned them in there without doing research. That said, you would be out of your mind to not concede to my point on Wachussett, especially considering how much easier it would be to get there from the Metro West and southeast Mass. Everybody knows that place is an absolute zoo becasue its the closest 1k vert area around. Also- the reused chairlift that they relocated is quite short from what I can gather.

Gunstock is better suited to service young families and beginners though upper intermediates. Totally different crowd. Again, probably one of the closest quazi resort areas to Boston, so there is most certainly a convenience factor (ie the trade-off of time/convenience/price (potentially) v. resort amenities, ski lifts, terrain, and snow certainly apply). Again, they re-used THEIR OWN summit triple to replace a beginner/low intermediate pod's double that was roughly 40+ years old.

Those installs are weak for comparison to Cannon on a good day at best.

Cannon and Gunstock very much a day trip destinations for Boston and people stay over for weekends or longer near both. Wawa is an appetizer for Metro MA. Jiminy is another market altogether. Point is none of that really matters.

I think alot of the market expects a detachable of some kind, and the decision to install a slow, low capacity lift instead of detachable is to me the most interesting aspect of this.

Second most interesting is going with very limited widening and snowmaking for this pod.

Read: we're getting (semi)new, uncrowded, natural terrain = win in my book

Cannon is pretty unique really and this is a fairly unique expansion to reclaim a mostly lost area while retaining character. Regardless of whether the State of NH got the best possible value on the chair or made the best financial investment overall, I think it's an exciting expansion. I will certainly visit it this season to check it out.

EPB

Read: we're getting (semi)new, uncrowded, natural terrain = win in my book

Cannon is pretty unique really and this is a fairly unique expansion to reclaim a mostly lost area while retaining character. Regardless of whether the State of NH got the best possible value on the chair or made the best financial investment overall, I think it's an exciting expansion. I will certainly visit it this season to check it out.

I'm with you on this much. It will be exciting for sure. As a NH resident, I'll be sure to see what my state has mustered up for this expansion.

SIKSKIER

I think alot of the market expects a detachable of some kind, and the decision to install a slow, low capacity lift instead of detachable is to me the most interesting aspect of this.

Second most interesting is going with very limited widening and snowmaking for this pod.
The decision was made for them to install a double and have limited cutting.The only way the USFS would allow the land swap was with trails remaining at the width of when Mittersill last operated.A higher capacity lift would need a wider clearing than ever existed and that was not allowed.Widening can only go back to what was there before.

Puck it

The decision was made for them to install a double and have limited cutting.The only way the USFS would allow the land swap was with trails remaining at the width of when Mittersill last operated.A higher capacity lift would need a wider clearing than ever existed and that was not allowed.Widening can only go back to what was there before.

Thus may be a custom design and not a std. double

bigbob

My sources tell me that Doppelmayr will be building the new lift at Mittersill. It will be a double as we all know, no frills, an econo lift if you will... more to come

Has the governor's council signed the contract yet? Perhaps he was referring to this.