• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon sunset hike

lftgly

I went for a nice bushwack on Cannon late yesterday afternoon, and descended at sunset, with beautiful views through the trees to the north and west.

Tonight I caught the opposite view, looking southeast to Cannon. A rainbow crossed the sky over Lafayette from somewhere over Bethlehem, ending at the summit of Cannon. As fast as I pulled the camera out, the last rays of sunlight faded, and the rainbow disappeared. This picture caught the last glimpse of it, taken at 7:34PM Monday, 8/22/2005.

IMG_0391CannonRainbow_S.jpg

IMG_0391CannonRainbowS.jpg

I only wish I had a shot of it in all it's brilliance 60 seconds earlier. Any one else see it?

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
thetrailboss said:
Awesome. Took my first drove over Sugar Hill last week...amazing!
Even more so on a bicycle. :D If you get the chance, go in late spring when the lupines are in bloom. There's a real nice patch just across the road from Polly's Pancake Parlor (I think that's the name) with the mountains in Franconia as the back drop. I was fortunate enough to see this on a trip to Sugar Hill for some road work my company was doing.

Smitty

bigbog

late spring...at lower altitudes up in Maine woodlands

smitty77 said:
....If you get the chance, go in late spring when the lupines are in bloom....Smitty
Have forgotten its name..maybe a lupine?, but there's a deep blue flower up here...at the lower altitudes, along the edges of the cold-water ponds & streams.....Same hue, same time of year smitty77. My favorite time of year for paddling, flatwater and ww 8) .

Mike P.

Nice shots, Waumbek from the other hiker boards has often wrote about how nice it is around Sugar Hill.

cath

LG/JH ~ Nice. We are so lucky to live so close Eh? Next time give a wave over to this side :)

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Welcome to AlpineZone, Cath!
:)

I should also chime in that yes, I agree that it's gorgeous over there. I've only been once, heading over to the Coppermine Trail (and back afterward), but had I had time would have been stopping for pictures every 50 feet!