• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Tram Future

drjeff

The Tram should be a part of any future plans for Cannon. Total year round tourist attraction.

Heck, the only reason I know that a few miles down the road at Loon that they operate their gondola for scenic rides in the non skiing months, is I see friends of mine, who have a place by Loon and go there most weekends year round, post pictures of them most every Sunday as they're taking the gondola up on Sunday mornings for the church services I guess that have at the top of the gondola.

The Cannon Tram, well thats even a staple of most advertising for NH tourism, and I am guessing that even if Cannon wasn't state run, that that would still likely be the case

snoseek

I would be happy if they ran it midweek. I love Cannon, its forever my home base but not having tram access midweek sucks big time. That upper quad gets bone chilling cold...I miss the tbars most days

thetrailboss

Staff member
I would be happy if they ran it midweek. I love Cannon, its forever my home base but not having tram access midweek sucks big time. That upper quad gets bone chilling cold...I miss the tbars most days
Do they still not run it midweek, or only M, W, F? I say this because they ran that 2 for 1 deal on Tuesdays and Thursdays (or they used to) and I think those days had some traffic.

EDIT: looks like that deal is gone. And looks like only S-S for the Tram with holiday periods as well.

Edd

I hate trams but last season at Cannon I had the worst ride on the summit quad that I’ve had in years. It was sooooo bad, after the second ride I quit for the day.

bigbob

I hate trams but last season at Cannon I had the worst ride on the summit quad that I’ve had in years. It was sooooo bad, after the second ride I quit for the day.
I guess you never had the pleasure of riding the double T Bars back in the day!

BodeMiller1

What I read in A History Of Cannon Mountain is that Spookie, Gremlin and Jasper's Hideaway are named for deceased Tramway base lodge cats. I assume Jasper got out one day and that's where they found him.
Yep, I read it there as well. Neat book.

BodeMiller1

The T-bars to the top were nice because they were out of the wind. I wonder how close to the "top" they went pretty sure you had to skate over to the tram house. Seems like all of the top was much narrower, butt I was smaller.

I learned at Pats Peak, then learned to rip at Cannon. I like to hike up in the fall w/ a full moon. The whole valley simmers like an alien moon scape.

ceo

The T-bar unload was in the same place as the Cannonball unload. They were not only more sheltered but also a good bit faster than Cannonball; the left one might be the fastest T-bar I've ever ridden. Not what you'd call comfortable though.

deadheadskier

Staff member
We skied Cannon only once as a kid. I didn't ski there again until I moved to NH in 08 and it's been a regular stop for me ever since 2-4 times a season.

The experience as a kid was memorable. 2nd season skiing for my family and we had only been skiing at more tame places like King Ridge, Cranmore, Waterville and Sunapee. I recall only two things from the day. One that it was a bitter cold , icy Cannon day. Two, those T-Bars. Only rode them once with my dad. Mom was too intimidated by them.

BodeMiller1

The T-bar unload was in the same place as the Cannonball unload. They were not only more sheltered but also a good bit faster than Cannonball; the left one might be the fastest T-bar I've ever ridden. Not what you'd call comfortable though.
Good to know. The Pats Peak T-bar with the FIS trail on the right was scary at night. T-bars must be cheaper to install and don't have the wear and tear of chairs, etc. I like to go to the top on the Cannon ball ad head skier's left: boiler plate frozen groomed. Amazing how many people go off those trails before the sun comes around. Anyone ever go off the back (south east). I started to once, got lost and then stoned and came to back and met with the snow goblins and the Huffington's. I like to ski with the Huffington's as they are very safety concsiouss.

KustyTheKlown

The whole valley simmers like an alien moon scape.

i stayed up in franconia for a weekend last winter. i arrived pretty late on Friday and gassed up before getting to the motel so i could get an early start the next morning. the gas station felt weird. just a vibe. the next day i passed by and in the daylight realized it was the alien abduction gas station - https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/betty-barney-hill-memorials

LmpwZw.jpg

Smellytele