• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Chairlift incident at Crotched

glennz

I ski every weekend in NH/ME with my 9 year old grandaughter and use my poles as an extra safety bar in front of her. Works good, particularly on lifts with no foot rest. Alot of the fixed chairs come onto you pretty quick. I've had instances where my granddaughter hasn't gotten completely on the seat before lift off. Fortunately I'm focused on her and have been able to pull her back. We always put the bar down too. I see too many parents teaching their kids bad habits by riding with the bar up. Stupid. On more than one occasion at Wildcat, if we hadn't had the bar down I'm convinced we would have been bucked out of the chair by the wind.

One other note. I've got nine days under my belt so far this season, and I've seen more instances of lifties hunkered down in their house, or standing there with hands in their pockets and not tending the lifts on fixed chairs than any previous season. Not sure why other than abnormally cold temps. Just an observation.

HD333

My girls are almost 10 and every time I get on a lift with them I am basically pushing them into the back of the chair out of habit from when they were real little. My wife does the same thing. I will probably do that forever just out of habit.