• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Christmas week

nhskier1969

Not sure if anyone has tried to secure lodging for Christmas week. I looked on or near the mountain for lodging and it is non existent at all the Ikon properties. I could normally book my holiday week at Sugarbush sometime in November. Not this year. I tried other Ikon resorts and same thing nothing.

Has anyone else had the same issue?

skiur

I avoid skiing Christmas week like Covid. This year sounds even worse. Hope I am wrong.

Agreed, Xmas week is the worst week of the year to ski. I do like to come up the 30th and ski the 31st through the 2nd. The mountain is always empty.

BenedictGomez

As someone who hasnt skied Christmas week this millennium (really), is the expert terrain at least empty, or is it just a poop-show everywhere?

HowieT2

Beats sitting around but It depends on conditions as always. 2017 there was snow and it was exceedingly cold so the woods were in play and crowds cowering by their fireplaces. Skiing was great.

HowieT2

Not sure if anyone has tried to secure lodging for Christmas week. I looked on or near the mountain for lodging and it is non existent at all the Ikon properties. I could normally book my holiday week at Sugarbush sometime in November. Not this year. I tried other Ikon resorts and same thing nothing.

I haven’t looked into this season but in the past, by this time of year, lodging was tight at sugarbush.

ghughes20

With lodge access being somewhat restricted this year, I expect on mountain accommodations will be a hot ticket this season with easy access for lunch or warm up.

I would also expect limited day trippers and less demand for accommodations off mountain that require a shuttle bus or drive to the mountain. Gearing up and/or having your lunch in a car if there's limited access to the ski lodge will get tiresome quickly - especially for families.

mikec142

We usually ski 24-27 and find the mountains to be basically empty but in the past, we stayed with family in Burlington. Can't stay with family this year as one of them has some underlying conditions. Will have to figure it all out but can't worry about it now.

Boxtop Willie

Rental market at Sugarbush moved very early this year. I had Christmas week booked back in June, and at a 25% premium over what I charged last year. Last year Xmas week didn't book until Nov 2. Several rentals may start showing up on Airbnb today and tomorrow. One of the booking settings keeps your place "hidden" until 3 months before the availability date...and 3 months from today is Christmas Eve.
Good luck for those still searching

dlague

As someone who hasnt skied Christmas week this millennium (really), is the expert terrain at least empty, or is it just a poop-show everywhere?

Christmas Day is also a good day to go. We always say trip Christmas Day and. New Years Day. We have found that many of the sizable mountains are not even fully open yet - that being said, about two years ago or so, New England got dumped on during December.

We have had some pretty wet days during that time and had the liberty of skiing some very solid runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikec142

Christmas Day is also a good day to go. We always say trip Christmas Day and. New Years Day. We have found that many of the sizable mountains are not even fully open yet - that being said, about two years ago or so, New England got dumped on during December.

We have had some pretty wet days during that time and had the liberty of skiing some very solid runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two seasons ago, Vermont was amazing during Snovember. I remember skiing fully covered powdery runs at Sugarbush on natural trails like Twist and Moonshine on Thanksgiving day.

Last year we did the hike to Castlerock on Christmas Eve day. It was a fun hike and the views were spectacular, but the skiing at the bottom of CR on the run out was awful.

As I said above, we are blessed that we have close family in Burlington so we often get to ski on holidays and are home in plenty of time. Many times, the skiing isn't great, but it's always better than not skiing and it's good to knock the rust off. And every once in a while, you get those early season gems like we did two years ago.

mister moose

Snovembers are rare. But rain between Dec 23-31 is a 5 out of 8 shot, and some are warm enough to lose terrain. Cold MLK has been the rule lately.

Christmas week skiing is about family, not epic conditions. I typically don't get on holiday snow until a few days after Christmas, and the crowds aren't oppressive, it's more like a continuous string of average Saturdays.

abc

I avoid skiing Christmas week like Covid. This year sounds even worse. Hope I am wrong.
I skied many years’ Christmas eve/day, and NY eve/day. Always blissfully quiet.

But terrain could be limited. So I wouldn’t pay the holiday walk up window price. Only ski mountains I have a pass.

In normal year, December are good month to knock the rust off. But this year I’ll be more careful. If the resorts have to close die to COVID-19, those early days will count and reduce any potential refunds. I will treat all early season day as $100 days in deciding to ski or not ski.

Basically I’ll only ski when the mountain is fully open (>85%).

On lodging, I have a feeling availability may open up close to the time. A lot of lodging are currently “booked” by people using “credits” when resorts shut down in March, and are fully refundable. They may cancel any time, making them available in coming months.

Last edited:

cdskier

In normal year, December are good month to knock the rust off. But this year I’ll be more careful. If the resorts have to close die to COVID-19, those early days will count and reduce any potential refunds. I will treat all early season day as $100 days in deciding to ski or not ski.

With Epic yes, but not with Ikon. With Ikon it is purely based on the number of days closed during the "core season". Epic factors in how many days you skied into their refund calculation.

abc

With Epic yes, but not with Ikon. With Ikon it is purely based on the number of days closed during the "core season". Epic factors in how many days you skied into their refund calculation.
Yes and no.

If I remember it right, you can only defer the pass to 21/22 if you haven't used it...

cdskier

Yes and no.

If I remember it right, you can only defer the pass to 21/22 if you haven't used it...

Deferral is a different topic than what you were talking about in terms of "reducing any potential refunds if resorts close". Deferal is all or nothing and isn't directly related to whether resorts close or not as Ikon allows you to defer for absolutely any reason at all (i.e. resorts can be open but you just don't personally feel safe going to them).

abc

Deferral is a different topic than what you were talking about in terms of "reducing any potential refunds if resorts close". Deferal is all or nothing and isn't directly related to whether resorts close or not as Ikon allows you to defer for absolutely any reason at all (i.e. resorts can be open but you just don't personally feel safe going to them).
It’s not just “feeling safe” though.

What’s the lifeline going to be like under “social distancing guide line”?

So with the all or nothing Ikon policy, the first day is “all” in many sense.

JimG.

Staff member
It’s not just “feeling safe” though.

What’s the lifeline going to be like under “social distancing guide line”?

So with the all or nothing Ikon policy, the first day is “all” in many sense.

If VT continues with its' draconian restrictions on out of state visitors perhaps none of what you are discussing will matter. Unless quarantining for 14 days before you can ski works for you.

And I have yet to see any refund/deferral policy for out of state passholders who can't come to a ski resort because of these restrictions. Basically if the resort is open and you are from a restricted state that's your problem.

I think a lot of tri-state area passholders will be asking for refunds or deferrals.

1dog

We just opened up Dec 20-26th if you want to check us out just PM me.
Thx

abc

If VT continues with its' draconian restrictions on out of state visitors perhaps none of what you are discussing will matter. Unless quarantining for 14 days before you can ski works for you.
What’s so different about VT’s rule? I thought every state had something similar?