• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

clear goggles needed for night skiing?

tarponhead

For night skiing, are clear goggles "required"?

FWIW, I have a zeal photocromatics that are awesome during daytime conditions. Handles variable conditions great.

TIA

gmcunni

i prefer no goggles at all.

if i need to wear them i prefer clear over yellow. i have both but the yellow (for me) doesn't do a good job.

i bought smith fuze goggles and extra lens, switch out as needed.

jaja111

I only throw on the clear goggles at night if the snow's coming down hard or the guns are all at full blast.... especially for the guns. A face full of not quite yet frozen fake snow is a blinding experience at night.

wa-loaf

You can get clear lenses for most goggles, but the persimmon lense on my Oakleys works just fine at night.

WJenness

I really like my bolles with yellow lenses, I bought a new pair for this year because I cracked the lens in a fall at Wa last winter.

-w

the best lens for night skiing is clear. Yellow, rose, persimmon, green, etc all filter out some amount of light...their VLT (visable light transmission) will range in the 60% and up...Oakley Hi-Intensity gets up to 81% but you're still filtering out some of the available light. Only clear comes close to 100% VLT (smith states 98% due to the effect of the lens). I can't understand how anyone can ski without goggles...if its 40 or below I have to use them or my eyes will water like crazy. If you do a lot of night skiing or especially racing at night, a clear lens or dedicated clear goggle are a completely worthwhile investment.

tarponhead

Thanks all. While picking up the boys seasonal's yesterday I also picked up smith's with a clear lens for cheap $.

mondeo

Still stand by a light yellow tint, in Smith's case, the Sensor lens is awesome. With halfway decent lighting, your eyes can adjust for 70% VLT, the increase in contrast I get with tint is well worth sacrificing a little light.

tarponhead

Still stand by a light yellow tint, in Smith's case, the Sensor lens is awesome. With halfway decent lighting, your eyes can adjust for 70% VLT, the increase in contrast I get with tint is well worth sacrificing a little light.

I wear uber lenses when flats fishing and agree. But for skiing, I'm still a crappy skier so $ better spent elsewhere.

I agree that the sensor lens is awesome, IMO the best all around lens for early to mid season eastern skiing there is...and the best lens on a snow day, flat light, etc. BUT, for night skiing the sensor doesn't work as well for me as clear. I used to buy ~500K worth of goggles and shades from smith, I've got a quiver of goggles that is slightly obscene despite having given dozens away to friends and family...and I've spent almost as much time "testing" lenses as I have testing skis...for me, and in my experience, clear is the best option for night time. But different tints work better for different folks...rose base and brown based lenses have always worked better for me than green or grey based lenses for example.

So, the caveat, as Mondeo brings up the sensor; if you don't already have a smith sensor lens (fuse is a great option and less$$$ than the phenom/prodigy, etc) buy a sensor lens before you buy a clear and you'll have a killer all around lens that will work very well at night too...but if you've already got a smith sensor or can handle buying two lens/frame sets, buy a clear for night time. And for petes sake, take care of your goggles...store them in the bag, only use the bag or lens cleaning cloths to clean them...never use a paper towel or napkin...as long as you're warm, comfortable, and can see well, you can handle any conditions that a day or night on the hill is going to throw at you.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
So, the caveat, as Mondeo brings up the sensor; if you don't already have a smith sensor lens (fuse is a great option and less$$$ than the phenom/prodigy, etc) buy a sensor lens before you buy a clear and you'll have a killer all around lens that will work very well at night too...but if you've already got a smith sensor or can handle buying two lens/frame sets, buy a clear for night time. And for petes sake, take care of your goggles...store them in the bag, only use the bag or lens cleaning cloths to clean them...never use a paper towel or napkin...as long as you're warm, comfortable, and can see well, you can handle any conditions that a day or night on the hill is going to throw at you.
Any differences between the Sensor Mirror vs. Gold Sensor Mirror?

http://www.prolens.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_39&products_id=176

Geoff

I never make it there. Just curious.

I may order a clear lens for my goggles. Then again, I said that last year also.

If I end up at the mighty Blue for an evening when I'm down in Philly at Comcast, I might try some Smith clear lenses. I haven't been night skiing in years. I raced beer league at Gunstock in 2002 and that was the last time I've skied at night.