• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

CO quickie

gmcunni

I'll be in CO for non-skiing activity in April but want to sneak in a day +.

Landing on Friday night around 11 PM.. want to ski 1/2 day Saturday and all day Sunday but don't want to drive all the way to Breck after the flight.

any suggestions on where to stop Friday evening?

was thinking of a hotel/motel off RT 70, perhaps in golden / west denver area, for friday night, getting up and driving to mountains by lunch on Saturday. does that location make sense? suggestions for some place more convenient?

JoeB-Z

For such a trip I like to stay in Georgetown at the Georgetown Mountain Inn and ski at Loveland. Loveland has some incredibly steep skiing on the south? side. If the conditions are right, maximum skiing with minimal driving. One dislike of Loveland is crummy lodge with minimal changing/storage space.

mikestaple

Copper and Breck are "only" an hour and 40 away from Denver International. If you really don't want to go over the divide, then i would just grab a place in the foothills along I70 (Idaho Springs?)

JoeB-Z

I would beware A-Basin because of the additional altitude at the base. That can be tough on short trips.

thetrailboss

Staff member
oops, sorry, didn't explain well. i know where to ski, i'm trying to figure out where to stay over on Friday night. don't want to cross the divide after a long day and flight.

It's been a while for me, but I am pretty sure that there are lots of hotels on the west side as you head out of Denver.

skiNEwhere

When in April? If you're skiing early April you can ski anywhere. Later April and Loveland and A-Basin will be your ONLY options.

It's a sad but true fact that every year many resorts close the 2nd or 3rd week in April even though they're 100% open.

gmcunni

I would beware A-Basin because of the additional altitude at the base. That can be tough on short trips.
yup, suffered this problem before which is why i was thinking breck vs A basin. It will be me and my daughter so not looking for thrills, just some fun skiing.

When in April? If you're skiing early April you can ski anywhere. Later April and Loveland and A-Basin will be your ONLY options.

It's a sad but true fact that every year many resorts close the 2nd or 3rd week in April even though they're 100% open.
April 9 and 10. i'm hoping that is early enough.

SIKSKIER

There is a cheap Super 8 in Georgetown thats probably 1 hour from Denver airport right off I-70.About a 15 minute drive to the tunnel and Loveland..About $80.

amf

I did the same thing with my daughter a few years ago. Stayed in G'towne, skied Loveland and then moved on to Breck. Weekend traffic shouldn't be too bad that time of year, and if it is heading to Breck after Loveland will keep you out of the worst.

jimk

2nd vote for Georgetown Mtn. It's not super great, but not bad and usually under $100 per night and easy ~10 mile drive to Loveland. Another real good option closer to Denver, but well up in the foothills is Comfort Suites Golden West, just off I70 at the exit to Evergreen, CO. It's been a dozen years since I stayed there but reasonable rates, good breakfast bar, and IIRC two outdoor hot tubs behind motel. About 45 mins from Loveland.
s408-k-no

mishka

There is a cheap Super 8 in Georgetown thats probably 1 hour from Denver airport right off I-70.About a 15 minute drive to the tunnel and Loveland..About $80.

I stay in Georgetown's Super 8 Last year... clean, relatively cheap $60, continental breakfast.
I've had similar situation flying into Denver at midnight local, had problem with car rental so by time I get to hotel it was after 3 AM maybe even 4 don't remember exactly..... sleep couple hours meet skiNEwhere on the lift by 9:30 at Copper

snoseek

I would stay down in evergreen as youll sleep better at lower altitude. Georgetown sits really high. Loveland is a no brainer...it shines late season

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

skiNEwhere

thanks for the tips/info. booked comfort suites in evergreen for first night.

Not a bad choice.

I may be able to get you a discounted or even free Loveland ski pass. If I still have A-basin vouchers laying around you can take those since they'll probably go to waste if I still have them come April.

Hit me up if you're interested!

jimmywilson69

I must be an outlier, as I've never had any altitude issues why skiing in Summit County. Both times we've stayed in Silvethorne. The house we rented was at about 9000'.

VTKilarney

Am I the only one who was hoping for something more salacious after reading the thread title?