• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Conway

jerseydaz

This is my first post here so hello!

I live in the UK but will be staying in Conway from this Friday and was wondering what the runs are looking like up there? Will be skiing Wildcat, Attitash, Cranmore, Black Mountain and few others nearby I'm sure. So how is it all looking??

Thanks!

Smellytele

We have had a fair amount of snow over the last few weeks. Wildcat had the most. It is also the best ski area of the ones you mentioned. The views are great as well. Black can be a lot of fun as well. Cranmore is very convenient to downtown North Conway. The weather this week is supposed to be warmer than it has but there is a good base now and you should be fine.

xwhaler

Black is a great classic New England mountain....you may want to try Shawnee Peak over in Fryeburg as well which is only about 25 mins from downtown North Conway.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
It's funny, I went to Cranmore for the first time yesterday and I rode up the lift with some people from Ireland, of course not too far away from where you're from.

Have fun skiing! Any ski area will be pretty good at this point, but you can always check their websites to see what trails are open.

jerseydaz

Thanks for the replies I am really looking forward to it! I have been twice before and absolutely love Black Mt... Always been great snow, really quiet and nice staff

If you hear us 3 Brit guys then come and say hi!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Skied Attitash today. Thought the conditions were pretty darn good. Certain areas were skied off, but lots of it was skiing well. I was really surprised by the amount of terrain that was left ungroomed. I was expecting to find the place flat as a pancake, but there were bumps to be found all over the place and some of them were pretty good.

Attitash receives very little praise on ski message boards, but I really found it to be a great time. I hadn't skied there since the 80s, so this was my first time skiing Bear Peak and I really dug the terrain. Some pretty good pitched stuff on the main mountain as well. The common complaint is how long and slow the Summit Triple is, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. Sure, a HSQ would be better, but it wasn't terrible.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I skied Bear Peak for the first time last year and was pleasantly surprised by that mountain. Some good groomers (which I was expecting) but also some really nice tree shots. Attitash proper has a pair of trails that are among the steepest in NH. The summit triple is damn slow so can't even imagine what you were expecting! It probably wouldn't feel as slow if it didn't cross right over a high speed lift.

As far as conditions, NH is "better than average" for this time of year but not great. If you are coming in next Friday, expect things to be bad. A warm up is expected to happen this week and rain is a distinct possibility for next weekend. It won't be a wash out but if there is a rain/freeze, the skiing won't be good for a while until we get more snow.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was expecting it to be like the Spear Mountain Triple at Ragged. It's not even remotely as slow as something like Spear. It's just a bit long. I can understand people wanting a HSQ, but I was expecting a much more painful ride. Perhaps I'd be singing a different tune on a cold day though. Today was pretty warm and there was hardly any wind.

G-Money

All those you mention are good mountains however Attitash and Wildcat stand out. The former has the best all around snow making and the most consistently good conditions, the later has higher elevation, more natural snow and a good base. Both should stand up well with the warming weather patttern. Weather, as it usually is will be the determining factor on the conditions. I'd go with either of those ski areas later this week, thats my guidance for you, safe travels.

Wally Brown

We skiied Attitash Sunday, Jan 6, conditions we good. Plenty of man-made mixed with some natural snow. As someone else mentioned several trails ungroomed. Not much to ski off Bear Peak (one trail was closed for racers) but that should change.

Kmoc3

Been skiing the Conway area since I was a kid. Cranmore is a really nice mountain, and great for families. Black Mountain is a lot smaller than the others, but generally not as crowded and the lower ticket price is a perk! My fiance was at Attitash last weekend and said the conditions were pretty good.