• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

COVID concerns in the Northeast

tnt1234

This stat is skewed as NH also has the lowest testing numbers per 100,000 population in new England. In fact, about 1/7th the rate of VT which skews NH positive% higher though may not indicate actual reality. Ahh, statistics. Meaningless without figuring the baseline and evaluating accordingly.
I think hospitalizations and deaths is probably a better comparrison - really, either per capita or total - since the two states are similar in size and geography.

drjeff

VT will be the last state to relax any guidelines. Guaranteed.
Agree 100%

Although I doubt that they'll change how they're "enforcing" their guidelines at all between now and whenever Gov Scott formerly removes the restrictions.

They'll likely make some media noise about the colleges as the students come back on campus (based on what a patient of mine who is a UVM student told me last week, UVM is bringing their students back on campus this coming weekend), but unless things DRASTICALLY change with indisputable proof that a major outbreak was tied directly to ski area operations, I strongly suspect that what VT has been doing all ski season will be the same the rest of the ski season

thebigo

The NYT is now tracking excess deaths by state. Adjusted for population and sample size, Maine has preformed best in new england since March 2020, followed by NH and then VT. To be fair the results in the three northern new england states are extraordinarily similar, the differences can likely be attributed to noise.

tnt1234

As much as I enjoy a good dive bar, sitting in one all day during a pandemic doesn't seem like a good idea. Nor does getting back in the car with the guy who just sat in a bar all day. But I guess it will take a few days for the bar sitter to become contagious.

tnt1234

The NYT is now tracking excess deaths by state. Adjusted for population and sample size, Maine has preformed best in new england since March 2020, followed by NH and then VT. To be fair the results in the three northern new england states are extraordinarily similar, the differences can likely be attributed to noise.

Wow - look at that NYC graph....

So it that the best metric to compare? that would suggest no meaningful benefit to VT's strict protocols?

tnt1234

Wow - look at that NYC graph....

So it that the best metric to compare? that would suggest no meaningful benefit to VT's strict protocols?
Something seems off - if NH has about 1,000 total deaths and VT has 172, how could their average death increases be similar?

thebigo

Something seems off - if NH has about 1,000 total deaths and VT has 172, how could their average death increases be similar?
Per NYT: NH has 1000 total excess deaths. VT has 500 total excess deaths.

NH has >2X VT population. VT data is only reported through 12/26, NH is reported through 1/9. There is certainly noise in the data but I doubt the noise is sufficient to change the conclusion.

tumbler

Agree 100%

Although I doubt that they'll change how they're "enforcing" their guidelines at all between now and whenever Gov Scott formerly removes the restrictions.

They'll likely make some media noise about the colleges as the students come back on campus (based on what a patient of mine who is a UVM student told me last week, UVM is bringing their students back on campus this coming weekend), but unless things DRASTICALLY change with indisputable proof that a major outbreak was tied directly to ski area operations, I strongly suspect that what VT has been doing all ski season will be the same the rest of the ski season
There's currently an outbreak of 70+ cases at Norwich University

flakeydog

NH has 2.2x more people so 172 vs 1,000 --math, math, stats, stats, yada yada, carry the 2...-- makes sense to me!

Seems so silly that Vermont has such draconian communist measures in place when they only have 20% of the cases and deaths of our neighbor to the east. It's so unfair that we cant hang out in bars like the NH people. Wait, maybe there is something to be said here... I know, open the bars and let in the masses so we can level the playing field.

thebigo

NH has 2.2x more people so 172 vs 1,000 --math, math, stats, stats, yada yada, carry the 2...-- makes sense to me!

Seems so silly that Vermont has such draconian communist measures in place when they only have 20% of the cases and deaths of our neighbor to the east. It's so unfair that we cant hang out in bars like the NH people. Wait, maybe there is something to be said here... I know, open the bars and let in the masses so we can level the playing field.
You are comparing total reported covid deaths with excess deaths. The definition of apples to oranges.

Approximate total excess deaths in VT per link: 500
Approximate total excess deaths in NH per link: 1000

flakeydog

You are comparing total reported covid deaths with excess deaths. The definition of apples to oranges.

Approximate total excess deaths in VT per link: 500
Approximate total excess deaths in NH per link: 1000
Actually, I was comparing actual deaths to actual deaths, not excess deaths. Just found it interesting that NH has 2X the population and over 5X the cases and deaths that VT has. I was attempting a light-hearted effort to highlight this while many people bitch an moan about VT and their awful (and supposedly ineffective) restrictions.

I think the excess death analysis loses too much accuracy when applied to smaller populations. It means a lot more when looked at in aggregate over a larger population, larger states, regions, the country as a whole.

tnt1234

172x2.2=378.

----oh - I see your point and agree.

thebigo

Actually, I was comparing actual deaths to actual deaths, not excess deaths. Just found it interesting that NH has 2X the population and over 5X the cases and deaths that VT has. I was attempting a light-hearted effort to highlight this while many people bitch an moan about VT and their awful (and supposedly ineffective) restrictions.

I think the excess death analysis loses too much accuracy when applied to smaller populations. It means a lot more when looked at in aggregate over a larger population, larger states, regions, the country as a whole.

The specific number of deaths attributed to covid only matters if you believe the dead person and their family care how their death was recorded.

The data suggests that the likelihood of death for a Vermont resident increased more than the likelihood of death for a Maine or New Hampshire resident since the start of the pandemic.

I got no skin in this game, I have not left NH in nearly a year and have no plans to leave anytime soon. I only posted because the data surprised me and I am open to other data but just discounting excess deaths because it does not suit a narrative is not persuasive.

tumbler

Yeah, Labor Day of 2030
I think this is a legacy thing for Gov Scott, saying that his state had the lowest numbers throughout the pandemic. Even Fauci did a presser with Scott saying that VT is the best. Maybe he has larger aspirations like a Fed position.

1dog

Seems its always about personal career growth, doesn't it? Left or right.

Well, until cases don;'t have monetary attachments, I won't fully trust them. It was $13K per Covid case in hospitals and $39K per ventilator case in Spring. Don't know if that's changed. But you wouldn't want to be Gov Cuomo at this point on track record.

JimG.

Staff member
Seems its always about personal career growth, doesn't it? Left or right.

Well, until cases don;'t have monetary attachments, I won't fully trust them. It was $13K per Covid case in hospitals and $39K per ventilator case in Spring. Don't know if that's changed. But you wouldn't want to be Gov Cuomo at this point on track record.
Will they take Cuomo's Emmy away?

I loved my parents more than anything, but I'm glad they both passed away (from old age) a few years ago.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I think this is a legacy thing for Gov Scott, saying that his state had the lowest numbers throughout the pandemic. Even Fauci did a presser with Scott saying that VT is the best. Maybe he has larger aspirations like a Fed position.

I think that is partially it, partially because he could get away with it given the high Democrat % of VT, partially due to the fact that a good chunk of VT'ers really don't like outsiders/tourists (major can of worms opening alert), and yes, partially because VT hospital infrastructure could not handle a sizable outbreak.

Overall I believe a majority of the state (slim majority) will be happy with his response.

flakeydog

Yeah, that's got to be it. It's all about the numbers and getting a big 'ol pat on the back, right? How narcissistic of him!

I would say all the way back to the days of the Green Mountain Boys, Vermont could give two shits what the rest of the country thinks of us. See "Exhibit A" below
1611860505084.png

Vermont without the rest of the country would just be West Virginia 2 in terms of quality of life, poverty levels, and health outcomes. So, enjoy that, I guess.