• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crazy kicking horse Gondi evac!

skiNEwhere

What is going on this year? I think there's been at least 4 lift evacs in North America so far, this is the wildest though. Scroll ahead to 1:10 where it gets interesting

deadheadskier

Staff member
That falls into the category of the 2% of GoPro video's that are actually cool.

Wonder why they have to use a helicopter there to evacuate? You would think a more inexpensive and less dramatic method could be employed. Terrain under the gondola unskiable at that location?

jimmywilson69

from the comments in the video, there are areas where the gondola is too high to rappel. Kind of hard to believe hey made the towers that high. Seems like a poor design in hindsight. Another comment also mentioned being over terrain that may not be skiable by all that could be riding the gondola.

jimk

That's one way to get to go heli-skiing:razz:
That would scare the crap out of me, but I'd be glad to do it to avoid a freezing night in a gondi. You gotta love the adventurous spirit of most skiers. Those young guys were having a great time with the whole thing.

Newpylong

How do they get their equipment back? Fill out form with resort so that it can be given back to them when the lift moves?

thetrailboss

Staff member
What is going on this year? I think there's been at least 4 lift evacs in North America so far, this is the wildest though. Scroll ahead to 1:10 where it gets interesting

Glad you found the story because I saw it in my FB feed and then went back to post it and it had disappeared.

This is crazy. That video is amazing.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
So they helicoptered them out two at a time? That made for a very slow evac. The one I was involved with at Burke, granted it was a chair and we were near the lodge relatively speaking, was done using the seat on a line thrown over the haul rope.

skiNEwhere

So they helicoptered them out two at a time? That made for a very slow evac. The one I was involved with at Burke, granted it was a chair and we were near the lodge relatively speaking, was done using the seat on a line thrown over the haul rope.

Not everyone was heli evac'ed. Only those too high off the ground for a normal evac.

I wonder why they dropped them off at the top vs the bottom? Too much stuff at the base for the cable to get ensnared in?

SIKSKIER

This got me thinking about the Peak 2 Peak tram at Whistler.I thought they had to clear under the tram for lift evac,which it is but at the highest point I thought it was about a 1/4 mile in the air and wondered what that would be like belaying from there.Maybe this is how they would do it but why the cleared path beneath?