• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crowds-Hunter or Camelback on a Saturday?

skisheep

Going to book an Ovrride trip to Hunter or Camelback on saturday. Hunter is a full day, and camelback is like a 12-8 deal. Which one is going to be less of a mob scene? (I know it's a saturday and they are both going to be crowded, just trying to figure out which one is less so). My gut is leaning towards hunter because of the west side HSQ keeping crowds down there and also people don't venture down there, but also wondering if the evening at camelback might be less crazy there. If I end up at hunter, what are good strategies for avoiding saturday crowds there?(never skied a saturday there thankfully). Same question for Camelback?

Thanks so much for your replies,

-skisheep

SKI-3PO

You'll be able to find uncrowded lifts with good terrain at Hunter if you try.

Scruffy

It's not hard to avoid the lift lines at Hunter, there are only 5 of them running on a weekend, and 3 are within yards of each other at the base. Avoiding the crowds is another matter. :grin:

kingslug

Hunter..simple..stay away from the six pack lift...then all is well..ride the old slow triple then ski over to the F to get to the top..done..When you get bored with that..go westside..done...and now I expect Ninjas to seek me out an kill me for letting the secret strategy out..oy...

emmaurice2

Hunter..simple..stay away from the six pack lift...then all is well..ride the old slow triple then ski over to the F to get to the top..done..When you get bored with that..go westside..done...and now I expect Ninjas to seek me out an kill me for letting the secret strategy out..oy...

I always scratch my head when I see the line for the 6 pack backed up but nearly no line at the triple. Still, I remain silent and keep lapping and let the masses wait.

mriceyman

i guess people just like the speed of the 6 pak.. im not gona wait 20 mins to get on a faster lift.. triple it is for me

Scruffy

You're a marked slug now, when you least expect it, a horse head will drop into your lap while on the chair lift, you've been warned. Best to change your ID and ski only at Mountain Creek from here on out.

skiking4

Alright, you're done.

skisheep

Well unfortunatley something came up and skiing this weekend is not happening :( (everything is fine and everyone is ok), but this is great to know for future weekends! Hopefully can get to hunter next weekend and will report on how the "secret strategy" worked :)

Thanks again

-skisheep

ScottySkis

Well unfortunatley something came up and skiing this weekend is not happening :( (everything is fine and everyone is ok), but this is great to know for future weekends! Hopefully can get to hunter next weekend and will report on how the "secret strategy" worked :)

Thanks again

-skisheep

He is wright that is the way to avoids crowed chairs at Hunter on weekends, but still lots of people to ski trails conditions but you could try another hill a little west of Platty that always is never minutes to wait for chair.

4aprice

Camelback will be busy every weekend till Presidents Week. Come back in March and you will have a wonderful day there. Everything is now open and snowmaking will keep going freshing everything up into March. Bumps are in the works and unless mother nature deals them a bad hand the 2nd half of the season should be solid condition wise.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

skisheep

Platty is great but no bus from the city, and when going alone it's really not cost effective to drive($85 for bus vs $70 for lift tix at hunter), waking up at 5:30 and driving is no fun, plus no apres festivities. Love the place with friends though, and true no crowds!

To get back to the question, even on the busiest days, the new quad is never more than a few minutes. This year has seen 3 days with more than 5,000 paying customers and still no line back there. You ski till you drop. I can barely make it open to close anymore because I am so tired. The 6 pack singles line is still only about 10 - 15 minutes.

vinnyv11

Camelback will be busy every weekend till Presidents Week. Come back in March and you will have a wonderful day there. Everything is now open and snowmaking will keep going freshing everything up into March. Bumps are in the works and unless mother nature deals them a bad hand the 2nd half of the season should be solid condition wise.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Couldn't agree more conditions are prime for a good run at the rest if the season. No thaw refreeze cycles and we'll be great.

Btw Alex when are you hitting cb again? Ill be there sunday.

vinnyv11

To get back to the question, even on the busiest days, the new quad is never more than a few minutes. This year has seen 3 days with more than 5,000 paying customers and still no line back there. You ski till you drop. I can barely make it open to close anymore because I am so tired. The 6 pack singles line is still only about 10 - 15 minutes.

I was there the weekend after Christmas and it was a mob scene at the six pack but the other lifts were manageable.