• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cute little towns near Mt. Snow & Stratton?

New Daddy

For non-skiers or non-skiing days, any cute towns to saunter around? preferably with good cafes and restaurants too.

KustyTheKlown

manchester has outlet shopping, a handful of ok restaurants, and some higher end hotels with spa services. not much that's walkable or inviting on foot tho...

woodstock vt is idyllic and walkable but is quite a ways from mt snow and stratton. ditto for saratoga springs, which is obviously much larger than any little vt town. those would each be an hour+ in opposite directions from the ski areas.

bennington has 2 square blocks of a downtown...

KustyTheKlown

there isn't much of a town there, basically just a post office, but i do like jj hapgoods in peru, if looking for an off mountain lunch a stones throw from stratton...

Newpylong

A post office? Wilmington is packed on weekends, there are tons of people walking around and plenty of businesses and restaurants etc to visit there.

drjeff

Wilmington has a number of quaint little shops and restaurants. If you don't mind traveling maybe 20 minutes up 100 from the Stratton area, there's also the village of Weston which has a VT Country Store and a few other shops and restaurants

KustyTheKlown

A post office? Wilmington is packed on weekends, there are tons of people walking around and plenty of businesses and restaurants etc to visit there.

i was talking about peru. haven't been to Wilmington in 20+ years. never down by 9.

ctdubl07

North of Stratton on way to Okemo is Weston. Its a quick walk around but genuine rockwellesque look/feel.
Its the location of the Vermont Country Store and if your spiritual, the Westin Priory which is world famous.

bigbob

Arlington can't be that much further if you are looking for a rockwellesque look/feel type town.

crank

Chester is cute and little and in between Stratton and Okemo. Ludlow, where Okemo is, is a good sized, cute town with shopping and places to eat, etc... it's about a half hour from Stratton.

jaytrem

Brattleboro has ice skating and is a good size town to walk around. But not as cute as the smaller town I guess. Manchester has Pastime Pinball...

Great collection and games are in excellent condition.

Smellytele

Woodstock is worth the drive, one of the best little towns/village in Vermont.
To me Woodstock is the least Vermont town in Vt. It is fake (not Stratton Fake) and filled with bus loads of tourists and non Vermont people. I drive through there 3 or 4 times a month for work and can't stand it.

KustyTheKlown

woodstock is very rich, and also very touristy, but it is beautiful.

my girlfriend 'took me' (quotes bc she doesnt drive, so i took us, but she planned and paid) to woodstock for my birthday a few years ago. we stayed in the very beautiful and historic woodstock inn. we ate at mangalitsa, which is excellent - they've moved within woodstock since we've gone, and i am sure they are still excellent - https://www.mangalitsavt.com/ , and then i went to killington for the day while she shopped and spa'd. on sunday she sucked it up and hung out at killington while i skied from 8-12. great weekend. would do again. its def a nice classy place to bring your lady.