• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Damage from the thaw

BenedictGomez

Looks like Cannon has dropped all the natural trails. 56 to 32 for tomorrow. Ouch!

Places also have to withstand from lift close today until morning when we finally get down to 32. If the models are to be believed, that will happen from 9am to about 3pm, earlier west (Whiteface etc...) through VT by Noon, and through New Hampshire by around 3pm.

ttgzuuvv0270850.gif

bdfreetuna

Magic got hit they aren't opening tomorrow. I think they are just trying to protect what they have right now.

Places like Berkshire East and Butternut I'm sure got hit hard. Anyone who was relying on the natural snow and wasn't a mountain with tons of regular snowfall is going to have it rough for the next couple weeks... hopefully they work on resurfacing and we get a nice storm in a week or two.

Bene288

Gore went from 91 trails down to 44. I'm sure everyone will be limited this week to preserve what base they have. Here's hoping we get slammed soon.

Scruffy

From MRG's web site

"Our snow pack took a major hit and we have been forced to shut down much of our legendary terrain. "

They may not open Monday :sadwalk:

Smellytele

Jay still says they have 69 trails open and 9 lifts today. Yesterday the trails on the north side by JFK were an unskiable mess with no one on them. They also closed the tram and the Bonnie before noon for lack of use. Hiking up to the new chair at state side sucks. I guess I could have went over to the Jet but i hate the traverse to get over to Tram side. Why did they put it up so high? Is it to accommodate the new lodge over there?

gregnye

Jay still says they have 69 trails open and 9 lifts today. Yesterday the trails on the north side by JFK were an unskiable mess with no one on them. They also closed the tram and the Bonnie before noon for lack of use. Hiking up to the new chair at state side sucks. I guess I could have went over to the Jet but i hate the traverse to get over to Tram side. Why did they put it up so high? Is it to accommodate the new lodge over there?

I thought the bonnie and tram were shut down because of wind--my bad

SIKSKIER

From MRG's web site

"Our snow pack took a major hit and we have been forced to shut down much of our legendary terrain. "

They may not open Monday :sadwalk:
Sounds like they are closed until more snow falls.Cannon looks like crap.The Zommer side looks like mid April and even the webcam at the summit shows big bare spots on the manmade.Ouch.

Edd

The Loaf tweeted an hour ago 50 degrees at the base and wind holds are happening today. Temps to drop in a matter of hours.

fbrissette

I thought the bonnie and tram were shut down because of wind--my bad

They were indeed on wind hold. I am very surprised with the trail count of 69 at Jay this morning. This will be rock ski paradise. Personally, I much prefer that they keep ski runs open, but they will be running out of 'bare spots' signs for sure.

Puck it

Sounds like they are closed until more snow falls.Cannon looks like crap.The Zommer side looks like mid April and even the webcam at the summit shows big bare spots on the manmade.Ouch.

I just saw the bare spots on the cam. Does it really look that bad?

SKIQUATTRO

was at K for a race on Sunday, still decent coverage with some brown starting to show thru in spots....odd to see a dude in shorts/tshirt skiing in Jan.....

Smellytele

They were indeed on wind hold. I am very surprised with the trail count of 69 at Jay this morning. This will be rock ski paradise. Personally, I much prefer that they keep ski runs open, but they will be running out of 'bare spots' signs for sure.

It may have been wind holds but with such as small crowd they were looking for reasons to shut things down. Not that I can blame them - the Tram at Jay does not feed anything another lift does not and it can not be cheap to run. The Vermonter was in sad shape and I didn't ski Northway back to the Freezer area.

fbrissette

It may have been wind holds but with such as small crowd they were looking for reasons to shut things down. Not that I can blame them - the Tram at Jay does not feed anything another lift does not and it can not be cheap to run. The Vermonter was in sad shape and I didn't ski Northway back to the Freezer area.

You may be right but the official word was 'wind hold'. Valhalla and Green Beret (through the alternate entrance) were still good so there was still a legit reason to go up the tram. But with the freezer running, you had access to all other trails and, as noted, no lift lines.

First time I've seen the freezer running with the Bonnie on wind hold.

Smellytele

You may be right but the official word was 'wind hold'. Valhalla and Green Beret (through the alternate entrance) were still good so there was still a legit reason to go up the tram. But with the freezer running, you had access to all other trails and, as noted, no lift lines.

First time I've seen the freezer running with the Bonnie on wind hold.

I though I saw on Sunday both entrances to GB closed.

Cannonball

I just saw the bare spots on the cam. Does it really look that bad?

Yup, it's that bad. The skiing at Cannon Sat&Sun was absolutely terrific April-like conditions But they lost a lot!! Major inversion on Sunday. All of the summits were above clouds with bright sun, ~50degrees, and warm wind. Terrain that had seen the most snowmaking (Skylight, Gary's, Paulie's, etc) still had 90% coverage. But huge bare spots were showing up on more heavily traffic'd trails. Natural snow trails (Zoomer, Vista, Taft, etc) are pretty much toast.

Puck it

Yup, it's that bad. The skiing at Cannon Sat&Sun was absolutely terrific April-like conditions But they lost a lot!! Major inversion on Sunday. All of the summits were above clouds with bright sun, ~50degrees, and warm wind. Terrain that had seen the most snowmaking (Skylight, Gary's, Paulie's, etc) still had 90% coverage. But huge bare spots were showing up on more heavily traffic'd trails. Natural snow trails (Zoomer, Vista, Taft, etc) are pretty much toast.

thanks for the update. Looks like another weekend coming with no skiing unless I ski Kton.

Cheese

I'm hoping the early storms let most areas preserve a good portion of their annual snow making budget. Once the temps get down the guns should fire back up again generating New England powder.:fangun: