• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death of Manual Transmission ETA????

ctenidae

I wasn't thinking of anyone else as I was throwing the rex around a smooth uphill corner heel-toeing it 3 - 2 at around 6k.

Man is that fun. There's nothing like the feel of a perfect rev match.

I'm with you, there. That combo on the 90 degree flat right hand off the island I live on is just too much fun. Of course, I rev a bit lower, more like 5K, but I do love the sound as the V6 bounces in the 5-6 range.

And then I realize I forgot to turn off the nanny drive, and the back end stops sliding about 20 degrees short of where I wanted it to go.

campgottagopee

Test drove a CPO one last summer...nice small SUV, definitely a step up from a RAV4 or CRV. Main thing I remember was that the turbo sound was pretty noticeable.

Yup---CRV on roids---VERY small tho, but fun for a few days.

WJenness

I enjoyed several nice 6 -> 4 down shifts this morning coming in to highway ramps...

Had to chuckle as the fool behind me in the Jeep Grand Cherokee tried to hold my bumper and then when the flat (almost no camber) entrance ramp got tight, he just disappeared from my mirror.

-w

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I enjoyed several nice 6 -> 4 down shifts this morning coming in to highway ramps...

Had to chuckle as the fool behind me in the Jeep Grand Cherokee tried to hold my bumper and then when the flat (almost no camber) entrance ramp got tight, he just disappeared from my mirror.

-w

I love entrance ramps. They're tricky to get right since they're usually diminshing radius, sometimes slightly off camber. It takes a lot of practice to get the apex, usually only possible on one you know well.

WJenness

I love entrance ramps. They're tricky to get right since they're usually diminshing radius, sometimes slightly off camber. It takes a lot of practice to get the apex, usually only possible on one you know well.

Agreed... The first (at least) two or three trips through entrance ramps for me are always recon missions... After that, it becomes a challenge to see how 'correctly' I can drive them.

I get sad when there's a car in front of me... Even more so when it's one that has much more potential than what the driver actually does with it. See: M3 puttering around a fairly wide open entrance ramp at 25 yesterday morning (Posted advisory speed of 45).

-w

ctenidae

Exit ramps are fun that way, too, depending on where they are.

campgottagopee

Agreed... The first (at least) two or three trips through entrance ramps for me are always recon missions... After that, it becomes a challenge to see how 'correctly' I can drive them.

I get sad when there's a car in front of me... Even more so when it's one that has much more potential than what the driver actually does with it. See: M3 puttering around a fairly wide open entrance ramp at 25 yesterday morning (Posted advisory speed of 45).

-w

You two need to come to Subie meetings w/me---STI, proffesional drives and a race track = WAY fun.

bvibert

Staff member

-w

Exit ramps are fun that way, too, depending on where they are.

Love entrance and exit ramps, when they're empty. Nothing irritates me more than an idiot who putz's up an entrance ramp and doesn't start accelerating until they're actually on the highway, same for those who start to slow down before they've made it onto the exit ramp. :smash:

WJenness

Entrance and exit ramps are fun and all...

But very little highway driving that I've done compares to The Merritt Parkway at night...

Kanc is a lot of fun too, but there are ALWAYS people in front of you.

-w

ctenidae

But very little highway driving that I've done compares to The Merritt Parkway at night...

-w

The Merritt late at night is fantastic. Though, some of the ramps are absolutely brutal. The exit for Route 7 (forget the number) is terrible, a rapidly decreasiing radius with gravel and a very short straight at the end to a stop sign. Fun, though.

Geoff

Love entrance and exit ramps, when they're empty. Nothing irritates me more than an idiot who putz's up an entrance ramp and doesn't start accelerating until they're actually on the highway, same for those who start to slow down before they've made it onto the exit ramp. :smash:

I respect my brake pads. I usually disable the cruise control before the extra lane on the right for the off ramp starts. I'm at the speed limit when I change lanes to the off-ramp and engine brake from there. I'll often have some tool in a massive full size SUV or pickup on my bumper. What kind of car do you drive?

Unless I'm in the SUV towing my boat where it just ain't possible, I'm at highway speed on the on ramp. You should try towing 30 feet of boat and trailer in the right lane some time. That YIELD sign seems to mean "Change lanes at whatever speed you want without looking in your mirror". I once had somebody hit my trailer when they braked and pulled out behind me only to discover there was a boat occupying that space. No damage to the trailer but the fender laid a wonderful scratch down the side of the moron's car.

o3jeff

-w

You need to try the Sawmill Parkway between NYC and 684 in Brewster, NY. Narrower lanes and a lot more turns, just watch out there a a couple traffic light in the middle.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

-w

Funny, I bought my S4 in NJ and came back on the Merritt at night. That was the last time I was down there but was it ever a memorable drive.

bvibert

Staff member
I respect my brake pads. I usually disable the cruise control before the extra lane on the right for the off ramp starts. I'm at the speed limit when I change lanes to the off-ramp and engine brake from there. I'll often have some tool in a massive full size SUV or pickup on my bumper. What kind of car do you drive?

Unless I'm in the SUV towing my boat where it just ain't possible, I'm at highway speed on the on ramp. You should try towing 30 feet of boat and trailer in the right lane some time. That YIELD sign seems to mean "Change lanes at whatever speed you want without looking in your mirror". I once had somebody hit my trailer when they braked and pulled out behind me only to discover there was a boat occupying that space. No damage to the trailer but the fender laid a wonderful scratch down the side of the moron's car.

I drive neither. Going the speed limit while pulling onto the off ramp is fine, I'm talking about the people who slow down to below the speed limit while still in the right travel lane (or left lane if it's a left exit, I hate left exits!). Trucks or vehicles with something in tow that can't possibly get up to speed on the on-ramp are excused from my rant. ;)

Geoff

I drive neither. Going the speed limit while pulling onto the off ramp is fine, I'm talking about the people who slow down to below the speed limit while still in the right travel lane (or left lane if it's a left exit, I hate left exits!). Trucks or vehicles with something in tow that can't possibly get up to speed on the on-ramp are excused from my rant. ;)

Yeah, well... In a universe where people routinely go speed limit + 20 in the right lane (the eastern half of Massholia, for instance), getting off the throttle to drift down to the speed limit occasionally produces some anxious moments when you're driving a 3,000 pound econobox. You look in the mirror and see nothing but grill. I'm often tempted to launch a beer bottle in self defense.

When I started towing a boat around, I became a lot more polite around truckers. I had no appreciation for the challenges they face with a long rig and lousy acceleration and braking.