• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death of Manual Transmission ETA????

bvibert

Staff member
Yeah, well... In a universe where people routinely go speed limit + 20 in the right lane (the eastern half of Massholia, for instance), getting off the throttle to drift down to the speed limit occasionally produces some anxious moments when you're driving a 3,000 pound econobox. You look in the mirror and see nothing but grill. I'm often tempted to launch a beer bottle in self defense.

When I started towing a boat around, I became a lot more polite around truckers. I had no appreciation for the challenges they face with a long rig and lousy acceleration and braking.

I wish people went 20 over the limit in the right lane around here, half the time they're barely hitting the speed limit in the left lane...

AdironRider

For some reason I have a hard time using my brakes. I like to let the engine do the work. If Im coasting in the right lane you can kindly piss off. Whats the rush to wait at the stop sign or yield.

I drive a truck now. Its got some real get up and go (just got my new engine tune done from Japan - Nissan Frontier with the 4.0 v6 and the 6 speed stick, Im laying down a cool 340 hp/340 torque these days). But its not stopping or turning any direction quickly. Besides, I live pretty much in an Ansel Adams photograph with no highways, nobody is going anywhere quickly. Most of you guys back east would get some serious roadrage driving around with most of the people out here. I know I hated it at first, now Im turning into one of them. Everytime I go home the natural instinct comes back.

deadheadskier

Staff member
http://moneyland.time.com/2012/08/02/last-gasp-for-the-stick-shift/?iid=pf-main-lede&hpt=hp_t3

Hope my new Mazda3 ain't the last stick I buy

crazy to me that 95+% of people prefer automatics. I wonder if at least some percentage of that is people buying models that don't offer manual transmissions yet they would choose the stick over the auto if it were available. Case in point would be my recent purchase. If Mazda offered a stick in the AWD model of the CX-5, that would've been the car I purchased.

wa-loaf

http://moneyland.time.com/2012/08/02/last-gasp-for-the-stick-shift/?iid=pf-main-lede&hpt=hp_t3

Hope my new Mazda3 ain't the last stick I buy

crazy to me that 95+% of people prefer automatics. I wonder if at least some percentage of that is people buying models that don't offer manual transmissions yet they would choose the stick over the auto if it were available. Case in point would be my recent purchase. If Mazda offered a stick in the AWD model of the CX-5, that would've been the car I purchased.

The Outback is pretty much the only SUVish vehicle that you can still get a stick shift in. I want to replace mine in the next year or so and was starting to consider an auto since there are so many more options. Had an accident a couple months ago and had to drive a rental (Nissan Sentra, what POS!) for about a month. It was partly the car itself, but driving the auto around sucked. Next car will probably be an outback again unless they stop offering manuals too.

ctenidae

If Mazda offered a stick in the AWD model of the CX-5, that would've been the car I purchased.

The choice of my current car was very largely driven by the availability of a 6 speed. Even then, I had to special order it, since there were only 4 slated to be built as manuals for the US market. Near as I can tell, there are maybe a dozen in the country. Probably less.

There are so many traffic snarls that are pretty clearly exacerbated by automatic transmission. Or, more precisely, the driving habits that automatics can reinforce.

bvibert

Staff member
I wonder if at least some percentage of that is people buying models that don't offer manual transmissions yet they would choose the stick over the auto if it were available.

I bet that's true for a significant percentage of the automatic sales.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The Outback is pretty much the only SUVish vehicle that you can still get a stick shift in. I want to replace mine in the next year or so and was starting to consider an auto since there are so many more options. Had an accident a couple months ago and had to drive a rental (Nissan Sentra, what POS!) for about a month. It was partly the car itself, but driving the auto around sucked. Next car will probably be an outback again unless they stop offering manuals too.

I wonder what the sales split for Subaru is between Automatic and Stick. Same goes for VW. It seems like both brands still see meaningful sales in offering MT in many of their models.

You can get a stick in the CX-5, but only in the FWD version of the car. Quite frankly, I don't really see the point in offering FWD in an SUV or Crossover; I guess the soccer moms are to blame. Most of the reviews I've read on the CX5 all say the same thing. "Come on Mazda, grow a pair and offer the AWD with a stick. People would want them." Rumor has it that they'll be releasing the diesel version of the CX5 in the US next year. Hopefully Mazda is listening to people bitching and they offer a Diesel with AWD and MT. That would be a great ride. I've sent them an email already knowing my wife's car is due for replacement in a couple of years. :lol:

You're right though in that the Forester and Outback seem to be the only SUVish type rides out there left where you can get a stick. I believe you can in an FJ Cruiser and you obviously can in a Wrangler, but I couldn't responsibly afford the mpg hit on either of those vehicles.

snowmonster

I have a Jeep Patriot and that has a manual transmission. The other car we have is a Mini Clubman. Manual, of course. I feel that you're not really driving unless you've got a stick shift.

I hear that they're no longer teaching how to drive a stick in drivers' ed. If so, that will really be the end of manual transmission. About a month ago, I had to valet my car. The young man taking the car took a look at the stick shift and said he could not drive that. How can you be a valet and not know how to drive stick?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I took drivers ed 21 years ago and they didn't require you learn to drive stick then. At least that was the case in Vermont.

wa-loaf

I have a Jeep Patriot and that has a manual transmission. The other car we have is a Mini Clubman. Manual, of course. I feel that you're not really driving unless you've got a stick shift.

I hear that they're no longer teaching how to drive a stick in drivers' ed. If so, that will really be the end of manual transmission. About a month ago, I had to valet my car. The young man taking the car took a look at the stick shift and said he could not drive that. How can you be a valet and not know how to drive stick?

Yeah, learning to drive a stick was never a requirement in drivers ed.

hammer

I took drivers ed 21 years ago and they didn't require you learn to drive stick then. At least that was the case in Vermont.
When I got my license in NJ 31 years ago (that was hard to type) my own car was a stick but I tested in my parents' automatic. Don't remember any requirements to be able to drive a stick then.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Rumor has it that they'll be releasing the diesel version of the CX5 in the US next year. Hopefully Mazda is listening to people bitching and they offer a Diesel with AWD and MT. That would be a great ride. I've sent them an email already knowing my wife's car is due for replacement in a couple of years. :lol:
Where do you see this rumor? Interestingly enough, I also have a partner due up for a new car soon and she happens to like bigger cars. :lol: I was looking at a new CX5 AWD in the parking lot yesterday thinking it would be a really awesome total package for her if it was diesel. Otherwise, gas mileage isn't terribly great (pretty reasonable for a crossover but not great in general as a gaser).

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I love my 6 spd MT. Got it in March. It had been about 9 years since my daily drive was a MT. I drive so much that even with 20K/yr on this new lease, I had to keep my last car and have been driving that as well to split up the duty.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I also only drive stick with the exception of our new SUV which is auto. My Saab is a six gear stick and I love it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

darent

Totally sucks. Seems like there might be a market soon taking european manuals and converting them for the us market.

Side note: My wife insisted on driving a manual. One of the reasons I fell for her in the first place. No one I've dated so far can even drive a stick. Still looking for a hot, skiing, stick shift driver ...
I am available, I can shift with the best of them!!

wa-loaf

I am available, I can shift with the best of them!!

Well, my new gf has a VW TDi sport wagon with a six speed so I'm good. But thanks for the offer ... :p

I think the new subie outbacks aren't available in sticks

2.5i and 2.5i Premium come with a 6 speed or a CVT. The limited and all the H6's are CVT or 5 Speed Auto.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Where do you see this rumor? Interestingly enough, I also have a partner due up for a new car soon and she happens to like bigger cars. :lol: I was looking at a new CX5 AWD in the parking lot yesterday thinking it would be a really awesome total package for her if it was diesel. Otherwise, gas mileage isn't terribly great (pretty reasonable for a crossover but not great in general as a gaser).

Just google Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv Diesel and you'll find a ton of "insider" auto blog sites discussing what they are "hearing." As I said, it is just internet rumors at this point. The primary rumors I've read frequently (not that that means they are more likely)

2014 MY CX-5 arrives early 2013 with a Diesel
2014 MY CX-5 not getting a Diesel, but will have a 2.5L gas option as current 2.0 is under powered. Instead the first Mazda Diesel in the US will be 2014 MY Mazda6 later in the year

Keep in mind a CX-5 Diesel is already being made and is available in Europe and Japan. Not only is the diesel being made (and I know you don't drive / care as much about sticks as some of us left footers ;) ) but you can get a 2.2L Diesel CX-5 in Britain with AWD and a stick today. You can go to Mazda's UK website and configure it. http://www.mazda.co.uk/car-configurator/#/configurator/cx5/ They advertise 52"mpg" combined, but I have to assume they mean kilometers not miles, which would mean 32mpg combined in the US. Certainly not TDI numbers, but it is AWD, which would be substantially the best combined MPG for an AWD vehicle that size in the US right now. You hear of some AWD cars and small SUV's getting 31-34 MPG highway, but certainly not combined mileage.

I think Mazda will push this vehicle hard in the US in the coming year. It's blown away all sales projections internationally so far. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...s-to-be-a-global-success-story-153618015.html

I think a competitively priced CX5 AWD Diesel with an Automatic Trans could seriously challenge the CRV and RAV4 for market share in the soccer mom segment - huge volume.

I think a competitively priced CX5 AWD Diesel with a Manual Trans could seriously challenge Outback/Forester/VWTDI in that "niche MT fan" market too. Much lower volume, but one can hope we get the fun version here in the US in addition to GB and Japan.