• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Diesel and the ski industry this Winter...

MidnightJester

Well in defense of ugly comments I stand with free speech. Most hate speech is free speech. Like twitter ugly comments should be free to fly. Most but not all ugly comments reflect a person more then express themselves of feelings.

That being said wishing Ill will or Death is not a good thing if its based solely on not liking a persons beliefs or comments.

Last edited:

thebigo

This may be the first year I don't complain about the oil furnace going down and the subsequent shift to 100% wood heat. Mornings can be quite cold, and its alot of work but 15 cord in the yard is peace of mind.
Our winter seasonal rental is a log cabin on top of a mountain in the NH lakes region. That house could easily burn 100+ gallons per week if heating with oil.

Struggled for a while with the cold mornings and even worse cold afternoons after a full day on the hill. Got in a routine that keeps the stove hot all weekend. Always start a cold stove with a torch on the smalls, matches and lighters are for boy scouts. Once the stove is warm, get it absolutely roaring with the hardest heaviest splits in the pile. Crank damper back to <20% when asleep or on the hill, nearly starve the fire. Leave the birch smalls next to the stove while gone. Majority of the time coals are hot enough to relight the warm birch smalls without kindling.

Have heard of people using wet cold splits before bed to push burn time but never tried it.

Have a wood lot at home, burn a mountain of wood in the pit every summer just to keep up. Would like to build a solar kiln but hauling buckets of wood from house to rental got old fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: zyk

Los

lol. There’s no if here. I want you to be dead. Full stop. You’re irredeemable and when people like you become extinct the rest of us can get on with it
By the way Granite1, I’m sure you don’t give a rat’s ass what this demented prick says, nor should you. But nevertheless, it’s worth pointing out that judging from the amount of time that he spends on this forum, the rather personal and extremely boring things that he talks about (detailed itineraries of his skiing trips, debating out loud where he’s going to spend the night, etc etc), and his utter immaturity, this poor soul clearly and obviously has no friends and no family, and to be as charitable as I can - is mentally unstable (although truthfully, I think he’s evil). I’ll take his word that he’s a good skier - but otherwise, he is a complete loser through and through.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Natural Gas is bad right now as they blame it on constrictions of liquified gas from the Russia-Ukraine conflict. We have propane at our primary residence, and knock on wood, prices have been pretty stable the last 2 years. #2 is gonna suck, especially since we are upgrading the ski crib from on hill condo with electric heat (but mid level, so the heat sandwich worked wonders 😝) to a full home that burns #2 with no alternate heat currently. Oh well.....
Pellet stoves are awesome, just don't buy a box store cheap one.

EPB

KTK is a big reason why I rarely post here anymore. I've been getting excited about the season being around the corner and have been checking in the last couple of weeks. It's sad to see the state of affairs in here.

He's far from the only one, but KTK is a major contributor to the toxic vibe at AZ. I don't blame him for being annoyed by this thread and the other energy related one. It probably feels to 30% of the board like they're getting poked in the eye with topics like this. That said, he's consistently shown a lack of control over his emotions, and his comments skew shockingly in the direction of ad hominem vs. substance for someone who is trained in argumentation. This is also not his first exceedingly vile post in here. He threatened to beat up a kid for wanting to go skiing with his dad in the days leading up to the lockdowns in Mar'2020. Obviously, an empty threat, but something that shouldn't get to the point where it's ever typed up and then sent out.

He's also conspicuously devoid of remorse. It's consistent with the feeling I get that he's incapable of playing nice with others and best avoided altogether.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

If there is any doubt how evil this guy is : KustyTheKlown's most vitriolic posts from the Pandemic:

> people with legitimate medical reasons to not get vaccinated are a sliver of the unvaccinated. for the most part, they're just anti-science right wing shitheads who should get fucked with a rusty metal dildo. or left wing burning man hippie assholes who also should get the rusty dildo

> no, its not. fuck the unvaccinated. they're the selfish ones. holding back our entire society from getting back to some semblance of normal. "patriots" who have no sense of community whatsoever. fucking assholes. they can all drop dead of covid for all I care.
> that's an absurd position. public schools have required vaccinations for decades. these assholes shouldn't be accommodated, they should be exterminated.

> thats rich. some asshole trumpeting anti-vax bullshit calling the people who give a fuck about getting society back to some semblance of normal 'self-absorbed' fuck you. seriously. fuck you in the eye ball with a rusty screwdriver.

> A step further - the anti vax crowd should be rounded up and sent to camps where they can be concentrated away from the rest of us. fuck these swine.

Newpylong

Natural Gas is bad right now as they blame it on constrictions of liquified gas from the Russia-Ukraine conflict. We have propane at our primary residence, and knock on wood, prices have been pretty stable the last 2 years. #2 is gonna suck, especially since we are upgrading the ski crib from on hill condo with electric heat (but mid level, so the heat sandwich worked wonders 😝) to a full home that burns #2 with no alternate heat currently. Oh well.....

1800 gallons of LPG for me at $2.34/gallon this year which is a commercial rate. $2.01 last year. $1.45 the year before and $1.41 the year before.

Not exactly stable but I guess far better than #2.

Have heat pumps to help offset, though electric isn't exactly cheap right now.

Newpylong

Well in defense of ugly comments I stand with free speech. Most hate speech is free speech. Like twitter ugly comments should be free to fly. Most but not all ugly comments reflect a person more then express themselves of feelings.

That being said wishing Ill will or Death is not a good thing if its based solely on not liking a persons beliefs or comments.

You do realize a lot of hate speech is wishing ill will or death on someone for their believes, looks etc right? Can't have it both ways.

djd66

He threatened to beat up a kid for wanting to go skiing with his dad in the days leading up to the lockdowns in Mar'2020. Obviously, an empty threat, but something that shouldn't get to the point where it's ever typed up and then sent out.

He's also conspicuously devoid of remorse. It's consistent with the feeling I get that he's incapable of playing nice with others and best avoided altogether.
I remember that, - Slidebrook was the kid - I think he was 15 years old at the time. KTK went after him like he was an adult doing awful things.

Some people come off as very crazy on the internet, he's one of them.

eatskisleep

Thats just KTK's way of saying he loves us . . . . wouldn't be the same without him.

We have 25 day supply left - Newsweek - hardly a Brietbart-type outlet- says 25 days. It is the lowest since 1950, not 2008.

CNBC- does its best to separate itself from the worst alphabet network of all ( its parent too) calls it: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/30/die...orm-as-prices-surge-and-supplies-dwindle.html
WSJ has been talking about diesel shortages Also… but hey they are just tin foil hat wearing old racist white men apparently.

JimG.

Staff member
KTK-get a grip!

I've been on this forum since 2004 and this is some of the worst venom I've seen. I don't want to read this crap. Wishing death on others is offensive.
Stop it.

Sorry I signed on here today.

machski

WSJ has been talking about diesel shortages Also… but hey they are just tin foil hat wearing old racist white men apparently.
Yeah and I cannot believe how little attention the folks in DC are paying attention to this. The longer diesel stays high, the longer inflation will not be cooling off. Diesel moves the entire economy!! And I'm not saying they should slap bandaids on this, do the tough work. Figure out what the hang ups are in the industry to produce diesel (which happens to be #2 heating oil as well just dyed differently for taxation) and/or get it to market. It is nearly $2/gal more than Unleaded right now and it is a less refined fuel. Something isn't right but they just worry about unleaded cost.