• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do snowboarders wreck moguls?

4aprice

Now that I can ski bumps with some semblance of skill, it is a bit annoying waiting for the carnage to clear, but it is what it is. .

That's my biggest gripe. Sometimes you can stand at the top for up to 10 minutes waiting. Boarders don't bother me so much except when they cross into the line I'm in as I come down on top of them. That could easily go for skiers too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

wa-loaf

Dead serious. You can't tell me that there is any shortage of brutally groomed trails at most mountains.

You need to send whoever seeds the moguls at sundown up to wawa to give them some lessons. The "moguls" last Sunday were more like 6ft wide ridges double spaced.:smash:

Greg

Staff member
You need to send whoever seeds the moguls at sundown up to wawa to give them some lessons. The "moguls" last Sunday were more like 6ft wide ridges double spaced.:smash:

The great thing about Sundown bumps is despite being seeded, they ski much like natural bumps once they're skied in. Basically they just plop small piles in a semi-regular pattern and the skiers do a lot of the work. Since the initial "seeds" are like piles of concrete, they don't get easily pushed around, even by the knuckle draggers. :razz:

campgottagopee

Dead serious. You can't tell me that there is any shortage of brutally groomed trails at most mountains.

Not disputing that at all, in fact agree. Just thought mogul skiers were tough enough to not whine about it :grin:

Greg

Staff member
Not disputing that at all, in fact agree. Just thought mogul skiers were tough enough to not whine about it :grin:

Ha! You're kinda right. I guess I like being a bit of a misfit.

BigJay

The great thing about Sundown bumps is despite being seeded, they ski much like natural bumps once they're skied in. Basically they just plop small piles in a semi-regular pattern and the skiers do a lot of the work. Since the initial "seeds" are like piles of concrete, they don't get easily pushed around, even by the knuckle draggers. :razz:

But is this weird then the new breed of skiing hereos that just slash through pow by skidding their way-to-fat skis make a yard sale out of every turns...

The new breed of "freeskiers" are truely pathetic... No technique and no talent... Just slashing pow like superhereos... and throwing their hips all over the place with their poles just dragging behind!

jack97

Yep, past 2-3 seasons they have been spacing them that way. So after pondering about it, why choose it (or as sled would say wa-chus-itt). This season I decline on a season pass.

Having said that, my suspicion is that the bump spacing is set to ski a non narrow line, read non zipperline. On a spring day, the formation is wide enough to ski from top to top. They have a couple of ski school instructors that can do that, after a week or so those bumps are trashed.

Last edited:

campgottagopee

Ha! You're kinda right. I guess I like being a bit of a misfit.

Seriously I know how you feel. At GP they sent out a survey asking what new improvements we'd like to see. i could give a rats rear end about lifys all I want is some new gladed/steep terrain. It's tough when what you like to ski isn't always readily available.

Greg

Staff member
But is this weird then the new breed of skiing hereos that just slash through pow by skidding their way-to-fat skis make a yard sale out of every turns...

The new breed of "freeskiers" are truely pathetic... No technique and no talent... Just slashing pow like superhereos... and throwing their hips all over the place with their poles just dragging behind!

You lost me at "weird"....

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Being a skier that learned to ski following snowboarders, I like what they do to bumps. J is a great example. The "bumped up woods" are more of a series of bermed turns then bumps. If I have to, I'd rather ride that, they are wicked fun to tele in.

4aprice

The great thing about Sundown bumps is despite being seeded, they ski much like natural bumps once they're skied in. Basically they just plop small piles in a semi-regular pattern and the skiers do a lot of the work.

Camelback seeds the bumps two different ways. On Lower Cleo they do just as Greg says Sundown does. On Asp (or Rocket which ever they choose) they place little brushes in newly made snow and have traffic form the moguls. I don't know which is better as they all ski well the more traffic they get. Then the thing I'm loving this year is they blow snow on top of them periodically. Makes them really fun.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Warp Daddy

i luv wrecking bumps with my board :)

Been to Sundown ???

seriously GREG i have absolutely no issue with bump trails at all -- it great to have a little something for everybody and i do wish that at my age i could still handle them with style but sadly @65 you have to prioritize based physical limitations . Altho in spring i've noodled around in some softer bumps

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.

You sound like the old timers talking about knuckle draggers back in the day.
At the vermont mountains i've been to i notice most (most of them- not all) snowboarders ride the flat side of the trail and stay away from the bumps. They will get to the bottom and say "what took you?" My reply is always the same "I didn't take the easy snowboarder way down." :razz:

BigJay

You sound like the old timers talking about knuckle draggers back in the day.

That's exactly what i was going for! It's always to same story repeating over and over... there is always some users who are not doing things the way you like them... But then again, we don't have mogul fields much here... There shaped by a majority of teles and boards!

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
Was at jay two weeks ago for the first time. Loved it, nothing but bumped up tree skiing. Didn't care for the tram though. My friend who came with us rides and he says that Jaypeak=traverse. Of course it was our first time so we got lost a couple times and had to skate our way around a bit to get where we wanted to go. but our poor boarder had to do it the hardway.

gmcunni

snowboards wreck EVERYTHING. mrg + alta RULE!
1946_headbanging.gif

:p