• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does May Skiing Make Sense?

Would you ski in May if you had the option?

• Total voters

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, we kind of got off track in this thread regarding skiing in May. This weekend only Sugarloaf, Jay, Sugarbush, and Killington are open. The argument is that there is not enough demand for other places to open.

We've had some other threads in the past, but figured I'd give this a spin.

Now Killington used to have the longest season in the East, and it was for marketing purposes, because SKI was in the "ski" business and when the lifts were turning they made revenue, and because by extending the season you created a sense of confidence for those who booked holiday vacations that yes, Killington "would have snow." IIRC extending the season also meant that the prime season was extended as well.

But in an era of real estate development with skiing as a secondary business, we don't see May skiing anymore.

Would you ski in May if you could? Why or why not? Thoughts?

Last edited:
If it was a little closer to home...and more open terrain...I spend mad $$$$ this past season so now I'm paying off my credit cards..my choice for May turns would be A-Basin or Snowbird

kcyanks1

I voted Yes, I'd pay to ski in May (and have 4 times across 4 different seasons). But I do agree with the view in the other thread that there isn't much demand for it. I know I and others here are not the typical skier in this regard.

gmcunni

"No. I have other commitments that prevent me from a late season. "

commitments is too harsh a word. i have other interests that kick in after spring hits. i also have kids who have outdoor stuff going on. None of these prevent me but rather make scheduling tough as i give the other activites a higher priority.

i'd love to ski in May (my old goal was to ski in April which I hadn't done until last weekend) and I'd pay for it and drive long distance to get there, but it needs to fit just right with my other activities.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would ski Superstar Bumps at least a couple of days every May if it was available for $30 or less. Same could be said for Wildcat.

I'm not paying for a hotel room for spring skiing, so it would have to be daytripable. Sugarbush is a touch farther than I like to do for a day trip

gmcunni

secondary question, Does May skiing make CENTS? it can't be profitable, they must be doing for bragging rights, which in the long run has value.

It's funny but being able to ski in April every season in the east..sometimes even here in PA is pretty darn good in my humble opinion..Sugarloaf was open in June in 1997 because it was such a cool spring and people skied down the sherburne the entire way after Memorial Day weekend that season thanks in large part to several feet of May snowfall..who knows..maybe May will be mad cold this year..

mondeo

If it were my home mountain, I'd probably be there every weekend the weather cooperated in May. If it wasn't, it would depend on how far and how much it cost, but I'd probably ski the last day of lift served, at least.

But in an era of real estate development with skiing as a secondary business, we don't see May skiing anymore.
The real estate development should just add to the profit, not reduce what was already being made. Furthermore, longer seasons would add to the real estate part of the equation as it would make buying property at that particular ski resort more valuable. Ask Geoff about that one.

My bet is a driving force behind the shorter length of Killington's seasons, even before POWDR, is the increase in fuel costs. It takes a ton of energy to make snow, so as fuel costs go up, the trade for extending the season with more snowmaking gets worse.

Last Saturday, with beautiful weather, late April, and what, 6-7 resorts left open in the East?, there were no lines at Killington. Attendance will be lighter this weekend. I simply don't see opportunity for more than one resort to push deep into May, and Killington's probably the best situated to do so with it's location being daytrippable from Albany, Hartford, and Boston, and for those with high tolerances from NYC. Higher efficiency snowmaking along with reduced energy prices may bring back skiing into June. A market is there, just a question of if it's big enough to drive the investment and risk taking.

TheBEast

I'd still be skiing if other educational committments didn't chew up every waking moment not at work or at home with my daughter (studying for the Chartered Financial Analyst exam, level 2).....this forum kills my productivity level.....8-(

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I think a lot of people voting yes would not likely put their money where their mouth is. No offense, but the TR section of this site was not exactly jam packed for April and lots of folks were talking about hanging it up this past weekend with four areas offering spring skiing this coming weekend. I just don't see it really happening even if people want it to happen. First weekend in May is the best we are going to get from now on.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think a lot of people voting yes would not likely put their money where their mouth is. No offense, but the TR section of this site was not exactly jam packed for April and lots of folks were talking about hanging it up this past weekend with four areas offering spring skiing this coming weekend. I just don't see it really happening even if people want it to happen. First weekend in May is the best we are going to get from now on.

+ 1. I'm not sure if folks are noticing the distinction between the first two, considering how few (well, one besides me) have voted for #2.

wa-loaf

I'd pay, but not for mid-season prices. Right now I'm done for the season, but other years most definitely.

mondeo

But think of it this way: there was a lot of people talking about hanging it up after the second to last weekend. Take someone that can only get out every three weeks or so due to family obligations or something of the sort, and resorts going a couple weeks longer could bring in a few of those. Plus, let's assume that with 4 resorts left, all make a profit this weekend. You only need 1/4th of the people that go skiing this weekend to make the remaining one ski area profitable.

Here's the question: what has fundamentally changed in the last 10 years that would make skiing into June unprofitable now when Killington made it work before? One is energy costs. Maybe now you need to keep a terrain park up and trails groomed. Maybe, because the skiers still going Memorial Day can probably handle bumps decently. But there may be more maintenance required. I doubt the level of passion among skiers has changed substantially.

Zand

I'm going to Killington this weekend for $39. If they were open till June, I'd probably go once or twice between now and then... but other than that it gets a bit old skiing the same run.