• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

early riding

mikiecunningham86

Hi everyone i'm new to this site was wondering if anyone has been up to killington or okemo this year yet and how it is. Is it worth it to go early or just wait until there are more trails open?

powhunter

Theres a few K reports posted...Not sure about Okemo....Early season is always limited terrain....Expect a pretty good expansion this week

Steveo

mikiecunningham86

cool yea i have a few days off at the end of this week was thinkin about getting some runs in just hate to make the drive for mininal trails or icy conditions i'll check out the trail report

Rambo

If you go early season be extra alert for speeding boarders and skiers.

Last edited:

xwhaler

I skied Okemo last Saturday and it was pretty terrible to be honest. It was warm Friday so snow was nice and soft but then it got cold overnight and everything turned into frozen granular nightmare.
Very icy, trails got scraped down quickly. Too many folks as well on limited terrain. For $55 not really a very good value considering we only skied 2 hours!

Looks like they have opened more terrain up though in the past few days so this wknd may be decent up there.

snosharkrider

i skiied okemo last friday and saturday (11/23 & 11/24). friday was ok given the warm temps as the manmade surface softened and the crowds weren't too bad. saturday was a bit rough. okemo wasn't able to make snow given the temps and a fair amount of people showed up. it created bottlenecks on the steeper sections of world cup and sapphire as the snow piled up in spots creating bumps amidst icy sections. quite simply some people had no business skiing on these trails in their condition.

okemo plans on opening more trails including solitude for the weekend.

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

I would say this weekend it near Catskills Hunter will have a lot of good expert stuff open, I'm sure and I would think snow will be nice because they have been making it all week.

bdfreetuna

Been to Killington twice two weeks ago it was icey last week it was soft like spring.

Since there are fewer trails open they will get more traffic and skiied off quicker.. so it's more important now than mid-winter to choose your days carefully. This coming Saturday looks like a sure bet for good conditions and also more trails opening up at most places.

And starting Sunday will be shitty for a few days, and then probably icey for another few days once it refreezes.

Stratton may be up to 30 trails by the weekend BTW. I am keeping my eye on primarily Stratton, Stowe and Jiminy Peak... mostly because I'd like to start skiing somewhere besides Kmart this season. I love Killington, don't get me wrong.. but variety is the spice of life.

Killington is like a beater mountain for me. I'll ski that place more often really early season or really late season. A mountain like Stowe I feel like I'd be wasting it if I were to go up there now and only ski a dozen or two trails and none of the woods or backcountry.

ScottySkis

Been to Killington twice two weeks ago it was icey last week it was soft like spring.

Since there are fewer trails open they will get more traffic and skiied off quicker.. so it's more important now than mid-winter to choose your days carefully. This coming Saturday looks like a sure bet for good conditions and also more trails opening up at most places.

And starting Sunday will be shitty for a few days, and then probably icey for another few days once it refreezes.

Stratton may be up to 30 trails by the weekend BTW. I am keeping my eye on primarily Stratton, Stowe and Jiminy Peak... mostly because I'd like to start skiing somewhere besides Kmart this season. I love Killington, don't get me wrong.. but variety is the spice of life.

Killington is like a beater mountain for me. I'll ski that place more often really early season or really late season. A mountain like Stowe I feel like I'd be wasting it if I were to go up there now and only ski a dozen or two trails and none of the woods or backcountry.
I agree it's not worth driving all the way to north Vermont and spending$ and time this early in a season, I am also thinking Stratton or Jiminy on Saturday.

ScottySkis

Fyi Stratton has $39 lift tickets for this weekend Dec 1 and 2 if you buy online by Friday , tomorrow.