• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eclipse PSA

Cornhead

Did anyone else notice a bit of red at the bottom of the corona? Solar flare?

ceo

Yup, that was a prominence. That made it extra awesome, seeing a solar prominence with my bare eyes.

parahelia

I noticed it too, around 7 o'clock on the corona. Not a complete surprise given timing in the current solar cycle (high sunspot activity). So cool to see with the naked eye!

abc

Also, a star appeared very close to the sun.

Very cool. Everything they told you at astronomy class, to see it with naked eyes

BodeMiller1

There was a halo. Around the halo was a rainbow. Weird colors, ROYGBIV (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet).
Not KISS butt okay.

Attachments

• IMG_20240408_153731.jpeg
    IMG_20240408_153731.jpeg
    526.3 KB · Views: 4

Zermatt

Prominences. According to the people next to us they were huge.

They were so bright my wife thought we weren’t in totality. They seemed to drown out the corona a bit.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Hey everyone, I haven't posted here in a LONG time, but I figured I'd share a few photos I took of the eclipse. Totality is was incredible. I was in Newport, VT looking across at Jay Peak (under the bottom "sun" in wide angle composite photo). Yes, the little red things sticking out were large prominences that are roughly the size of the Earth. The star you could see below the eclipsed sun was actually Venus. Jupiter was also visible to the upper left.

65percent-6916 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

DiamondRing-6978 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

BaileysBeads-6981 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Totality-7006 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Southern hemisphere prominence-7023 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

CompositeWM- by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Hawk

My expeience at Sugarbush was one of the best I have had in my life. I will never forget. Skied MRG Sat. Excellent Pow, Killington Sun. Excellent with some Pow early and then Full on Spring. Skied Mon. morning until 2 at Sugarbush. Watched the Grift Play Dark side of the Moon. That requires a whole different conversation. It was really good. They nailed it but that is what I would expect from them. Walked away from the plaza with my Wife over and beyond the Gatehouse lift to be meore alone. We were totally overwhelmed. The beauty and the feeling we got from seeing this event was indiscribable. I can't put it in words. We felt so small. It was like standing in space and witnessing something so large. Never will forget it. We might have to go to Northern Spain in 2 years.

We stayed until tuesday morning, packed a coffee and an egg sandwich and were back on the North shore of Boston in 3hr 15 minutes. Just about normal.

da-bum

I was observing the eclipse off a boat near Isla Socorro a few couple hundred miles off Mexico mainland. The whole sky shot during totality was taken with action cam that had no exposure control, thus the eclipsed sun was way overexposed. Others are just handheld shot on a Sony RX100M3 with eclipse glasses in front of camera. Some other guy brought a long zoom for his full frame mirrorless with a ND filter, mounted on a tripod with gimbal head and shooting off a remote control. Apparently nothing worked, ND filter was too dark, making the camera think the lens cover is on, plus the remote didn't fire.

The coolest part is when totality happened, the bright sun basically switched off and all you see is a hole in its place. Its as if one can climb into that hole. Very surreal.

DSC06621~2.JPGDSC06628~2.JPGDSC06629~2.JPG1712970169020_SING_00144~4.JPG

abc

Everybody’s totality shot looks just like that. It’s capturing the corona correctly. (Well, except those taken with cell phone which has a solid white ring where the corona was)

To get the “diamond ring” image, one need to purposely under expose quite a bit.

Some other guy brought a long zoom for his full frame mirrorless with a ND filter, mounted on a tripod with gimbal head and shooting off a remote control.
A tripod on a boat that pitches and rocks constantly? 🤔

I wonder how well that would work…

Last edited:

da-bum

Everybody’s totality shot looks just like that. It’s capturing the corona correctly. (Well, except those taken with cell phone which has a solid white ring where the corona was)

To get the “diamond ring” image, one need to purposely under expose quite a bit.

A tripod on a boat that pitches and rocks constantly? 🤔

I wonder how well that would work…
The gimbal head should have kept it steady. He apparently had a bunch of printout on the procedure, but he probably should have practiced it on the uneclipsed sun a day or two earlier.

I thought of bringing a DSLR and similar tripod setup, but hearing about the constant high clouds near the island and Mexico's excessive taxing on additional cameras and housing brought into the country, I decided to eschew all those additions and bring one camera and one housing (gopro and phone cameras don't count).

I didn't even spend that much time taking pictures, maybe 10 shots during totality, with the rest of the time enjoying the event. We did observe the wisps of the corona, but if I kept fine tuning the exposure in order to get a shot that looks like what we were observing, I would have probably missed experiencing the event.

abc

but if I kept fine tuning the exposure in order to get a shot that looks like what we were observing, I would have probably missed experiencing the event.
That’s exactly what I feared. That’s why I decided not to fuss with taking pictures.

I put the camera on auto exposure, but bracket the hell out of it (my dslr can do auto-bracket, which I set up the night before). Still, it turned out not wide enough of a bracket. The lowest exposure turned out to be the best shot. That was -2ev. I think it needs to go at least another -2ev to have any hope of capturing the “diamond ring effect”.

I focus my attention on WATCHING the eclipse. Only took 2 sets of shots (changing setting only once).

I’m glad I didn’t spent much time fussing with the camera settings. The lighted screen destroys one’s night vision. When I was finally done with the camera, and just stared at the sky, my eyes slowly adjusted to the darkness. Suddenly I could see stars appearing!

Looking at the parameters the camera chose after the pictures were taken, I could have easily did it hand held. Or put it on much longer shutter speed so shutter & mirror shake is not an issue. (An old trick when a shutter release isn’t available is to use the self-timer. To do that on a 3-4 minute eclipse is obviously inefficient. But it beats not able to take any shot at all!)

Last edited: