• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

first signs of winter

Beetlenut

Huge Snowstorm Hits Banff-Lake Louise!

norquay1_20100921.jpg

Over 20cm of snow blanketed Banff-Lake Louise, with more forecasted. The snowstorm started yesterday and continued non-stop throughout the night. With just over a month until opening, it looks like it's going to be a fantastic season!

WinnChill

A little late to the party but I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. I'll be checking back as often as possible to see what's on the horizon!

Hope everyone had a great summer!

Cheers,
WC

k123

On accuweather, the forecast for belleayre from Oct. 2-6 has lows of 37, 31, 32, 32, 37. Almost there! :fangun: :snow: :D

For Sunday River, it is calling for lows of 26, 27, and 28 for the 3rd- 5th. Will they turn on the guns?

gmcunni

F Yeah!

In New England, where last year’s weather was a letdown for East Coast skiers, winter will return in full force. Anyone who enjoys the low, rolling mountains of the Northeast knows there is no better skiing east of the Mississippi than in Vermont’s many unspoiled peaks. With heavy snow and colder than average temperatures predicted for much of the season, Vermont, and nearby resorts in New Hampshire and Maine, will be the place to be this winter. New York’s Catskill and Adirondack ranges, as well as the Poconos and Laurel Mountains in Pennsylvania, should also see some good skiing weather this season.

Across New England and the Mid Atlantic, heavy snow in early December will bring an early start to the skiing season. Numbingly cold temperatures and a series of heavy snowstorms predicted throughout the following months should keep the slopes covered with the white stuff for the rest of the traditional season.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
C'mon, that Farmers Almanac is pure bunk. Not even an attempt at using long term meteorological modeling to back up their very general predictions. I am not getting amped up over that stupidity. I am more interested in knowing what the developing extremely strong La Nina has done historically for NoNE. I am having trouble recalling strong La Nina years and will need to dig up that info.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
http://webpages.charter.net/tcrocker818/

Shows that far Northern Greens (Smuggs, Jay, Stowe) and the western Whites (Cannon and Loon) are mildly favored by La Nina events. I am down for that!!! It looks like Cannon's recent 2nd most snowiest record year was during a mild La Nina. 00-01 was a mild La Nina year too. We'll have to see how the severe strength of this La Nina has effect.

4aprice

http://webpages.charter.net/tcrocker818/

Shows that far Northern Greens (Smuggs, Jay, Stowe) and the western Whites (Cannon and Loon) are mildly favored by La Nina events. I am down for that!!! It looks like Cannon's recent 2nd most snowiest record year was during a mild La Nina. 00-01 was a mild La Nina year too. We'll have to see how the severe strength of this La Nina has effect.

There alot of variables that could make winter play out either way. Is the La Nina east based or west based, When does it peak? etc. You say strong but I haven't seen that from what I've read, you could be right.

La Nina's generally feature a stronger northern branch of the jet stream (read Alberta Clippers) as opposed to El Nino's which feature a stronger southern Jet (read Noreaster's) so I would think your right that N Vt would do best. They also usually feature a warm Southeast Ridge. Where that ridge sets up is also an important key. Lake effect could be potent too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

k123

C'mon, that Farmers Almanac is pure bunk. Not even an attempt at using long term meteorological modeling to back up their very general predictions. I am not getting amped up over that stupidity. I am more interested in knowing what the developing extremely strong La Nina has done historically for NoNE. I am having trouble recalling strong La Nina years and will need to dig up that info.

http://www.weatheradvance.com/quicksearch/“mid-term-updated-winter-forecast”#more-5279

I didn't take the time to read through the whole thing but I did look at the maps:lol:

WinnChill

Maybe a few summit snowflakes for Jay and Smuggs Saturday night when colder air dips in a little. Wouldn't expect much with most of the moisture gone but it's possible...we'll see.
***EDIT--Perhaps add Killington summit and through Sunday***

Last edited:

k123

Another first sign of winter..... mount snow changed their homepage back to the winter site and it is a new site:fangun:

WinnChill

Like others who are following this weekend's storm, we certainly like the possibility of low enough snow levels for some summit snowfall (N VT, N NH).

WinnChill

And we may see some good downstream blocking to keep a cooler pattern for our area. Whether or not it's enough to get summit snowguns going is yet to be seen. We'll keep watching.

WinnChill

We'll be watching those snow levels through VT drop through the day on Friday but mainly Friday night/Saturday morning, Jay/Smugg/Stowe/SB/Killington summits will be getting some snowfall.