• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First signs that ski season is near

Bene288

Maybe that is normal out here. In upstate if I see acorns the beginning of August I get excited. I remember building a house in 2010 or 2011 and my truck getting absolutely pummeled with acorns in September. The ski season that followed was insane in the Catskills from what I remember.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk

Los

First ski mag showed up in the mail today.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Maybe that is normal out here. In upstate if I see acorns the beginning of August I get excited. I remember building a house in 2010 or 2011 and my truck getting absolutely pummeled with acorns in September. The ski season that followed was insane in the Catskills from what I remember.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk

Speaking of acorns, the tree by my driveway has some monster acorns this year. image.jpg
Have a funny memory of being in a house in fall years ago , neat place Frank Lloyd Wright type house with a flat roof . Every gust of wind would roll the acorns across the roof to the other side and back .

Tin

Tops of burning bushes are starting to go along with some stuff in our backyard.

13962527_10210719920498385_6155706828122116131_n.jpg

dlague

Its snowing in the Rocky Mountains.

yup the local 14er had this forecast for Saturday:

DualImage.png

A chance of rain showers before 11pm, then a slight chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. West northwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. Total nighttime snow accumulation approximately one inch possible.

I am looking forward to seeing Pikes Peak snowcapped driving to work every day. At least the snow is starting to appear in the weather reports and being talked about in the news.

Also the ski movie tour dates are all published

http://skimovie.com/tour/
http://www.tetongravity.com/tours
http://www.skinet.com/warrenmiller/events

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
"Ridge Season" for glider pilots is near. Cold fronts start up again steady winds equal some high speed fun. Wave season as well this one is on my bucket list but pretty far down , would love to see Mount Washington from the air again . took a plane ride in winter on a bluebird day.

4aprice

Its snowing in the Rocky Mountains.

Denver 9 had a reporter up on Mt Evans in the snow last Friday. When the cold front came through it went from 85 down to about 45 (and windy) Friday night. A little shock to the system, beautiful low 70's when we left Saturday. Gotta to love Denver weather.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

Denver 9 had a reporter up on Mt Evans in the snow last Friday. When the cold front came through it went from 85 down to about 45 (and windy) Friday night. A little shock to the system, beautiful low 70's when we left Saturday. Gotta to love Denver weather.

It is like that all along the Front Range and all summer long. Storms come over the mountains just about everyday (at least this summer) and drop the temps really fast then after the storm passes the temps go back up. I have seen days that are in the eighties drop to fifties with large hail and then in the evening get back to the 70's. BTW they complain about 35% humidity which I find entertaining.

becca m

Dropped into REI in Reading, MA and saw they had started to put out the skis & snowboards :)

dlague

Dropped into REI in Reading, MA and saw they had started to put out the skis & snowboards :)

Speaking of REI, set foot in o e of there stores locally and almost dropped. Their prices are not for the faint of heart. Nice to see gear getting put out though.

Out here Christy Sports is holding a big ski sale and have partnered with ski resorts to sell discounted 4 packs and passes.

hammer

Speaking of REI, set foot in o e of there stores locally and almost dropped. Their prices are not for the faint of heart. Nice to see gear getting put out though.
I like REI but only when I can get stuff on sale. I've been able to get really good deals on skis and boots through them...when the timing's right.

dlague

I like REI but only when I can get stuff on sale. I've been able to get really good deals on skis and boots through them...when the timing's right.

Yup timing is everything. I find better deals online with them then in brick and mortar locations.

skiNEwhere

REI is expensive but they do have a great return policy. I bought rock climbing shoes and after using them 3-4 times I decided that they were painfully too small and swapped them out no questions asked.

Their "garage sales" where they sell returned gear for a discount can be a steal.