• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Snowfalls, Upcoming weather and Storms of winter 2023-2024. Storm snow totals, Observations and Predictions?

Smellytele

When does the 72hrs officially start?? Is it Midnight plus one minute on storm day?? or When the first Flakes hit a State, Mountain or Geographical area?
The Storm system is officially chugging across the County as we type :)

Hey I bat what I bat : ) the Snow gods have to like me a little I sacrifice a Snow virgin every year on a mountain if i can. In my defense we have only had few a storms to this point that were even Snow possible but they will come and as Snow drops go that's how they go. We hold the Cold the snow will come.

Between the two storms in (4-5 days) if we can pull 12+ inches we will improve our base all over the mountains of Vermont and the Northeast for our January season.

Just hold the Cold and keep the Snow as Snow : )
Though it is a ways out. Next week storm looks wet possibly

drjeff

Only Gray Me weather View attachment 60361station is showing Numbers...
I would expect these numbers to end up being greater, if things play out as they are thinking now, since if you notice the timeframe on that map, it's through 7AM on Sunday, and at that point, there will still be many more hours of the storm to go

hammer

With the exception of Wachusett and my driveway this looks like a non-event so far. Any trends on the storm track moving north?

snoseek

It's a little but more importantly a hopefully better pattern. I'll take a sloppy storm if it comes after to fill stuff in.

MidnightJester

It's a little but more importantly a hopefully better pattern. I'll take a sloppy storm if it comes after to fill stuff in.
We definitely have a active pattern set up right now. 3 possible storms are on the way in the next 10 days. Going to be a wild week to set up MLK holiday on Monday 1/15/24.

1st Storms is tracking back a little to the North for the storm on 1/7/24. Lower VT is looking a little better for this one
2nd is a Little more sloppy and wet looking with the Snow on 1/9-1/10 but might pull something out of it.
3rd storm is little far out but glance towards 1/12-1/13 and hope it preforms in the Snow category :)
6:11 starts the Northeast

Last edited:

RH29

StormTotalSnowWeb.jpg

Naturally, on one of the very limited weekend powder days that we get in Southern New England, I'm occupied all day Sunday volunteering at an event. Just my luck. The decision to go forward with it and not postpone was made before the heavier snow totals shifted back south, so...maybe there is hope.

RH29

Models have shifted back to Tues-Weds of next week being nearly all rain. We can't catch a break this year, monsoon after monsoon.

WHoisshane

Jay is near-100% open this weekend. If they truly were lying about their snow totals, that wouldn't be the case while Stowe is half open and Bolton is 2/3 (and they're very laissez-faire with openings).

To be clear, I don't doubt that they're picking favorable locations to report snow from. But they've had an incredible early season.
I was checking online, they have received like 170 inches of snowfall so far, which is more than any other resort in the East

VTSkiBike

I like to think this storm will draw most skier traffic to S. New England mountains but I'm sure Sugarbush will still be mobbed this weekend.

drjeff

I like to think this storm will draw most skier traffic to S. New England mountains but I'm sure Sugarbush will still be mobbed this weekend.
It will be interesting to see how the crowds are this weekend. Typically this week isn't too bad, as it's sandwiched inbetween the New Years and MLK weekends, and the prospects of a sloppy drive home on Sunday afternoon may also come into play. Time will tell

MidnightJester

Storm #1(1/6@"Night" -1/7). Ding, Ding, Ding, Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!!
Slight more track Northerly (Sunday and Monday are the Powder days)

Weather Channel (Winter storm Ember) according to them!! I like the Idea but who should pick the names??
DCT_SPECIAL48_1280x720.jpg

Accuweather
SnowMapNE5Jan10a.jpg

Best Snow-hunting to all : )~