• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Snowfalls, Upcoming weather and Storms of winter 2023-2024. Storm snow totals, Observations and Predictions?

BenedictGomez

..it's still snowing!

Yeah, a whole 2.5 inches rather than the 8" to 12" expected. Maybe you really are a jinx!!!!! :)

On the bright side, starting Wednesday through Sunday a ton of snow is expected. God knows it's needed, I cannot believe how much thin cover there is for this date in January.

machski

Kingslug, bad Karma posting western resort snow potentials in a NE forum.

Why?

Jester's train 2 is derailing out here bad (well, ok, Maine mountains may see a foot of white before it snaps over to wet)
Train 3 is now derailing as well, leading off the MLK weekend and then it drops blast cold right behind that wet. Lovely.

KustyTheKlown

Kingslug, bad Karma posting western resort snow potentials in a NE forum.

Why?

Jester's train 2 is derailing out here bad (well, ok, Maine mountains may see a foot of white before it snaps over to wet)
Train 3 is now derailing as well, leading off the MLK weekend and then it drops blast cold right behind that wet. Lovely.

dot gov clings to an all-snow situation (and a major one) for sugarloaf. my intentions this weekend are gorham + SR/Loaf.

i just made the dreaded mont tremblant back up reservation

my maine plans always get fucked! hoping the gfs is just wrong and this is a big boom boom on tues>weds and sat

MidnightJester

So Storm #1 came and went and here is where the SNOW ended up

Saturday1/6/24(trail counts) -- Monday(Trail & 48hr Snow totals)1/8/24

Mount Snow, VT -- 38/86 --38/86 9" (48hr) Storm totals

Stratton, VT -- 38/99 -- 43/99 10" Storm total

Magic Mountain, VT -- 4/50 -- 8/50 11" Storm total

Okemo, VT -- 53/129 -- 59/129 13" Storm total

Killington Resort, VT -- 54/155 -- 81/155 8" Storm total

Sugarbush, VT -- 44/111 -- 67/111 15" Storm total

Bolton Valley, VT -- 15/71 -- 23/71 12" Storm total

Stowe, VT -- 39/127 -- 46/127 10" Storm total

Smugglers Notch, VT -- 17/78 -- 29/79 13" Storm total

Jay Peak, VT -- 14/81 -- 14/81 12" (48hr) Storm totals

-------------------------------------------------

Belleayre, NY -- 45/61 -- 49/61

Gore Mountain, NY -- 37/110 -- 40/110

Hunter Mountain, NY -- 28/66 -- 33/66

Windham, NY -- 23/54 -- 25/54

Whiteface Mountain, NY -- 25/94 -- 28/94

---------------------------------------

Sunday River, ME -- 44/139 -- 45/139

Sugarloaf, ME -- 44/170 -- 43/170

Saddleback, ME -- 20/68 -- 21/68

---------------------------------------------------

Wildcat ,NH -- 9/48 -- 9/48​

Attitash, NH -- 16/76 -- 19/68​

Loon Mountain, NH -- 36/73 -- 31/73​

Mount Sunapee, NH -- 19/67 -- 20/67​

Cannon, NH -- 32/97 -- 33/97​

Bretton Woods, NH -- 22/98 -- 23/98

I didnt build this Train or Tracks but I helped to feed & seed the storm as it passed my location : )~ with fire, smoke and moisture.

Time will tell where Storm #2 and #3 end up but the Tracks for storm #2 will leave more Snow then it takes away at a few lucky Mountains!! Storm #3 on this long week of weather seems to have a tooo Wet of a feel at the moment but could change, MAYBE!!
DCT_SPECIAL47_1280x720.jpg
page-3-8.jpg

Last edited:

machski

So Storm #1 came and went and here is where the SNOW ended up

Saturday1/6/24(trail counts) -- Monday(Trail & 48hr Snow totals)1/8/24

Mount Snow, VT -- 38/86 --38/86 9" (48hr) Storm totals

Stratton, VT -- 38/99 -- 43/99 10" Storm total

Magic Mountain, VT -- 4/50 -- 8/50 11" Storm total

Okemo, VT -- 53/129 -- 59/129 13" Storm total

Killington Resort, VT -- 54/155 -- 81/155 8" Storm total

Sugarbush, VT -- 44/111 -- 67/111 15" Storm total

Bolton Valley, VT -- 15/71 -- 23/71 12" Storm total

Stowe, VT -- 39/127 -- 46/127 10" Storm total

Smugglers Notch, VT -- 17/78 -- 29/79 13" Storm total

Jay Peak, VT -- 14/81 -- 14/81 12" (48hr) Storm totals

-------------------------------------------------

Belleayre, NY -- 45/61 -- 49/61

Gore Mountain, NY -- 37/110 -- 40/110

Hunter Mountain, NY -- 28/66 -- 33/66

Windham, NY -- 23/54 -- 25/54

Whiteface Mountain, NY -- 25/94 -- 28/94

---------------------------------------

Sunday River, ME -- 44/139 -- 45/139

Sugarloaf, ME -- 44/170 -- 43/170

Saddleback, ME -- 20/68 -- 21/68

---------------------------------------------------

Wildcat ,NH -- 9/48 -- 9/48​

Attitash, NH -- 16/76 -- 19/68​

Loon Mountain, NH -- 36/73 -- 31/73​

Mount Sunapee, NH -- 19/67 -- 20/67​

Cannon, NH -- 32/97 -- 33/97​

Bretton Woods, NH -- 22/98 -- 23/98

I didnt build this Train or Tracks but I helped to feed & seed the storm as it passed my location : )~ with fire, smoke and moisture.

Time will tell where Storm #2 and #3 end up but the Tracks for storm #2 will leave more Snow then it takes away at a few lucky Mountains!! Storm #3 on this long week of weather seems to have a tooo Wet of a feel at the moment but could change, MAYBE!!
DCT_SPECIAL47_1280x720.jpg
page-3-8.jpg
Not exactly buying it on storm 2. If the foot+ in ME verifies that I am seeing on some forecasts, we have a chance of a net gain. If it slacks and we get half that before the flip over, it will be a net loss. Seeing liquid equivalents of 2.5"+ for MWV and Mahoosucs.

machski

NH news is calling for about a foot in the mountains before the rain as well
Yup, storm looks like it is trying to speed up and get out of town without a long change over period now early Wednesday for Northern NH/ME anyway. Still seeing a foot plus Cat, SR Northward, possibly even more up the spine from the Presidentials to SL/Saddleback. Here's hoping that verifies and Friday/Saturday kicks cold full through.

Zand

Planning on getting out tomorrow before Grinch II. Sounds like Vermont didn't get enough snow to really get up to snuff, and I have an Indy Pass burning a hole in my pocket. Might be time to finally check out the mighty Pats Peak.

MidnightJester

the 6 PM GFS run also has saturday trending colder...

i really want my maine plan to hold. tremblant is a pain in the balls.
The Maine trip looks like a better option if the Snow come through. Never been to Tremblant yet but it is on my radar for a first time this year : ) Was wondering how the drive is getting there from lower Long Island/New York city area?? Timewise, Hassle, Boarder & Travel issues??

I was considering Bellayre in New York as a Single day option then heading home before the wetter stuff starts and the day falls apart. Its about a (3-1/2hr) drive from where I live. Its been a few years since I have been there and they have had a few upgrades since then I believe.

Last edited:

BodeMiller1

Maine from New York, NY. You have 2 choices.
1) I95 to Maine, then you go North to wherever you're going. Probably best bet for Sugarloaf or East.
2) I95 to I495 through Worcester, MA to I93 through Concord, NH (there's a sign for Concord right after the Brooklyn Bridge)then a right a mile or so past Cannon. Then Rt2 to Sunday River or Saddleback.
The key is to time your trip to avoid rush hours around the cities.

You can't get there from here is all to real in the Great State of Maine.🌹

Everyone goes off the roads in Maine if you drive there enough. 🌲

My best guess, NY to Sunday River 9 hours, to Sugarloaf 11.

BodeMiller1

Going into Canada is much easier than coming back into the United States. Butt, there a variables on top of variables these days. If you're not sure if it's okay to posess it don't risk it. IE food, beer, wine, jewelry, furs, etc. Pretty sure you don't want to bring certain firearms into Canada (or any without the right permits).

The U.S. will make you pay a tariff on goods purchased. 😺😳

KustyTheKlown

Do you get tired of being wrong so much? How was the 24” dump new years weekend?

NYC to Sunday river is 6.5 hours or less. Sugarloaf is 8. Tremblant is 7.5 hours.

The border takes about 3 minutes. NYC to Tremblant is one road and it’s a majorly well traveled and maintained international interstate. 87 turns into Canada whatever. I’ve found Plattsburgh to be a natural stopping point on the way up, and Montreal an awesome place to spend a full night before going home. Sometimes I’ll go home via Vermont or the ADKs to ski one more day. If I go this weekend I’d def ski sugarbush Monday

Last edited:

gladerider

agree with Kusty. you can get to tremblant in 7.5 hrs but if you hit the 87 border on a friday evening or weekend, it could be longer.
I87 turns into 15 in quebec. you may hit some traffic as you pass the montreal metro but not so much if you avoid the rush hours.
one thing i gotta say about tremblant is that around this time of the year, people don't realize just how much colder it can get up in the laurentian mountains so i would check the forecast before deciding.
tremblant is my wife's favorite ski destination on the east coast. they have a great faux-european village with good vibes that ladies love.

KustyTheKlown

agree with Kusty. you can get to tremblant in 7.5 hrs but if you hit the 87 border on a friday evening or weekend, it could be longer.
I87 turns into 15 in quebec. you may hit some traffic as you pass the montreal metro but not so much if you avoid the rush hours.
one thing i gotta say about tremblant is that around this time of the year, people don't realize just how much colder it can get up in the laurentian mountains so i would check the forecast before deciding.
tremblant is my wife's favorite ski destination on the east coast. they have a great faux-european village with good vibes that ladies love.

lol. that faux-euro village and the massive influx of casual/non skiers it draws is why i loathe it so much. that plus proximity to montreal and ottawa, its nearly unskiable on a weekend. a big powder weekend at tremblant is kind of a nightmare. i was forced to do it last year both xmas and mlk when new england got nasty ice storms. the terrain is fine to good. parking at north is an easy situation. but the crowds are a nightmare. and i dont like crossing the border with weed despite it being legal on both sides, so its just a hassle. really want to stick with maine this week.

gladerider

lol. that faux-euro village and the massive influx of casual/non skiers it draws is why i loathe it so much. that plus proximity to montreal and ottawa, its nearly unskiable on a weekend. a big powder weekend at tremblant is kind of a nightmare. i was forced to do it last year both xmas and mlk when new england got nasty ice storms. the terrain is fine to good. parking at north is an easy situation. but the crowds are a nightmare. and i dont like crossing the border with weed despite it being legal on both sides, so its just a hassle. really want to stick with maine this week.

lol, that faux-euro village feel is what draws the ladies. especially the ones that don't ski.
i do agree that the weekends are pretty bad. i would avoid the canadian school vacation weekends.

have not been there in a while but they used to have one of the best ski schools for the kids. not sure if they still do. that mountain is awesome for beginners/intermediate skiers.

pinion

Skied Tremblant Feb 9/10/11 last year. The 9th was an ice storm but dropped some fresh stuff up top. 10th was a chill powder day. The 11th was amazing until 10a and OMFG I got out of the North side fast. Weekend crowds at Tremblant are something else. Thankfully there's enough "not popular" stuff to escape some of it. On the busy day I stuck to Ryan on the South side and was by myself for most of it, and that trail throws enough at you that it's not super boring after the 6th run, plus you can duck in and out of the woods.

The Sneak

Anyone here go to Le Massif? I have an ancestor whose stone home --that he built-- from the 1600s is still a private residence in Quebec City, and I'd love to check out both.