• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Snowfalls, Upcoming weather and Storms of winter 2023-2024. Storm snow totals, Observations and Predictions?

snoseek

My daughter, who is finishing up a 10 day college ski team training camp up at Sunday River today, texted me that she had over a foot, of fairly dense snow on her car this morning to clear off, in the drizzle, before she headed to the mountain this morning. Now we just need a little help from Mother Nature to keep the Friday night/Saturday storm on the cold side and not the wet side!!
It almost looks like a carbon copy of this one. Net base for alot of areas. I'm all in on Tuesday/Wednesday next week. Base is building at last.

NYDB

I'm supposed to hit Stratton on MLK day. Hoping they make out alright Sat.
Its definitely raining there saturday after a few inches of snow and then a hard refreeze. No snow loss, but the surface will be bulletproof by sat night.

By monday they have the snowmaking horsepower to have most everything resurfaced.

I'd stick to the where they guns are running or have recently run. I 've had days like that there that weren't half bad. and its supposed to snow again monday, but may be too late to make a difference for you.

Next week looks promising though.

Zand

Your time is coming, but yes, getting searched every time is very odd. I'll cautously say I've driven back from Canada 50'ish or so times as I used to go up very frequently to party, shop, or go to baseball & hockey games when I lived in Burlington, and I think I've been searched only 3 times. And I'm pretty sure all 3 time I was alone, which is one of their triggers.
When I was in college at LSC my (now) wife and I went to a Bruins Habs game in Montreal and came back across the I-91 border crossing at about 1am. They brought us inside for 45 minutes and interrogated us like terrorists while they absolutely ransacked the car which had some ski gear and clothes in it but not much else. Nice they put that much effort into treating their own citizens like total shit.

Never had any trouble otherwise in the ~5 times I crossed up there. I know it was 1am and the 91 crossing has a lot less traffic than 89 or 87, but we were clearly coming back from a hockey game and neither one of us even had a drink that night. Fucking ridiculous.

BodeMiller1

It would be better for both countries if it was an open boarder. What does it cost to patrol, fence and monitor?
Never had anyone treat me like in the above, but would I go up more often if there was no restrictions. It was close to opening in the 1990s. Now, not in a 100 years.

machski

seen enough to make my call. 6 hotels around the northeast and quebec canceled. gorham hotel confirmed.

sunday river sat
sugarloaf sun
wildcard mon
Timing yet to lock down on Fri-Sat storm but looking like we may sneak a few lift hours Sat AM of white before it goes backside wet again. Good base down now.

MidnightJester

Storm #2 came strolling through and left much more white tracks behind then the mountains expected for the most part. I rode Belleayre in New York yesterday and the conditions were great. They picked up 12" a day before arriving and It snowed most the day starting at 11:00am and didn't stop SNOWING(4"+ inches during day) and start switching over to RRRRR and the horrible ride home till well after closing. Multiple cars in the (Right ditch) and grass on road out from Belleayre towards 87.

"Ding,Ding,Ding" 1 weeks time period and now onto a new Storm System(Snow Storm Round#3)(Snow,Ice,Sleet,RRrrr)(1/12-1/13)
DCT_SPECIAL48_1280x720.jpg

The farther Northern East coast boarder area and Canada especially will be the winner out of this storm. Canadian Ski mountains and Mount Tremblant this storm has a bullseye drop zone for your area : )
SnowMapNEFriPMToSun10Jan.jpg

Winters here and a Arctic blast to invade central, southern and eastern US prior to midmonth​

Monday 1/15/24 MLK Holiday will kick off a "Freezer zone" for most the Northeast. It will be 20 degrees and below at mountain tops most days and especially nights for 2 weeks straight and as far as I can see on weather calendars. Negative Windchill's here we come.
RFSunAMUS9Jan.jpg

Monday will be the seasons first officially frozen in ski base for a while at most mountains. We weather lucked out the last 2 storms :) About as good coverage conditions as possible with the rough start to this Winter season to get locked in.

Do most mountains do a trail reset?? and crush whatever Moguls they have before a freeze over like this with the Amount of Fresh snow they had the last few storms. 20"+inches at a lot of Vermont mountains this week. Its nice early in a season to not have frozen in Moguls that wont ever go away

Monday(Trail & 48hr Snow storm #1 totals)1/8/24-----Wednesday 1/10/24 (Storm #2 Snow totals)

Mount Snow, VT -- 38/86 9"(48hrs) -- (6"(24hrs))

Stratton, VT -- 43/99 10" -- (6")

Magic Mountain, VT -- 8/50 11" -- (8")

Okemo, VT -- 53/129 -- 13" -- (8"-10")

Killington Resort, VT -- 81/155 8" -- (10")

Sugarbush, VT -- 67/111 15" -- (9")

Bolton Valley, VT -- 23/71 12" -- (10")

Stowe, VT -- 46/127 10" -- (10")

Smugglers Notch, VT -- 29/79 13" -- (6"-8")

Jay Peak, VT -- 14/81 12" (48hrs) -- "wow"19/81 trails(11"-13"(24hrs))

Last edited:

LoafSkier19

Timing yet to lock down on Fri-Sat storm but looking like we may sneak a few lift hours Sat AM of white before it goes backside wet again. Good base down now
For sure. Just hoping the wind doesn’t shut things down first thing Saturday.

LoafSkier19

Storm #2 came strolling through and left much more white tracks behind then the mountains expected for the most part. I rode Belleayre in New York yesterday and the conditions were great. They picked up 12" a day before arriving and It snowed most the day starting at 11:00am and didn't stop SNOWING(4"+ inches during day) and start switching over to RRRRR and the horrible ride home till well after closing. Multiple cars in the (Right ditch) and grass on road out from Belleayre towards 87.

"Ding,Ding,Ding" 1 weeks time period and now it onto a new Storm System & Snow Storm Round#3
DCT_SPECIAL48_1280x720.jpg

The farther Northern East coast boarder area and Canada especially will be the winner out of this storm. Canadian Ski mountains and Mount Tremblant this storm has a bullseye drop zone for your area : )

Winters here and a Arctic blast to invade central, southern and eastern US prior to midmonth​

Monday 1/15/24 MLK Holiday will kick off a "Freezer zone" for most the Northeast. It will be 20 degrees and below at mountain tops most days and especially nights for 2 weeks straight and as far as I can see on weather calendars. Negative Windchill's here we come.
RFSunAMUS9Jan.jpg

Monday will be the seasons first officially frozen in ski base for a while at most mountains. We weather lucked out the last 2 storms :) About as good coverage conditions as possible with the rough start to this Winter season to get locked in.
Mont Sainte Anne and Le Massif looking pretty good for this next storm. Almost tempted…

KustyTheKlown

No Saddleback?

maybe instead of loaf! still havent been. i just think gorham > loaf/saddleback will be not fun driving at all on sat AM. def one of the two on sun. too far for monday and then driving. thinking loon or waterville monday

Zand

maybe instead of loaf! still havent been. i just think gorham > loaf/saddleback will be not fun driving at all on sat AM. def one of the two on sun. too far for monday and then driving. thinking loon or waterville monday
Unless the Loaf has real good snow (and I'm assuming it won't be the greatest, even if these storms are a net positive for them), Saddleback is the place to be. Wouldn't be surprised if the Saturday snow gets them to 100%. Doesn't take much for them.

slatham

"The weather never repeats, but it does rhyme".

Next storm looks to be a very similar net gainer but as modeled now will change all places NE USA. Right now storm looks slightly behind this past one time wise so rain likely continues for Saturday morning. But this last storm ended up faster than modeled 3 days out so maybe it clears for Saturday ski day.

One thing to keep in mind - it will get very cold on backside with straight west winds and completely open Great Lakes. Open like they are in Nov and early December. This could aid some upslope, it not put outright streamers into the mountains. We all know how far a couple inches go in resurfacing. Of course there are certain areas that if trajectory is right could win big........

Someone will have way more fun late this weekend than they are expecting right now.

And there is potential after this weekend for sure.

drjeff

Maybe the KS effect is real...
You're getting the goods in UT as well though! My son flew out there on Saturday, and has been taunting me with powder pics the last few days. He did his part to help the storm cycle out there when his friend, who goes to U of U, told him that he didn't need to bring his 106 underfoot skis, but his 96 underfoot skis out there since it wasn't that great..... He's wishing he had his 106's now!