• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Snowfalls, Upcoming weather and Storms of winter 2023-2024. Storm snow totals, Observations and Predictions?

BodeMiller1

Do you get tired of being wrong so much? How was the 24” dump new years weekend?

NYC to Sunday river is 6.5 hours or less. Sugarloaf is 8. Tremblant is 7.5 hours.

The border takes about 3 minutes. NYC to Tremblant is one road and it’s a majorly well traveled and maintained international interstate. 87 turns into Canada whatever. I’ve found Plattsburgh to be a natural stopping point on the way up, and Montreal an awesome place to spend a full night before going home. Sometimes I’ll go home via Vermont or the ADKs to ski one more day. If I go this weekend I’d def ski sugarbush Monday
In a 65MPH zone how fast are you going?
Being wrong all the time can be fun.

I've never came back into the States without being searched.

LoafSkier19

Anyone here go to Le Massif? I have an ancestor whose stone home --that he built-- from the 1600s is still a private residence in Quebec City, and I'd love to check out both.
Le Massif is a great mountain. 2000+ vertical ft, plenty of glades, bumps, groomers. And one of the most unique views overlooking the St. Lawrence. Just wish it was a little closer of a drive or I’d go a lot more

KustyTheKlown

In a 65MPH zone how fast are you going?
Being wrong all the time can be fun.

I've never came back into the States without being searched.

you drive 65 on interstates?

the cruise gets set between 75 and 80.

your estimates are completely wrong. considering you dont drive from nyc to northern new england ever, maybe stay in your lane bub.

i have driven over the canadian border at least 10 times in each direction. i have never ever been asked more than the cursory 'where are you from, where are you going, how long are you going to/have been in canada, are you carrying anything weird'. and then on my way. if you're being searched every time then something about you or your vehicle is extremely sketchy. that tracks.

BodeMiller1

Anyone here go to Le Massif? I have an ancestor whose stone home --that he built-- from the 1600s is still a private residence in Quebec City, and I'd love to check out both.
Only been to Q
you drive 65 on interstates?

the cruise gets set between 75 and 80.

your estimates are completely wrong. considering you dont drive from nyc to northern new england ever, maybe stay in your lane bub.

i have driven over the canadian border at least 10 times in each direction. i have never ever been asked more than the cursory 'where are you from, where are you going, how long are you going to/have been in canada, are you carrying anything weird'. and then on my way. if you're being searched every time then something about you or your vehicle is extremely sketchy. that tracks.
I lived in Baltimore, MD for two years. I know the roads, Drive to Eastern TN a couple of times a year. I like the Interstates in N.H because I built them.

Very Truly Yours

David the Great

KustyTheKlown

your drives from maryland to tennessee really inform the drive time from nyc to western maine.

BenedictGomez

i have driven over the canadian border at least 10 times in each direction. i have never ever been asked more than the cursory 'where are you from, where are you going, how long are you going to/have been in canada, are you carrying anything weird'.

Your time is coming, but yes, getting searched every time is very odd. I'll cautously say I've driven back from Canada 50'ish or so times as I used to go up very frequently to party, shop, or go to baseball & hockey games when I lived in Burlington, and I think I've been searched only 3 times. And I'm pretty sure all 3 time I was alone, which is one of their triggers.

BodeMiller1

Your time is coming, but yes, getting searched every time is very odd. I'll cautously say I've driven back from Canada 50'ish or so times as I used to go up very frequently to party, shop, or go to baseball & hockey games when I lived in Burlington, and I think I've been searched only 3 times. And I'm pretty sure all 3 time I was alone, which is one of their triggers.
I'm normally alone. I just bring a book and give them the keys.
As long as you're nice and don't give them a hard time.
"You have been randomly chosen to be searched".
"Okay, here's my keys, I'll over there".

When you give them the keys they pretty much think he's got nothing to hide".

When I go into Maine it's because there'snow snow. So, there's snow and ice on the road.

Driving in the mountains long distances at high speeds are is a recipe for disaster.

zyk

Okay, the low is going to go further South than forecast. Mountains are going to get wet snow and lots of it. No rain above 2,300'.
How far south? Belleayre got some before I left today. Enough to make the roads quite bad until I got down the hill. Snowing at home, very wet. Currently 34 degrees.

BodeMiller1

How far south? Belleayre got some before I left today. Enough to make the roads quite bad until I got down the hill. Snowing at home, very wet. Currently 34 degrees.
At this point we don't know.👍

Edit: there are two lows North of the 45th parallel. The good news is it's January and cold air then another storm.🐰🐻❄️

Last edited:

BodeMiller1

This is tomorrow. No huge loss of snow pack
Not a catastrophic weather event.
Let's hope the lifts and such aren't hurt with the winds.

Attachments

• IMG_20240109_212515_920.jpg
    IMG_20240109_212515_920.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

BodeMiller1

The red spot in Maine looks like the top of Sugarloaf. 😊
Wildcat, a couple feet of sticky snow would plaster the mountain with soft snow, then who knows.☄️✨🦣

Last edited:

Edd

Earning your keep I see.

Sweet, Now Attitash can let that sit for a couple weeks before grooming it out. Cams were looking wild last night!
I try, but this ski day is starting rough. My car was plowed in so that was 40 more minutes in the rain getting it unstuck. I was wearing my ski clothes which are soaked. I’m back in the house running everything in the dryer. Reports from BW indicate limited offerings today because of the rain. Playing it by ear at this point. I’ll walk out in 20 minutes or so but I’ve no idea how my day is gonna go.

KustyTheKlown

seen enough to make my call. 6 hotels around the northeast and quebec canceled. gorham hotel confirmed.

sunday river sat
sugarloaf sun
wildcard mon

drjeff

seen enough to make my call. 6 hotels around the northeast and quebec canceled. gorham hotel confirmed.

sunday river sat
sugarloaf sun
wildcard mon
My daughter, who is finishing up a 10 day college ski team training camp up at Sunday River today, texted me that she had over a foot, of fairly dense snow on her car this morning to clear off, in the drizzle, before she headed to the mountain this morning. Now we just need a little help from Mother Nature to keep the Friday night/Saturday storm on the cold side and not the wet side!!